OS using so much battery

Papa_T

Reaction score
I know this is a hot topic, but need some advice. My Razr is now using 70% of its battery in 6 hours, with the Android OS using 43%. Now I haven't been using my phone for anything other than a quick check of an incoming email or a quick check on CNN breaking news. That's it for the day. What is causing the OS to use so much battery??

Is there an app I can download to see what that is? I just don't know what caused it to jump like this. Nearly 12% an hour is way to high, considering I was using about 2% an hour a few weeks ago.

Just don't know what to even look for anymore. Please help.

Papa T

EGEM_MAG_COM

Reaction score
Do you have things like GPS, location services....etc enabled?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

EGEM_MAG_COM

Reaction score
In addition,I use anti virus pro....not for virus protection, but because of the many other tools within the app....there is a free version.worth checking out,I say.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I know this is a hot topic, but need some advice. My Razr is now using 70% of its battery in 6 hours, with the Android OS using 43%. Now I haven't been using my phone for anything other than a quick check of an incoming email or a quick check on CNN breaking news. That's it for the day. What is causing the OS to use so much battery??

Is there an app I can download to see what that is? I just don't know what caused it to jump like this. Nearly 12% an hour is way to high, considering I was using about 2% an hour a few weeks ago.

Just don't know what to even look for anymore. Please help.

Papa T
There are a couple of programs in the market that will report cpu and battery usage. Watchdog and Android System are the two that comes to mind...there are others. It seems that you have a one or more apps running in the background and syncing very frequently thus using battery resources. In addition to using one of the apps mentioned above there is another way to determine the apps causing the problem...if in fact it is an app. Boot your phone into "Safe" mode (Power off your phone. Hold power button down until you see the red Moto logo. Then hold the volume up and down buttons down continuously until the lock screen appears. You should see "Safe Mode" in the lower left corner of your screen). All functions and apps that came on your phone will work, but no third party apps will work. Operate your phone in Safe Mode for a few hours and see if your battery life improves. If it does then a third party app (or two) is causing the problem). To get out of Safe Mode just power off your phone and reboot normally. Then add your third party apps back one at a time until you find the one that starts the battery drain. I recommend set all apps that you have updating in the background to manual or at least 2hrs (weather, news, facebook etc)...then do the "Safe Mode test".

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
I decided to delete the launcher app and related apps yesterday. I have been using my phone today about the same as any other day and the phone is using about 3% of the battery per hour. This basically equates to 20% in 6.5 hours. That's a lot better than using 70% in 6 hours. Would the launcher be using that much battery?

I think I will still download watchdog and see what else could be consuming high amounts of the battery, relatively speaking.

I appreciate the comments and may even try the safe mode suggestion for my own curiosity.

djspy

Reaction score
Yeah i've noticed that when i use a laucher it impacts my battery life. I'm using the windows 7 launcher and windows 7 notifications and noticed a decrease in battery life. Not nearly as bad as yours bad still noticeable.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I decided to delete the launcher app and related apps yesterday. I have been using my phone today about the same as any other day and the phone is using about 3% of the battery per hour. This basically equates to 20% in 6.5 hours. That's a lot better than using 70% in 6 hours. Would the launcher be using that much battery?

I think I will still download watchdog and see what else could be consuming high amounts of the battery, relatively speaking.

I appreciate the comments and may even try the safe mode suggestion for my own curiosity.
3rd party launchers don't normally use more battery than the stock launcher...maybe a little more depending on what "extra's" you have them run or installed and using. I have tried Launcher Pro, Go Launcher EX and ADW Launcher EX. Of the three I think ADW was the best on the Razr in terms of resources used (battery/memory). Go Launcher ate up alot of memory.

doniago

Reaction score
I experienced a similar problem on my DX, but was never able to pin down the cause. That being said, installing 2X Battery worked wonders; I highly recommend it.

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
I was using GO Launcher but didn't think it was suppose to use much battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I was using GO Launcher but didn't think it was suppose to use much battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
A lot of people like go launcher, and it does have a lot of neat features...but they call come with a cost...memory and power. Nothing is free...not even on a smartphone:biggrin: