Oreo lagging way behind: only on .7% of devices

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
chart

Here's your fragmentation reporter with my usual report on how badly adoption of Google's latest OS continues. According to Google themselves, as of January 8th, Oreo is on a paltry .7% of devices. Nearly 7 months after it was released, adoption of Oreo is crawling along. For comparison, Gingerbread is still hanging on at only .3% less. New phones being released continue to come with Nougat. Samsung continues to leave its customers in the dark on when those devices will get Oreo (although rumors are pointing to very soon). LG has just announced the V30 should be getting it soon followed by the G6 'in the first half of 2018'. I know, that most of the Droidformers (including me) don't care about getting the new OS quickly, but it is important to a small percentage of people. Frankly, the only reason I continue to report on these stories is that I want Google to do better. Even though I am not bothered by not getting the latest and greatest quickly, I am happy Motorola took care of us Z2 Force owners.

With P right around the corner, expected in May, is it time to start the... what will it be called posts? Early rumors are saying Pineapple Upside-down Cake. I doubt that. PUC anyone?

Source: BGR

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Now what would be interesting to know is out of that .7 % which manufacturer has the most phones on Oreo. How many of that .7% is something other than. Pixel?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
OEMs seem to be scared of Treble I think. Staying back on Android 7 or lower so they can update their custom UI but not the system.

<3 8.1 on my Pixel 2 XL

Amagine

Reaction score
Google should have baked in the ability to push OS updates outside of Vendors and Carriers long ago.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Google should have baked in the ability to push OS updates outside of Vendors and Carriers long ago.
Maybe Google should bake their security updates into OS updates so manufacturers actually scramble to make things work and keep them up to date.