Options for streaming video from PC to Droid via internet?

silenceforus

Reaction score
Are there any such options? I've got a whole lot of movies on my external hard drive/media center PC, and its internet connected.

What are my options for streaming videos, or apps to look through my list of movies and play whatever anytime from the droid?

I'm using phonemypc for accessing it, but its slow and choppy and doesn't have sound (yet). and even when it gets sound I think the speed of the networks wont be able to keep up with everything

So what are the options?

OP
S

silenceforus

Reaction score
Thats not what I meant. I'm talking if I'm at work, and my media center PC with the movie is at home connected to the internet. Something like that. Maybe a server app for the PC, and then an app to access the server on the phone, with a directory style list of movies, music, etc. Anything of that sort?

omni

Reaction score
I was reading forums a lot, and it seems like phonemypc, a remote desktop access thing for droid, can let you control your computer and do w/e given internet speed upload at home and download at work is fast enough

mystik1

Reaction score
The overhead for the remote app would be undesirable for this purpose, though. He wants a client/server solution to stream video from the PC to the Droid. I'd like this too, ideally that would support formats not available natively on the Droid, like AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and WMV. MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 would pretty much require Wi-Fi, though.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Are there any such options? I've got a whole lot of movies on my external hard drive/media center PC, and its internet connected.

What are my options for streaming videos, or apps to look through my list of movies and play whatever anytime from the droid?

I'm using phonemypc for accessing it, but its slow and choppy and doesn't have sound (yet). and even when it gets sound I think the speed of the networks wont be able to keep up with everything

So what are the options?

i use Orb. It works fine with my Media Center. I don't use and external HD so I'm not sure about setting that up.

mystik1

Reaction score
Orb looks like it could be a very good solution. Unfortunately, the Windows server application gets stuck scanning my files. Not sure if I'm going to be able to use it, but not giving up yet... :)

mystik1

Reaction score
I got by that by temporarily moving some files.

brucin, when you browse files on the Droid, is it possible to somehow keep them in their directory structure instead of all in the same "folder"?

ThermalGuy

Reaction score

So what are the options?

It's called "SlingBox" and I don't think it's out for the droid yet. I have it on my HP Tablet.

D

dvdcatalyst

This might help

I was able to get Orb to work with my DROID to watch Live TV and videos from my home Media Center PC. I found the info on the androidforums website and I must say it is by far one of the coolest things the DROID can do yet.

Forgot to post the link to the discussion/instructions: Anyone able to watch TV on droid from Orb.com? - Android Forums

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/7095-live-tv-video-orb-working.html

edit: sorry, I didn't notice all the other Orb-posts.

Here is another thread that covers this, but not sure how far they are in getting it to work
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/1972-tversity-com.html

JrDroid917

Reaction score
You should take a look at TVersity. It will allow you to steam your media over the internet on a number of devices. I haven't tried it on the Droid, but I have on my Blackberry Bold, and it worked fine..and if it worked on the Storm, I'm confident that it will work on the Droid, because Droid does. :)

All that you have to do is enable remote streaming on your tversity settings and open up the appropriate port on your router.