Oracle Wants To Put Android Out Of Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdavies

Reaction score
:icon_ cry:

A new filing in Oracle's copyright infringement lawsuit against Google's Android suggests that Oracle wants more money in damages than Android has earned in its entire two-plus years of history.
If Oracle wins, Google might have no choice but to start charging handset makers for Android -- or scrap the business altogether.
That's the conclusion of intellectual property commentator Florian Mueller, who analyzed a Google legal filing on his blog earlier today.
In the filing, Google says that Oracle is not just looking for a licensing deal, but also seeking fines for past infringement.
Parts of the filing are blacked out, but Mueller does some sleuth work to figure out what Oracle is looking for:
Oracle apparently wants all ad revenues from search on Android phones to be included as part of the royalty rate used to calculate damages.
Oracle notes that Microsoft paid Sun (who owned the copyrights at issue) $900 million to protect against "fragmentation of Java." The fact that Oracle cites such a big number suggests it's seeking a payment along the lines of its recent $1.3 billion win from SAP.
Oracle is seeking a judgment of willful infringement, which lets the judge triple the award for past infringement.
The filing also says Google was in negotiations with Sun to buy the necessary Java mobile licenses, but balked at Sun's terms. Bad move.
A lot of this is probably negotiation through the courts -- plaintiffs always try to make the damages look as bad as possible as a negotiating tactic. But Mueller points out that trial is less than five months away and there's so far no settlement in sight.

Read more: Oracle Wants To Put Android Out Of Business

Source: Business Insider

xan

Reaction score
I think Oracle makes more money these days from lawsuits than from actually selling software and services.

I think one of Oracle's lawyers makes more than Oracle does selling hard/software.:icon_ banana:

Wrenis Pinkle

Reaction score
Seriously, is anyone worried about this? If Oracle is allowed to charge for licenses of java for Android and other phones/PDA's but allow free use from every PC and Mac in the world, shouldn't we worry about what is to come for every user in the world? I know of way too many devices that run java, but not flash. In researching this in the last month, Adobe has never had a problem with distribution of the flash player to compatible devices.

Personally, I think Oracle is a little to zealous in their efforts. AFAIK, there was not any manipulation of their code without proper rights granted, nor any modifications of any such kind that would deem this suit necessary.

Oracle, come down from the mountain and live in the real world. If there's anything that history has taught me about separation of the classes is this: revolution is inevitable.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
Google can get as much "justice" as it can afford, just like Oracle can.
But I think Oracle can afford a little more right now, so we know where this is all headed. :^)

"Fighting so many court battles back-to-back could be distracting for Oracle Chief Executive Larry Ellison and other top executives, not to mention costly, as legal fees pile up."

- http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE83C0KP20120413

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
For those instances you mentioned, I'd gander that from a software engineering perspective all mobile OS's are "bad"

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Geez, everybody is suing everybody. Over stupid, frivolous things.

I'm afraid to look at anybody..... cause they might have a better lawyer than I do.

Don't sue me cause I said this!!!

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Natey2

Reaction score
For those instances you mentioned, I'd gander that from a software engineering perspective all mobile OS's are "bad"

iOS and Windows Mobile 6 do not need frequent Factory Data Resets, or even frequent reboots because of resource leaks over time.
I used a WinMo 6 Smartphone for over 3 years.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Snoking

Reaction score
Some peoples hobbies cost more than others. Maybe Larry just needs money for another sailboat! Those high tech racing sailboats are not cheap.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Why are they going after Google now and not five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.