Original Droid Gets Android 2.3.5 Thanks to Peter Alfonso

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-235.jpg

The well known Android hacker and modder, Peter Alfonso, has outdone himself again. He now figured out a way to bring Android 2.3.5 to the Original Droid. This can effectively make your OG Droid more advanced than most of the newest Android smartphones that aren't even out yet, (software-wise at any rate). Here's a list of some of the changes that this newest version of Android brings to your venerable Droid:
  • New GApps
  • Updated Search app that is not in the market yet
  • Gtalk with video
  • The New market
Here's a quote from the Droid-Life article with a summary of instructions, and, after that, some links,
As usual, download the file from above and drop it on your SD card. After that, boot into recovery through ROM Manager, make a backup and then “install zip from sd card.”

Download: generic_sholes-ota-eng-pete.zip
Peter Alfonso's Github page
Peter Alfonso's Website

Source: Droid-Life

paulhusker

Reaction score
Hate to sound like a newbie on this one: Do you have to be rooted to download this? Will it work on the Droid Incredible?

Thanks!

kylo77

Reaction score
Loaded fine on my OG but I could not download from the market....including Titanium so I could restore my apps....

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Oddly enough, I don't see a post or download link for this patch on Pete's website at all. I'm currently downloading it from the link in the original post, but I can't help but wonder if this is still in beta, or if it's a general release?

Dwyndal

Reaction score
hmm must follow this thread to see where this one goes hehe, always liked Bugless as my fall back.

apl3

Reaction score
Does this have the issue that GB had with the 3g turning off after phone calls? When I was running GB I had to switch my phone to airplane mode and toggle it off to get back the 3g. This was on the OG droid.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Does this have the issue that GB had with the 3g turning off after phone calls? When I was running GB I had to switch my phone to airplane mode and toggle it off to get back the 3g. This was on the OG droid.

I'm running Pete's GPA16, and I haven't had that issue at all. After a clean install and flashing one of Chevy's kernels, my OG's been running pretty well! There's still memory management issues when running Google Music and/or File Expert with other memory-intensive apps simultaneously, but that's just something I've got to deal with when running GB. It was never intended for a device with such a slow processor and only 256MB of RAM.

budlight4me

Reaction score
Been running 2.3.5 couple days now and it's awesome...surprisingly better than 2.3.4 no issues at all

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
This is quite interesting... I've been thinking about loading up GPA 16 until I noticed this thread. But the question I have here is: Why isn't this "GPA 17"? (or *is* it?).