OT.. just curios how many of us own MAC computers??

maslan

Reaction score
I have always been a PC person. Agreed Mac's were way expensive. However - now that i am getting older and still carry a laptop with me everyday to work - last year when i started looking for a new laptop i looked at MBP's. My last two were Dell XPS 15's and loved them. But they were heavy. So when looking last year between another xps and MBP - the MBP was literally 1 pound lighter. So that swayed me (plus work pays for whatever one i want - so price wasnt a consideration). Of course not 2 months after i bought the MBP - Dell comes out with their lighter ones - so if i had waited i might have gotten one of them.

As for the MPB - i do really like it. It is light, works great and is just an all around great laptop. Of course all my friends with Mac's kept saying "dont you love Mac's". My response was - to me they are all laptops. They all run the same software and do basically the same thing for me so it being a "Mac" was not a big deal.

goosedeath

Reaction score
It's simply untrue that mac's last longer, they use the same hardware that other companies use.

I build all of my PC's and they'll last 10+ years easily.

From my experience, PC's don't last as long as Macs. Just saying. Had a gateway laptop, it must have just been a lemon then. It barely made it a year and half at best, and was repaired three times. Out of the box it had a bad hard drive, and the support/customer service I got from best buy was below pathetic.
A few of my friends have had a PC that outlasted two years, but not very often.
Apple's quality control seems to be better as well. Again, not stating fact, just my opinion from experience.

Sent from my Liquified Galactic Unicorn.

goosedeath

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. My last laptop a Dell Inspiron E1505 works just fine. It's now 5.5 years old and I just replaced it with a Dell XPS 15. Sure the Inspiron is a little slow now but it was able to play Crysis, on minimum settings. After I bought my new XPS I wiped the HDD, bought a new battery, did a fresh install of Windows, and sold it to my brother. I expect my current laptop to. Last just as long.

Yes I have also messed with Linux. Mostly in. The form of bootable CDs but I also have a program to install an virtually run windows via a USB drive. I usually keep a full fledged version of Ubuntu and DSL on there at all times. ;)

Also out current family computer is about 5 years old and works just fine. The fact that it has Vista is another problem in it self.

While I enjoy OSX I think Macs are over priced for a basic computer although they do tend to have less problems. For a price example My XPS 15 came with a Quad-Core Core i7 processor @2Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz memory, 750GB HDD, 1080p 15.6" Full HD screen, Bluray drive, Nvidia 525 dedicated graphics card with 1GB of memory, backlit keyboard, and a dual band Wifi N card. The new price for the following options was $1200 I got mine as a Refurbished device for $950.

Now a similar priced MacBook PRO would be the basic model 13" MacBook with a 2.4Ghz dual core Core i5 processor, 4GB of 1333Mhz memory, 500GH HDD, Intel. 3000HD graphics, and all the stock extras like Backlit keyboard Wifi extreme network card.

Now for the money I got more of what I wanted Full HD screen, Bluray drive, Quad core processor. But to. Each his own. If I wasn't. A gamer and didn't have a bunch of Bluray then a Mac would have been a great choice. It's all about what you are going to do with the computer and getting the best one to fit your needs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Not having bluray on my mbp was a gripe of mine for the price, let alone not even being an option, but hey, no manufacturer is perfect.
Do I need bluray? No. Do I need half, even a quarter of the power it or any computer has, nope. Its nice to have though for whatever future hardware requirements there are for software in the future.

Insidious

Reaction score

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330547643371.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330547643371.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 126

catlikerawr

Reaction score
I have a mac laptop and ipad. The ipad isn't anything great. I love the laptop though

Sent from my PC36100 using DroidForums

SANhacker

Reaction score
I'm a PC and always will be.
Running a water cooled Mountain Mods case for three years now without a hiccup.

I've been building PC's for 30 years now for a fraction of the cost of a Mac. :icon_eek:

jays91ls

Reaction score
i have an iMac 27 inch i bought last feb and couldn't be happier, had so many problems with my pc's I've owned not a single one with my mac aside from my track pad eating batteries going on a pc's feels really odd and slow now

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i own a few macs simply because of the speed, dependability and reliability that you cant get with a PC even a custom built one... I don't do any computer gaming and that's the only advantage to own a PC over a mac.

i even use my MacBook Pro to build android roms from source and make android themes.

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
You pay for what you get w/ a Mac. I was using a second hand Mac laptop until it was 10 yrs old. I got a pro last year, love it. It'll last at least 5 years. Any longer than that and it'll have more than paid for itself by not having to replace 2-3 PC equivalents. Plus I can run windows and linux on it all at once.
I don't want to sound like a snob .I don't like what apple has been doing, suing everybody for everything. Their hardware and os is really top notch though.
I love my nexus and Android.

Any actual facts to back up that statement? I am a hardware tech. Myself and my team support more that 4000 PC's and 500 printers and devices for a major hospital. We deal with all manufacturers and OS's. Myself nor anyone I work with would ever say that MAC's last longer than PC's. In fact not one of us own any MAC devices although we do support them. They are overpriced and nothing special.

I love when I hear someone say that they just spent $1400 on their new Mac Book like it's going to impress me. I ask them why and what it can do that any $400 laptop couldn't do and they have no idea. They're not gamers, don't compile code or do video editing. Strictly email and web access. Crazy what marketing can do.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Never owned a Mac. I did use them extensively in high-school though. I've always needed to do CAD stuff with software that's just unavailable on Macs, so they were always kind of ruled out as an option.
I did have to write software on a Mac for a class in college and it was AWFUL. Took eons to compile the simplest c++! Same compiler on my dinky old craigslist laptop handled it in about 1/10th the time! It wasn't just that though, the macs took forever to do ANYTHING.
Other than that, they charge $400 for a $100 hard drive so I'd never buy from them anyway.
I did like my iphone 3gs a lot though! Til I switched to the bionic and found out just what I was missing!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
I was trying to attach a file on my friends mac so I could submit the file online. I put in the USB went to my email and normally with windows u click on attach and then u go to c drive and there is the file. With the mac u have to go into finder and all this fancy stuff and it still wouldn't detect. Regardless to say it took me half an hour of using Google to find out how to attach a file.

I asked my friend with the Mac to help me he couldn't figure it out either. But he says its the best thing out.

It looks pretty. The mouse is cool when its working half of the time. And the keyboard is cute I guess.

The only thing I like about Mac is how you can run several operating systems at the same time through parallels. Everything else is bleh. I hate windows. Linux ideally is the best OS, too bad it has very little support. Other than that I do prefer Mac to windows but I would never pay the huge difference

Go chrome os!