OTA 2.3.340 & Z4Root

dgware

Reaction score
I just rooted for the first time, my Droid X.

I put it in USB debugging mode, and used z4root.
The first time, z4root was just stuck on "running exploit...", so after reading at xda-developers I pulled the battery, reinserted, restarted and tried again and it worked flawlessly this time.

Thanks to this great community!!!

DR1VER

Reaction score
My little experience here:

Was rooted before with one-click root... then unrooted.
Installed the 2.3.340 Update
Installed Z4

At this point Z4 was claiming that I had rooted when all root required apps wouldn't run. I noticed that there were two SU.apk's in the System/app folder. So I had to go to System Settings> Applications> Manage Applications. Under the running tab, you have to force stop the Superuser (notice how 'user' is not capitalized!) and then uninstall it.

Run Z4!

After successfulling uninstalling it, use OI File Manager to navigate to your System> App folder and run the SuperUser.apk (see how 'User' is capitalized?) You'll also notice that it uses a different icon that the old "sniper".

You should now have Root like me on 2.3.340! YAY!

sxlxaxvxexn

Reaction score
This didn't work either, I cannot uninstall it.. ;-/

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Don't keep it plugged into usb! Doing so disables the sdcard which holds the z4root!

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

sxlxaxvxexn

Reaction score
Makes no difference, no matter what I do superuser is still on the phone.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
What worked for me was z4root, which I tried "unroot" option twice before it finally worked. The superuser icon was still there, so I preceded to "permanent root" option and I was back to root with new superuser icon. Battery pulls between steps.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

sxlxaxvxexn

Reaction score
When I open z4 it has only the two root option buttons, I hit permanent root phone reboots n i open z4 again and same thing .. no unroot option but I am not rooted according to quite a few apps

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you sure you're using v1.3.0?

When I open z4 it has only the two root option buttons, I hit permanent root phone reboots n i open z4 again and same thing .. no unroot option but I am not rooted according to quite a few apps

DroidForums junkie!!

sxlxaxvxexn

Reaction score
Yep positive. Ijust gotta get rid of superuser.. but how when even terminal emulator wont work.

Cidorov

Reaction score
run rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

run rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin then delete or "rm" SuperUser.apk and/or Superuser.apk from /system/app

This is what Z4root chokes on.
There are a lot of references to rage being used to gain access to /system/app just for this purpose.

Also, if it doesn't work the first time, keep trying and let it run. Make sure to reset the terminal emulator from the shortcut menu after rage is done.

sxlxaxvxexn

Reaction score
Permission denied from terminal emulator whn I try the rageagainstthecage thing

sxlxaxvxexn

Reaction score
still no luck, I just got off the phone with verizon, they're sending me a replacement.. Hopefully they won't charge me for a new device later down the road.:icon_eek:

maderschramm

Reaction score
You seriously got a replacement because it wouldn't root? What in god's name did you tell the rep? I would have tried sbfing at least before doing that, refurbs aren't as good as brand new ones you know...

Last edited: