Order of Hacking

comk4ver

Reaction score
Hello, I am a really new to the rooting scene I've only been messing around with my droid since 7/25.

Anyways, enough of me on to the one that matters the phone!

So, I was experiencing alot of FCs, phone was hanging when calls would come in etc, etc. So I went back to stock.
Now, I am at rooted stage (currently waiting for phone to get past M screen after installing 20100429h_update.zip after of course naming it update.zip

So, now my question is which comes first the kernal hack (planning on using P3's 1100 standard voltage), ROM (planning on using CM 6 RC, or google apps, market fix, then froyo then kernal, then rom?
IDK I'm just trying to avoid any errors and stuff.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
ROM first, everything else afterward, doesn't really matter the order.

CM6 RC-2 is the latest CM release and it's already FroYo, so once you flash that in you're set on the FroYo part. Don't forget to install Set CPU if you're going to overclock.

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
man, I can't believe this I still can't root! IDK what's happening... I am on stock 2.0.1 any help I can only find rooting for 2.1. I can get up to getting SPF Recovery but, once I try installing the update zip file in order to root it just hangs for a good ten minutes on the M Logo never loading the phone. Since I posted (actually before I just posted the note when I was waiting for the M logo to pass the first time around.) until now I haven't been able to root!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Rooting 2.0.1 is a little different from rooting 2.1. Did you wipe data/cache at least 2x and preferably 3x each in SPRecovery before attempting to install the ROM?

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
i wiped data twice but i drained the battery right now to less than forty so I am going to charge, then try again in the afternoon. I'm worried that I might not have the right file. 10.4 mb right? and I'm suppose to wipe data/cache before I install the update file right?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
i wiped data twice but i drained the battery right now to less than forty so I am going to charge, then try again in the afternoon. I'm worried that I might not have the right file. 10.4 mb right? and I'm suppose to wipe data/cache before I install the update file right?
That's way too small to be a full ROM and way too big to be a kernel. What are you trying to install?

Yes, you need to wipe before you install the file.

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
Not Working!

okay, i am about to wipe three times data and three times cache... hope this works. okay so the nandroid backup said that the installation was successful. but it's hanging on the motorola. I'm using the root file from here http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php?topic=1004.0
am I using the wrong root file?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're on 2.0.1 then maybe you missed this disclaimer?

This Guide is for NON-Rooted 2.1 phones not for 2.0.1.

If I could offer a suggestion, install a Pete's stock 2.1 ROM or a 2.2-based ROM like FRG22. Let me know if you need any help, either locating these files or installing them.

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
This is...

I know what the disclaimer says however, this is the website that I saved in case I needed to root again... I guess I'll go to Pete's Bugless then go to CM 6 rc 2.... But don't I need to be rooted in order to install Pete's 2.1 ROM. That's my problem, I can't root!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay, slow down and stop. You have SPRecovery flashed in, so you're past the most important step.

What you do now is download the ROM of your choice -- and they'll be around 70MB.
http://koush.tandtgaming.com/motorola/sholes/update-cm-6.0.0-Droid-RC2-signed.zip

This is CyanogenMOD 6RC-2, which is the most up-to-date build available for the Droid. 73.4MB. Download it and flash it in after wiping both system and data three times each. If it bootloops then there's a serious issue.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
comk4ver,
you ever get this figured out?

moving thread to the droid rooting section

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
sorry!

yea, I eventually got droidrootkit to help me out! Plus, I also downloaded ROM Manager so, once rooted with droidrootkit, then used ROM Manager, which leads you first to ROMS, then kernal! I appreciate eveyone's help!:icon_ banana: