Original Shadow ROM Kernal

Discussion in 'ShadowROM' started by ridavid81, Oct 4, 2010.

1. RFrisch

RFrisch New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cars and light switches are great analogies, but they're not the same as a CPU. Hell, let's call the on-demand mode a six cylinder Porsche Turbo with a variable-geometry Turbo. Makes more sense to me. Better MPG AND HP. The variable-geometry Turbo is like the variable core (fsb) clock then. I use a HELLUVA lot more wattage running my i7 @ 3.67Ghz than its stock 2.66Ghz, even at idle. Core Temp and Realtemp are much higher when oc'd...

2. lessonz

lessonz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure that's correct. By that statement, Performance is the best governor and should be used by all users at all times. That doesn't seem to jive with the empirical evidence: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

That's a beast of a thread, but in there Interactive is shown to have better sustained speeds, and Conservative definitely offers decreased power consumption. If Performance offered the best of both worlds, there wouldn't be need to offer any other option.

3. js0724

js0724 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you able to provide any documentation to support this theory? That statement counters everything I have learned about overclocking. I am, however, intrigued to hear more since you are a devolper that obviously knows much more than I do about this subject.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love this rom I was using ss4.8 and one day dropped 10% battery in 3 min after taking it off the charger. Today I have had my phone off the charger over 4 hours and barely dropped to 90% a couple minutes ago. I am running it at 600 because even at that clock speed the rom is smooth and seems to still be decently quick and saves a lot of battery also turned of some lights set new values for the automatic backlight so it doesn't light up fully. Great rom guys customizing this one is amazing the options top the rest!

5. revenge8

revenge8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i use P3's kernals and enjoy above average battery life.. nothing life changing... but does the job and gets me through the day with medium usage

6. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    No docs to prove my theory (i havent looked it up). I'm just repeating what i've personally experienced stress testing all the different settings.

And as a footer note; Just because I am a developer, doesnt mean I know more about this, or any other subject then you or anyone else ;)

7. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Over 13 hours and still at 50% battery wow shadow rom saved my droid big time and this is under moderate to excessive use

8. js0724

js0724 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I have been testing this theory. Surprisingly, results have been better than I imagined. I still personally find a scaling governor to have better battery life and less heat. Performance mode was surprisingly close though. I had previously thought it would crush battery life. I think setting your sampling rate properly gives the best of both worlds. I notice that some kernels have it set way too low for on demand to be effective.

9. projekt128

projekt128 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which Kernel/Governor?

10. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the p3 800 lv under clocked to 600 and I haven't changed the governor just let the rom handle it I don't use setcpu since shadow rom comes with it in the settings. Quadrants are still in the low 900s. I'm now going on over 24 hours and have 40% battery

11. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

12. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey so there is no way to flash a custom kernel I has chevyno1 ulv 800 in first and worked fine was trying to go back to it and now I can't kinda sucks a lil.