Original Motorola Droid update to 2.3.5?

Lucenut

Reaction score
I have the original Motorola Droid about 2 years old with Verizon. I am stuck on 2.2.2 and the guys I work with have 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 and they say there have been great improvements. I called Verizon and they said they have no updates for this hardware they can push to me.

Is there any way to manually download/update my original droid to 2.3.4 or 5? I read here that it can be done: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Motorola_Droid "On July 26, 2011, an Android 2.3.5 ROM was made available for the DROID[SUP][38][/SUP] that, like the Android 2.3.4 ROM, has been modified to improve performance on the smart phone."

mrfusion

Reaction score
I have the original Motorola Droid about 2 years old with Verizon. I am stuck on 2.2.2 and the guys I work with have 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 and they say there have been great improvements. I called Verizon and they said they have no updates for this hardware they can push to me.

Is there any way to manually download/update my original droid to 2.3.4 or 5? I read here that it can be done: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Motorola_Droid "On July 26, 2011, an Android 2.3.5 ROM was made available for the DROID[SUP][38][/SUP] that, like the Android 2.3.4 ROM, has been modified to improve performance on the smart phone."

Although there are no official releases of the latest gingerbread ROMs, a smart fellow by the name of Peter Alfonso has been publishing his own builds for the OG Droid which are designed to look and function like a stock release from Verizon or any other carrier. And yes, his latest build, GPA17, uses 2.3.5, albeit with some limitations, as the OG Droid hardware is not able to handle all of the features offered. You can read more about it and download the latest build on his website:

http://www.peteralfonso.com/

Also here's a thread about GPA17:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168410

I should also note that this reply is being sent from my phone running the 09-29-2011 build of GPA17. :)

-Mr. Fusion

-----

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Make sure to be rooted and have a working back up before you flash any custom Rom, another note worthy comment is the fact that CM7 is already on Android 2.3.7 for the D1.

OP
L

Lucenut

Reaction score
That went completely over my head!

That went completely over my head. I have been in the IT industry as a programmer for over 12 years but have never done anything with a phone.

1. How do you make a "working backup"?
2. So you are saying I need to root the version of Android I have now 2.2.2?
3. What is C7 and what is D1?

Thanks,
Greg

Make sure to be rooted and have a working back up before you flash any custom Rom, another note worthy comment is the fact that CM7 is already on Android 2.3.7 for the D1.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Last edited:

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I have the latest available version of this ROM installed (GPA17? - 2.3.7)...everything seems to be fine, except that I can't get it to display the notification bar *or* use the LED for unread text messages, e-mail or missed calls. Tried installing Launcher Pro - still no notification bar (tried checking/unchecking "Hide Notification Bar" under Preferences - no go; also tried reducing the number of rows per screen). I see others have posted screenshots showing it there. How do I get this functionality back?

Thanks.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I have the latest available version of this ROM installed (GPA17? - 2.3.7)...everything seems to be fine, except that I can't get it to display the notification bar *or* use the LED for unread text messages, e-mail or missed calls. Tried installing Launcher Pro - still no notification bar (tried checking/unchecking "Hide Notification Bar" under Preferences - no go; also tried reducing the number of rows per screen). I see others have posted screenshots showing it there. How do I get this functionality back?

Thanks.

Something may have happened during flashing. I'd just reinstall the ROM. Be sure to wipe!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Yeah, that's possible. For now I had to go back to my rooted Froyo setup because some other issues came up with the phone app as well. I made a nandroid backup of both setups, will try re-flashing the ROM again when I have half a day to re-install everything again after wiping data.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Wiped data and cache, installed the latest (20111013). All looked good initially; got the notification bar, went through the setup, etc. However, I had NO phone audio. Weird. Had to restore my Froyo setup again...anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Disregard. Tried CM 7.1.0, seems to be working pretty well so far, though interestingly not as fast as my Froyo setup was.

Last edited:

mgarney26

Reaction score
Wiped data and cache, installed the latest (20111013). All looked good initially; got the notification bar, went through the setup, etc. However, I had NO phone audio. Weird. Had to restore my Froyo setup again...anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Disregard. Tried CM 7.1.0, seems to be working pretty well so far, though interestingly not as fast as my Froyo setup was.

Try downloading/flashing jakesbitemods it will speed up your phone and help give better battery life as well

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums