1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Original Text Message.apk needed

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by 02Luis02, Dec 2, 2010.

1. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

Hi, I'm gonna ask for a huge favor from you guys... I have the White Droid 2 Global and absolutely love it... I downloaded Titanium Backup to delete unwanted apps such as Blockbuster, Kindle, AmazonMP3 and all that crap. When uninstalling apps... I accidentally uninstalled Text Messaging Service 2.2 (again, using Titanium Backup free version)... My text msg icon disappeared from both my Home Screen and my Main Menu and its no where to be found.

I downloaded Handcent and its kool yeah but I ran into a little problem... I'm not able to send Picture Messages. With Handcent I am able to send/receive text msgs without any problems but when trying to send a picture msg I get the following error: Original SMS messaging client missing, Picture msg failed. If you asked me, picture msgs and text msgs are two separate things but for some reason the phone won't let me send picture msgs without having the txt msg app that came with the phone.

Can some one please post the original Motorola Text Messing 2.2 apk file? I'm gonna try to install it... if I get it from here and will keep you posted with the outcome. If you for some reason can't post it in this thread can you please email it to me? lacastil61@hotmail.com

Note: Master reset already done 3 times and didn't bring it up.

Thanks in advanced.
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Its not at the very bottom of Titanium with the other bloat that was deleted??

DroidForums junkie!
  3. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

4. bmtbandit

bmtbandit New Member

There does not appear to be an apk for the text messaging service. It is listed under com.motorola.blur.conversations. Not sure what I can send you to help let me know.
  5. leobg

leobg Member

There was a full system dump of a D2G floating around, I guess you need specific apk from /system/app. I guess you can use that to recover the missing stuff.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
  6. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

Thanks for the reply and support you guys... BMTBANDIT.. went through the list of APKs that my phone currently has and not showing that one you mentioned (com.motorola.blur.conversations) i remember seeing it though... Can you send it to me? Another thing I noticed was that I don't have anything that says "messaging".

Also, when I deleted the Text Messaging apk I think I was in the T's (Titanium Backup gives you the APKs in alphabetical order).

LEOBG it would be nice to find that Full System Dump you mentioned... I looked for it but will keep looking... do you have a link to it by chance?

Thanks for your help guys...
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. bmtbandit

bmtbandit New Member

Thats what my point was, the is no apk. The Text Messaging 2.2 in titanium corresponds to package com.motorola.blur.conversation, but I don't know what apk it came from. The package is located in two places:
    /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.conversations
    /data/data/com.motorola.blur.conversations

Hope this helps.

8. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

Boy... this is getting good!!! I went to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.conversations and that folder (om.motorola.blur.conversations) its empty... has no files.

The other one /data/data its empty as well.

I think it'll come down to either installing the ROM again (which I don't know where to get it from) and the other one will be to call it in to VZW and get it replaced... Bummer!!

any other ideas?
  9. bmtbandit

bmtbandit New Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/96327-droid-2-global-system-dump.html

is the system dump. Sent you an Email as well.

10. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

Yes it did...
  11. bmtbandit

bmtbandit New Member

Does that mean you fixed it by copying back the files?
  12. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

Sorry... I had to step away for a min... I'm downloading the file right now and also got your email. Will keep you posted and I really, really do appreciate your help :)
  13. Tvox08

Tvox08 New Member

Reinstalling apks

Oh thank god for that system dump! I've been looking for replacements for deleted stock apps since my noob self got carried away with titanium backup (and I only had the free version at the time), and none of the droid2 dumps were working.

I successfully reinstalled everything except CarDock.apk (CarDock.odex) and Mynet.apk (Mynet.odex). I haven't tried putting the apk and odex files in system before installing though.. I'll try that next. Any other ideas/suggestions? I know these apps are different than the others (blockbuster, amazon mp3, etc) because the odex files are uniquely generated by the phone, but does it have to be my odex or just the apk and odex need to match? Thanks in advance, I'm still pretty new to this!

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Anyone who stumbles across this though, here's how you reinstall the apks that have odex files associated with them:
    1) Move BOTH the apk and the odex file to system/apps, but do not attempt to install the apk
    2) change permissions to rw-r--r-- for BOTH files
    3) Reboot -- the device will reinstall the files itself, you cannot manaully install them.

Note: I got a scary black screen that looked like I was toast, but I just booted again with the power button and it booted properly, with the stock apps as they should be!
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  14. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

Alright so... first of all I wanna give a special SHOUT-OUT to BMTBANDIT for giving us the System Dump link and for all the help... and also wanna thank Tvox08 for posting his "resolution"... Several things I had to do after downloading the System Dump
    1) I had to download a program called BitZipper on my Windows Vista to view and extract the files from the System Dump.
    2) After the files from the system dump were extracted... I copied them in to my Droid' SDcard.
    3) I downloaded Root Explorer from applanet (google it if you don't know what that is) and using root explorer I was able to copy the missing files from the SDcard into the System App on my phone. Changed permissions as Tvox08 stated, rebooted my phone and Viola!!! Text Messing Icon is back with the ability to send/receive Picture Messages.

Note: If you try to move files from sdcard to system app using root explorer... you have to click on ...Mount R/W... to change it to ...Mount R/O... and that will give you the ability to move files into system app and when you're done.. change it back to ..Mount R/W...

Its been a real pleasure working with you gentlemen.

God bless and Go DG2 and AndroidForums.net
  15. Jmac146

Jmac146 New Member

I know this is an older post, but would this system dump work on a droid X? I have the EXACT same problem... i was removing files and backing them up with titanium, yet somehow my mms and messaging program magically disappeared and was not located on my titanium, so i also can't receive MMS texts and the default texting message icon is gone from my apps. Any thoughts???
  16. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

No... it won't work for the Droid X... there's another System Dump exclusively for the DX... I don't have the link for it.. u just gonna have to look around.
  17. Jmac146

Jmac146 New Member

ok cool thanks, i found the droid x dump and downloaded it. question now... exactly what apk files did you reinstall to get your messages working again?
  18. 02Luis02

02Luis02 New Member

messaging.apk but u have to change the PERMISSIONS as indicated on this thread.
  19. Jmac146

Jmac146 New Member

uuuuuuuugh its still not showing up. tried exactly what you said and what another forum said with the droid x dump files i downloaded. it shows "messaging" on my apps, which when i click on that, has a logo for "text messaging" and when i click on that, it immediately goes to the home screen and nothing opens. any thoughts on something else im supposed to do after rebooting the phone?
  20. Jmac146

Jmac146 New Member

whoooooooaaaa i think i got it! I'll let you know if its still messed up in a minute here.... but i transfered another file that said "conversations" too... dunno why that would matter.

EDIT:

ok... it sorta works. I think i get MMS messages now, but only thru secondary programs. My stock "TEXT MESSAGE" app shows up, but, i can't use it... still just goes to the home screen and nothing pops up when i click on it. handcent works just fine. strange

Edit Edit...

ok still weird. now i get a message from the default app saying "sim card full" - but handcent receives the mms messages just fine. what the eff. don't know how to get rid of that
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
Search tags for this page
com.motorola.blur.conversations
com.motorola.conversations
deleted text apk
lost txt msg apk
love message apk
m931stock sms.apk

messaging.apk

motorola text messaging apk
original message apk
original text apk