Oreo

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Is the general consensus that the Z series will get Oreo, but no set time?
THANK you

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Is the general consensus that the Z series will get Oreo, but no set time?
THANK you

I read from several sources that Moto Z family would get Oreo by the end of the year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I read from several sources that Moto Z family would get Oreo by the end of the year.

Thanks soccerref12 great

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Just curious if that information was for the original Z Series or for the new Z2 Series? I hope we do see it eventually on the original Z Series phones.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks TxDoc. I certainly hope we do see it on our phones. Once the Z2 Force and Z2 Play receive it, then we will see what happens.

Wadman

Reaction score
still hanging on to my turbo 2. Unfortunately it won't see oreo. Oh well.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
All Motorola Devices Which Will Get Android O 8.0 Oreo update

This shows the Moto Z getting Oreo in Nov.

Thanks for posting the info. You know, I think it was my Droid Turbo, which I never had complaint about, waited forever for the last update. I don't remember, now, but something happened and the phone was dead. Verizon has no fix. I was dumbfounded and shocked.

Got my Moto Z Play with the big battery. Kind of a blessing in disguise cause I could add a 128GB SD card. But, when I agree to an update.... I lay the phone down and NO NO TOUCH!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that they state Moto had no "official" answer. They are starting the phones that are "capable" of running Android O, not for certain the phones that "will get it".

That's not the way I read it. I think the consensus is that the Moto Z will get Oreo late this calendar year. Do a Google search and I think you'll see the same thing.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
That's not the way I read it. I think the consensus is that the Moto Z will get Oreo late this calendar year. Do a Google search and I think you'll see the same thing.

you cannot always go by consensus. a lot of times the upgrade is announced for older phones then never hear about it again. sometimes those updates must be approved by both the manufacturer and service provider.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I agree on the consensus statement; just because a group of "tech experts" and "tech writers" say a phone will get a new Android OS doesn't actually make it happen.

I am not saying that the Moto Z series from 2016 will not receive Android 8 Oreo, I certainly hope they do. I own a Z Force Droid and Z Play Droid, so I would love to see Oreo on them. But...we have already received 2 Android OS updates so if our phones never go beyond 7.1.1 I am OK with that.

I'm pretty sure the article even stated that Moto would not provide an "official" statement to their request. So, until Moto announces that the 2016 Z Series will receive Oreo, everything else is rumor and speculation. As a long time Moto Forum member I can say with 100% certainty that Moto never provides Android OS Update schedules or dates; they just don't. They do have a software update page on their website that lists which phones they "plan on" upgrading to the newest Android OS; key word is plan. I have seen phones listed there and then removed because they couldn't provide the update. When we see the 2016 Moto Z Series listed there, then we will know that Moto plans on updating those phones. As of this morning that page says that Android 7.1.1 is rolling out to all 2016 Z Series phones, or will be soon, so there is nothing even close to official from Moto on their plans for Oreo.

I do think we will see Oreo, but I do not believe we will see it before the end of 2017 since the 2017 phones like the Z2 Force, Z2 Play, Moto G5, etc. will obviously have to receive Oreo before we do. I could be wrong though; but not counting on it just because many tech sites list our phones as "capable of running Oreo". I'm not trying to be a debbie-downer, just don't want others reading this to get excited about Oreo on their 2016 Z Series just because some website says that they "should" receive it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro