Original Droid - Starting to ......

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by gpigate, Mar 16, 2011.

1. gpigate

gpigate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So here recently I am experiencing some serious issues with my droid. It will hang up and I have to reboot, the battery life has gone to crap, it is very unresponsive and sluggish.

This can sometimes be fixed for a short time by rebooting the phone.

I am running bugless .6.2.1

* I wanted to check and see if anyone out there is having the same issues.

*If you guys thought this would be bugless related or just the fact that this droid may be getting old

*Any ideas on how to remedy these things

Thanks

2. Vypre

Vypre New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ditto

I have been having the same issues plus some. For example if i go to launch Handcent it takes almsot 5-10 seconds for the screen to change from black with just the Handcent header to actually see the whole screen. battery has jumped from 70 down to 20 before. and most things have just seemed uber sluggish as of late. hope maybe someone will weigh in with some insight or advice.

3. bmcglone

bmcglone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here

Not as much battery loss, 25% maybe. Phone is very slow in general. Just did a clean install of 6.2.1, no improvement. Purchased my phone Nov 2009. Have we reached the life expectancy?

4. DreamOperator

DreamOperator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try another rom and see if the issues persist. I suggest liquid 1.42. My D1 runs great with it. Though I prefer the 800mhz kernel.

5. bmcglone

bmcglone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will Do

What kernel do you use?

6. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to read about the troubles, but it is refreshing to read people actually thinking about the OG maybe having run its life cycle for that particular OG. Rather than a number of posts throughout the customs forum for the OG that all try to blame GB or something else, rather than the one constant variable, the OG itself. Then later I see that person posting in the froyo thread they switched to and what a surprise, the same problems. Still some say it was the fault of GB or think verizon is sending some OTA thing to ruin the phone.
    I agree that I would and will be upset if my OG meets its maker, but it is not anyones fault but mine based on my use and motorola for making a device in which no two are alike.
    Hopefully the newer releases will be more consistent and they will do the right checking of the state of the silicone wafers before selling.

7. K.ZIMM

K.ZIMM New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having the very same issues as you, and tried dozens of kernels to try and achieve the best battery life. After having no luck, I resorted to going back to a completely stock rom / kernel. My battery life has been just like new, and I've been very happy with a phone that "just works." It is noticeably slower using the browser and maybe slightly throughout the menus.

This is my work / personal phone so it was completely unacceptable to go from 100% to 0% within 5 hours. I had great luck with bugless 0.6 on, and then I started to experiment with other kernels and was never able to get back to decent battery life. I ran stock for about 2 weeks, and found a method to root my phone without installing a new rom. I've been running a rooted phone for about a week now, and the battery life is still awesome.

As was mentioned before, every Droid seems to react differently, and this experience is solely based on my phone. Just wanted to say if you're at your wits end like I was, try going back to stock and taking it slowly from there.

8. skeptik

skeptik New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running 6.2.1 and overall pretty happy with it. Though I am finding true that everyone's equipment react differently to ROMs. I would say maybe try a couple different ROMS with a stock FRG83 build backed up. Not so bad running stock with root access... This way you wont have issues, but still get the permissions.

I currently run BB 6.2.1 - Chevy LV1.0

Hope this helps.

#8 skeptik, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. bmcglone

bmcglone Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have been on 6.2.1 since Pete posted it, and have been very happy with it. When I first flashed it the phone was lightning fast on the Pete's kernel. Performance has been downhill the past month or so. Going to try Liquid, then stock Gingerbread with root.

10. gpigate

gpigate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think its bugless, I think its the phone. I am stoked to see the responses of different things to try. I was thinking today that I would just flash a base bugless and try that. if not just go stock with root. It would suck, but get me through the next 6-8 months (optimist).

Whats up with the next stuff anyways? on verizon we are chasing a thunderbolt and bionic?

11. kc0r8y

kc0r8y New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I had the exact same problems. I moved over the Liquid 1.4 and already see a big difference..much better.

12. gpigate

gpigate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    try to salvage it or just go on up to VZW and get the thunderbolt......

anyone know if they are forcing you to pay a tether plan with the thunderbolt if you want to do wifi tethering?