OTA 2.2 possibly bricked my droid

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
RSDLite flashes even on non-rooted devices... K Thnx :D
But that leaves his Droid with SPRecovery, no?... and then he'd be sending it back to VZW that way... no?

No. The 2.01 SBF is the STOCK 2.01, no root, with STOCK recovery, and STOCK bootloader...

Flashing this SBF will put his phone exactly how it was as if he bought bought it in November 2009...

Yeah, you're right, I'm mixing that up with the SPRecovery sbf file... my bad...:)

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
I have done the hard reset a couple of times already and it hasn't worked. I am downloading the files to try RSDLite. Ill post up after I try that.

Thanks

Ps: I waited over an hour on the M logo the first time.
Then RSDLite to flash SPRecovery seems to be your way to access your phone for the next two days.... as long as RSDLite can see your Droid that is... good luck

Again... NO

He doesnt need or want SPRecovery..........

Just follow the instructions i put up a few posts ago and you will be on a STOCK 2.01 system with STOCK recovery (NOT SPRecovery)...

OP
P

Paintfumes

Reaction score
Phone says SW update in progress, my fingers are crossed.

You guys respond fastdancedroid

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have done the hard reset a couple of times already and it hasn't worked. I am downloading the files to try RSDLite. Ill post up after I try that.

Thanks

Ps: I waited over an hour on the M logo the first time.
Then RSDLite to flash SPRecovery seems to be your way to access your phone for the next two days.... as long as RSDLite can see your Droid that is... good luck

Again... NO

He doesnt need or want SPRecovery..........

Just follow the instructions i put up a few posts ago and you will be on a STOCK 2.01 system with STOCK recovery (NOT SPRecovery)...
Yeah, I said I mixed up what you were saying to flash with the SPRecovery sbf file (I thought that's what you posted) .... that was what I had to flash when I had to return my Droid back to VZW, and that's when I had to try and manually update it to 2.1 using the VZW bootloader since my Droid already came with 2.1 when I got it, before I rooted.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It works. Thank you all so much.

:yr1:
Good to hear you got it Bro.... it's 2.01 but no worries since you'll be sending it back right?

ChugIt

Reaction score
+

Good to hear you got it Bro.... it's 2.01 but no worries since you'll be sending it back right?

Actually if it won't update manually (I've had that happen 2 times flashing around for some reason). You can always get the official signed voles ESE81 (official 2.1 OTA). You just
1. Place it on your SD renamed as update.zip, turn off phone
2. Hold X and turn on the phone
3. Let go of power once it lights up, let go of X once you see an exclamation mark in a triangle on the screen.
4. Hit the UP volume button and the CAMERA button (Keep trying until stock recovery loads).
5. Run the update.zip and it is on official 2.1 firmware.

Here's the file....
signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+

Actually if it won't update manually (I've had that happen 2 times flashing around for some reason). You can always get the official signed voles ESE81 (official 2.1 OTA). You just
1. Place it on your SD renamed as update.zip, turn off phone
2. Hold X and turn on the phone
3. Let go of power once it lights up, let go of X once you see an exclamation mark in a triangle on the screen.
4. Hit the UP volume button and the CAMERA button (Keep trying until stock recovery loads).
5. Run the update.zip and it is on official 2.1 firmware.

Here's the file....
signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip
You mean if won't update 'automatically', then update manually........ that's exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned about my returned Droid (which I could not do as I stated because my volume key was broken) .... it will not update automatically to 2.1 anymore, thus why I mentioned about 'manually' updating to 2.1.
Regardless though he's sending this Droid back so no worries about updating in any way...:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Props all around to those who helped. I figured this was the exact solution when I prompted the OP to come to you guys from the news thread this was first posted on but, not being 100% sure, I didn't want to risk further damaging the phone.

As previously said, :yr1:.

JacobD

Reaction score
Great information here. I have the same issue, OTA update installed last night and phone has not been able to boot past M screen since. I have the software that was suggested but at this point I cant get my computer to recognize the phone. Is there any way to access the SD card with the phone in this condition.

As a side note the battery is dead from trying to boot constantly and I can't plug it in to the wall without it trying to boot so I am not sure if it is charging or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Great information here. I have the same issue, OTA update installed last night and phone has not been able to boot past M screen since. I have the software that was suggested but at this point I cant get my computer to recognize the phone. Is there any way to access the SD card with the phone in this condition.

As a side note the battery is dead from trying to boot constantly and I can't plug it in to the wall without it trying to boot so I am not sure if it is charging or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Try booting into either recovery or to the bootloader and leave it plugged in for an hour or two, and it'll charge just fine. Have you tried to access the bootloader and/or recovery?

You could pull the battery, pull the SD card, and then using a card reader access the files on the card. Not sure why you'd need to, but if you had to get the stuff off it before taking the phone to a VZW store, that'd be a good way.

JacobD

Reaction score
I have been able to access both bootloader and recovery intermittently. Bootloader says the battery is too low to program. I got it to boot into recovery and left it plugged in overnight, when I tried bootloader this morning it still said battery too low and dies if not plugged in. I am hoping that the battery wasn't damaged by the constant attempt to install the OTA update.

When it would not boot past the M screen I took it in to Verizon and they tried to hook it up to the machine but could not get it to do anything. There is a new phone on the way, so getting this one to boot is not too big of a deal assuming the battery isn't damaged.

Thanks for the help.