OTA 2.2 question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drpaul07, Aug 9, 2010.

1. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I have a question that I has been kinda asked around on other threads, but i have read different answers, and so i just want to ask here and make sure that people agree with what will happen..

I am stock 2.1 rooted with SPRecovery installed. Will I get the OTA notification to upgrade to 2.2? And if so, will I be able to accept the update and have it installed?

Now from what I've read, some people say "yes, you will get to update but you will lose root" and others have said "no, SPRecovery blocks you from receiving the OTA update." So I just wanted to ask and see what responses or explanations you guys have.

I've considered just installing a stock 2.2 rom with root access, but honestly it seems like there are too many problems with the roms that people are using to install manually, and really it doesn't even seem like a large wave of people have received any OTA updates, just a very small number of random people it seems. Plus I wouldn't mind just accepting the OTA and losing root, since I could root it with the Easy Root app. So can someone actually tell me about this OTA notification dealio? Thanks! dancedroid

2. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Some Rooted users have reported receiving a notification for the 2.2 OTA, if it was downloaded and installed succesfully you would lose Root as the boot image would be replaced by the update.

Most say if you are Rooted and get the prompt you can start the download but it will fail at some point during installation. There are Stock Rooted versions of 2.2 available (I know Pete has one up on his site) chances are if your device is recognized as already running the version of 2.2 that the OTA is trying to update it to, then it will just bypass you, but I am not 100% on that, I Rooted back in January and have yet to receive an Official OTA

3. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool thanks. By 'boot image' you mean the recovery image correct?

Yeah i just wanted to make sure just to keep my options open. I'm just gonna wait until my brother gets the OTA update, and then i'll check what build it is, baseband, all that stuff. I'm willing to bet that once this update actually starts being released to the masses, there will be yet another stock froyo rom with root released for us to download.