OTA 5.8.894 spotted in the wild

Bear in NM

Reaction score
As a point of clarification, this file could be the final OTA, no one knows for sure yet. The final OTA for the masses will come off a server somewhere, likley one of the ones found/used in the Cheesecake thread. Historically the method to snag the final update by developers when it rolls out is to have someone who gets it to accept but not install, and in this process the folks who understand such things can actually pull the link to the server from from this person. I am betting that P3 probably has other sources, but we shall see. But in either case, once the server is known, then it is to the races.

This update, and the final one once out is going to need a bit of tweaking for it to work for folks who have been upgrading to various kernel/etc. versions. The method for the Cheesecake process for official testers was/is to go from a stock phone, through all of the various upgrades, sequentially. Then once the final one is ready, they update and test. There are so many versions of these leaked updates out in the wild and on folk's phones that the modified OTA is going to likely be a pain (and very long threads) to get everyone covered. There is going to be much frustration here. Our best hope is that a dev. will be able to work some majic, and/or as a fzx (or fxz) will have to be distributed to the stores shortly before or after the OTA, this file if obtainable in a reasonable timeframe might be the ticket. But then there is possibly the issue of root?????

If there is anyone contemplating doing these intermediate upgrades now to a stock phone, you will want to ponder long and hard. If you are still on the original kernel/webtop/etc. right now, and can live with the phone my suggestion would be to sit tight for a bit. This is driving me batty, as I am really anxious to go the dual boot route, but I want a stock rooted safe system before I make the leap. With the "real" OTA.

Craig

MadBlackLady

Reaction score
So can anyone confirm retaining root after this update?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

PhilD

Reaction score
Thanks man...but we're talking about the 5.8.894 (cheesecake OTA),i have it already downloaded but failed to install!

the file listed above in post #18 is correct for 5.8.894 (i just diff'd it with the file i downloaded yesterday from XDA). the numbers in the filename refer to what you are upgrading from, not to...

ripper2860

Reaction score
:icon_ devil: Must resist the urge to install. Must resist and await the offical OTA. Must resist ...

Do ya think VZ will accept "The Devil Made Me Do It". ;)

PhilD

Reaction score
:icon_ devil: Must resist the urge to install. Must resist and await the offical OTA. Must resist ...

Do ya think VZ will accept "The Devil Made Me Do It". ;)

i'd install it on mine this very second if i could. i'm on 5.7.893 so it won't let me - and i had no choice but to install that one because my phone was completely unusable in my area with the stock radio. this is definitely my last moto phone for a very long time (or until they make a nexus version).

dbb

Reaction score
So if you did any sort of leak update, your screwed? Would a factory reset possible fix the problem? I updated mine about a month ago to 5.5.893.xt75

ripper2860

Reaction score
i'd install it on mine this very second if i could. i'm on 5.7.893 so it won't let me - and i had no choice but to install that one because my phone was completely unusable in my area with the stock radio. this is definitely my last moto phone for a very long time (or until they make a nexus version).

I sat pat on .886 for fear of straying off the upgrade path. My issues are not so extreme that I need to risk it but the more it gets pushed, the more I am tempted to jump - especially with a version that its likely very close to the final release.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

PhilD

Reaction score
I sat pat on .886 for fear of straying off the upgrade path. My issues are not so extreme that I need to risk it but the more it gets pushed, the more I am tempted to jump - especially with a version that its likely very close to the final release.

i hear ya, but if your phone is usable in the interim (and you don't care about root) then you might as well hold out a little longer, can't be more than a few weeks before they send something.

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Thanks man...but we're talking about the 5.8.894 (cheesecake OTA),i have it already downloaded but failed to install!
moto upgrade files are named after the update you're coming from, not going to :p

But alas, if you have an already upgraded baseband or kernel the upgrade will fail, need to wait for some knowledgeable folk to wake up from their turkey comas haha.

PhilD

Reaction score
So if you did any sort of leak update, your screwed? Would a factory reset possible fix the problem? I updated mine about a month ago to 5.5.893.xt75

i don't recall if 5.5.893 included a radio or kernel update, since it starts with 5.5 it may not in which case you may have options for getting back to 5.5.886 (stock) and then future OTA updates.

you can definitely get to 5.7.893 (significantly improved radio) which i am on, but then there is no guarantee you will ever be able to get back on the official OTA bandwagon.