Original Droid1 won't update 2.2X

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
Long time lurker and now I actually need some help.

Since December sometime my Droid has constantly tried to push an update to the phone. This is to fix exchange support and an update to gmail. So says the update message.

So I accept the update and it goes to restart in 10 seconds. Phone shuts down, and restarts to begin the update. The update gets about 3 seconds in and stops. The triangle shows an exclamation point after the update stops/freezes.

I've pulled the battery to reboot, and the update tries again about 2 days later. Each time I have the same problem and have yet to be able to update.

I've since upgraded my Droid to the R2-D2 for myself and gave my wife the Droid 1. I don't want her to be annoyed with this as she was very apprehensive about upgrading from a LG Env touch to a smart phone. I loved my Droid, but wanted the R2 version for my dorkiness.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take it to the store where they will scratch their heads.

Help is appreciated.

OP
praw0jazdy

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
No it is not. It was once rooted by my IT guy at work using an app that supposedly did a "one touch" root. He did it because he read somewhere that the current version of 2.2 would not support exchange and rooting could potentially fix the problem. It did not, so I did a factory reset and downloaded Touchdown (ugly interface, useful app) for exchange support.

I've factory reset before I gave it to my wife, and also wiped all 3 settings from recovery and launched update.zip. It got farther into the update install then it did before and still failed. After I reset the phone and booted up for the first time, an OTA popped up and still got about 3 seconds in before failing to update. It still launches just fine and operates normal. It's really come down to the update message every 2 days being annoying.

Should I try an empty memory card? One that has not been installed on this phone and try again? If I'm not mistaken, the new update fixes exchange support (figures) and she doesn't use it. Even a way to stop the update notification would be useful.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
A factory reset does not UnRoot, did you follow the procedure to unroot, or do you still have the SuperUser app?

OP
praw0jazdy

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
I flipped the switch on the app and uninstalled it. Not enough?

By the way, I edited my post as you responded. Should I try the empty memory card? Is it possible the current card I load update.zip to could have data stopping the process?

Thanks for your help, no matter the outcome.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I dont really see the SD card interfering unless you loaded the UPDATE.ZIP containing the "no update" file that comes with some ROM's. What do you mean by flipped the switch? Im assuming a One Touch Root type of app?

Sniper_5

Reaction score
did you simply remove the app or did you use the "unroot" function on the one touch root app before removing it?

OP
praw0jazdy

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
Unroot function then removed app. I actually had no part in the process. However, I asked my IT guy who performed the root and unroot how he did it and that is what he told me. The app was fairly new at the time, possibly even the first (if not only. I don't keep up on rooting news) it was done because we both thought rooting would solve exchange problems.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Gotcha, Check your apps for one called "superuser". If you have this app, then it didnt properly unroot your phone. Otherwise, I would suggest powering the phone off, then powering it back on while holding X on the keyboard. Then select "clear cache/data" option, then try another factory reset. Outside of that I really wouldnt know what could be causing it.

OP
praw0jazdy

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
Superuser does not exist. I actually tried the wipe earlier and while the update took longer before failing, it still failed.

She likes the phone, but the update notification is probably going to be annoying.