1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

osmonitor app says /system is 77.6% full

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by AutoLuxLexES, Jun 21, 2010.

1. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

Right now I'm 2.2 with 1GHz p3 kernel roughly 25 apps moved to SD card by terminal emulator.
    I dled osmonitor app and it says that my /system is 77.6% full

How do I check to see what is using up so much internal storage? Because I'm using astro app but doesn't seem to really be useful right now

Charley
  2. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

Ok. Somewhat figured it out with astro. I want to remove some of the original apps that came with the phone like Facebook, twitter, latinigoogle etc. I've already saved the app to my sdcard so if in the future I decide to use them I can. Now deleting/uninstalling the apps is the issue. It wont let me for some reason.
    anybody know how to get around this?

Thank you
    Charley
  3. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ New Member

First off...sup Charily :)

Ok where to begin...having./system take up 77% is not generally an issue. Normally you won't be installimg apps into /system unless you are manually updating a system app or perhaps installing a system app that a custom ROM left out.

With few exceptions (goggles maybe?) what you install is going to go into /d.ata/app which has its own memory separate from /system. If that app allows it the important number to keep track of is storage left in /data.

I'm not sure how you accomplish this in Astro as I normally use ConnectBot (a terminal app) or Root Explorer to delete /system apps if needed. You will need to first find a way to mount /system as read/write. I have no clue if Astro has an easy way to do this but in Root Explorer once you get into the /system/app folder there is a button at the top marked Mount R/W. Click this and you can delete whatever you want.

If you want to use the terminal then you will need to first get the names of all the .apk's you wish to remove, as well as going into /data/data and writing down the names of each folder that correspond to the .apk you are removing. Open up your terminal and type the following commands:

Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox rm ExampleApp.apk # changing the name of ther apk obviously
    busybox pm uninstall com.example.app # again changing example to what you have
    # repeat the above two commands for all apps you are uninstalling
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync

Backup (as it appears you did) your system appsa before you remove unless it's something you know you will never need. Hope that helps someone...I gotta jet...Peace
  4. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

Ok. I did not know that. So all my apps should be under /data?
    I'm using astro and file manager which have the options to delete downloaded apps, but apps that came preset are not deletable.
    for deleting preset apps(froyo) i had to type this into terminal emulator:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock3 /system
    rm (file).apk
    mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /system
  5. M Moogle

M Moogle New Member

Like HarvesterX said, there's no reason to worry about the space in /system unless you've been manually putting stuff in there. Also, just randomly deleting .apks will screw things up unless you also uninstall the app properly with pm.
  6. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

Well I've been deleting through terminal emulator because i don't have permission to delete/uninstall throughout astro or file manager.apk.
    And I'm not necessarily randomly deleting either. The apps are unused by me
    And latinimegoogle was not deleted because i belie e it has to do with the software keyboard.
    charley
  7. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

/data is empty for me though?
    using both apostle shows nothing in/data
    Charley
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

It shows up as empty because you don't have read access to that folder unless you are root. If you look at it using terminal emulator as root, you'll see lots in there. /data/app is where all your apks are, /data/data is where apps store their own data, /data/dalvik-cache is where cached binaries are stored.

Some ROMs come with a "godmode" script that allow you to give yourself access to read and write the contents of /data using non root-specific apps.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
Search tags for this page

osmonitor android app hack