Optimum email problems

Peewee

Reaction score
OK so I set up my optimum email as well as a work account through the support people and all worked just fine. Then I noticed I hadn't gotten an email in a while and checked my laptop and there were a TON that I hadn't gotten on my phone. It just stopped sending and receiving emails from those two accounts. I reset the phone by pulling the battery and everything came back for a day or so then they died again. This is unacceptable. Supports fix is to forward my other two emails through Gmail which seems to always work which is BULL****! If the thing works ONCE it should work ALWAYS!!!

Anyone get Optimum email to work all the time???

OP
P

Peewee

Reaction score
bump

Come on! Someone out there HELP!!! I just talked to Motorola L2 (Big whoop) and they just had me input my accounts YET AGAIN!! They were so happy when it worked!! I said impress me and have it still be working TOMORROW!!! It will NOT be working tomorrow. This I already know. I asked if there was an L3???? Yup! There is an L3! They are supposed to call me tomorrow. Hope they know something no one else has!!

shadykid81

Reaction score
I would really like to know the answer to this question as well. I've had a comcast and aol email setup on my droid since they came out. Recently I have been having the same problem as mentioned above. I should not have to do a battery pull everytime I want my email. It worked perfectly before, why not now?

OP
P

Peewee

Reaction score
Try K9

OK so I'm tired of talking to Motorola and searched the forums out there. The general consensus is try the free App K9. I've uploaded it and deleted my droid email (It wasn't working anyway) and I can say for sure that I'm not receiving and able to send email form my pop3 accounts.

To me, all of this means SQUAT until the next 24, then 48, then 72 and then forever hours it continues to work. I'll update as time passes.

Peace
Peewee

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have Optimum and have it sent through my Gmail account. This works fairly consistently. I did have it stop a few times but after some research i believe this was due to switching from 3g to wifi and back again.

Set up your Gmail account to fetch your pop mail and see how it works for you. The instructions are pretty easy to follow in Gmail.

OP
P

Peewee

Reaction score
Thanks but no

I have Optimum and have it sent through my Gmail account. This works fairly consistently. I did have it stop a few times but after some research i believe this was due to switching from 3g to wifi and back again.

Set up your Gmail account to fetch your pop mail and see how it works for you. The instructions are pretty easy to follow in Gmail.

The people at Motorola gave me that option but my work email is also a POP3 server and the problem with going through Gmail is if you reply to an email that came in on your work account after it came through Gmail it shows the Gmail account as the return address. That doesn't work for me.

HOWEVER. Today I spoke to an L3 Motorola rep which last night after the L2 rep wasted my time I asked if there was anyone higher and they said the L3 is higher but you have to get approval to have them call you. I stood my ground and got approved. The guy called me today and confirmed that the Droids email doesn't play well with POP3 servers. He suggested for now to upload either K9 or Touchdown and use them for now until Motorola works out an update. My only comment was WHY did I have to get to a level 3 of aggravation to get that answer? It's this simple! Hello, Motorola Droid service. Whats that you are having problems receiving and sending emails using a pop3 server???? OK well we apologize but we ask that you download K9 or Touchdown and use that!

Oh well, live and learn.

Peace
Peewee

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure

The people at Motorola gave me that option but my work email is also a POP3 server and the problem with going through Gmail is if you reply to an email that came in on your work account after it came through Gmail it shows the Gmail account as the return address. That doesn't work for me.

Peace
Peewee

Bummer that you need your work address to show up instead of the Gmail pass through. It works for me because I use the signature feature to let people know that the reply came from my Droid.

Good luck with the 3rd party apps.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Try this:
Here are my settings using K9 email app:
Incoming:
Pop3: mail.Optonline.net
security type: none
Port: 110
Outgoing:
SMTP: mail.optonline.net
security type: none
Port: 587
Require sign in checked
Authentication type: Plain

sre123

Reaction score
same story....

I have had the same problems with my optimum email. I have asked several times at the store and they tell me that it is optimum, blah blah blah. Of course the tech at the store showed me that it worked after restarting the phone and I got angry and said: Yeah, but it won't after 2 or 3 times!!!!
So, I actually have had my phone replaced due to this, since it stopped auto-pushing and notifying me of new emails. I am on my 2nd refurbished replacement. Why do I get a refurb when I paid full price for my original phone and the problem is not on my end? Answer me that, Verizon?
I did try K-9 and just didn't like it---such small fonts. I will try Touchdown.
I am sitting here for the last few hours and my phone has not vibrated once or indicated there is a new email with the LED.
Why was this not fixed in 2.1????? So annoying. Way to go Motorola!
I love my Droid but I have wasted so much time transferring stuff to my 2 new phones because of this problem.......
Grrrrr.....

snappingfish

Reaction score
I know there is an 'alias' app that will show a false return addy when you compose and send-I can't remember the name, but it is in the Market. Can you use K9 with the alias app? I went back to the stock email app, but keep K9 on board. I see a lot of people like Touchdown ... it seems to be the exchange server app of choice. I will keep watching to see if anyone comes up with a better suggestion for an app. I think that there shouldd be a program available, now, or if not, then soon.

fish