Optimizations!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by kiyanofosho, Nov 1, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if someone has made a thread here like this already, but I think we should put all and any kind of useful optimizations for our Droid 2's into area. I know im always looking for ways to make my Droid more efficient. So here are the ones I know(not too many).

vmheap = 32m
    wifi scan = 90
    undervolt of course
    zipalign_apks
    deodex

now everybody share yours. I really wanna know some new things to do with my Droid 2

2. Montecarlo97z

Montecarlo97z Member

Ratings:
    +0
    whats vmheap and wifi scan?

3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    WiFi scan is how often your phone scans for access points when not connected to a WiFi signal (battery drainer. The value at 90 would mean that it is scanning every 90 seconds for a signal.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

4. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Vmheap is how much is held in memory. Lower the number and apps in the background are shut down quicker and moved out of memory.

Sent from somewhere...

5. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    VM heap size is maximum memory an application can consume; it does *not* mean it's total memory footprint, just how much *data* it can allocate at the same time. Therefore, the more resource-intensive application, the more heap it *requires* to run; this effect is very visible with LWP's and launchers which operate on large amounts of uncompressed bitmaps. Additionally, JIT pretty much requires large VM heap as the basic idea behind just-in-time optimizer is to trade memory efficiency for operating speed. VM heap is also roughly the biggest chunk of per-app virtual memory space that kernel can't "fake", share between multiple apps, silently drop and reload when accessed or do any of the other memory management tricks that allow to squeeze multiple apps that would each require hundreds of megabytes of memory under naive (e.g. DOS-and win95-like) memory allocation schemes into a handful of MBs that are actually available. Since it cannot be made disappear from physical memory to make room for something else without corrupting app state, the more complex apps grow, the more often they have to be killed --or force closed in Android terminology.

6. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Alrighty.....missinterpretted what I read elsewhere then. But this makes sense as well.....

Sent from somewhere...

7. ILikeWaffles

ILikeWaffles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where can you edit that stuff?

8. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    /system/build.prop in Root Explorer. Must be mounted as R/W and opened in Text Editor (longpress).

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)