Oppo R5 Used to Slice Through an Apple and More in Surprising Video

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Above is a really strange and intriguing commercial for the Oppo R5. This device is one of the thinnest smartphones in the world, which obviously brings up doubts about its ruggedness. Apparently Oppo wanted to dispel those fears and this video goes a long way toward that.

The video leads off with the phone being used as a tool to slice through an Apple (nice innuendo) and then a watermelon. They also use it as a nutcracker, a hammer and run over it with a car. The phone comes out unscathed each time, and the most shocking part is that it is completely unscratched after hammering a nail into a two-by-four.

Here at HQ we are a bit skeptical of this video, but find it entertaining none-the-less. If this isn't rigged, it makes us wonder what they made the Oppo R5 out of... titanium?

What do you think?

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
I wasnt quite that impressed with the apple or watermelon, but using it as a hammer was pretty cool. It would be real messed up if it was rigged...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Awesome. I would have liked to see the phone turned on after implanting it into the watermelon.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Suuuuuuurrrreeee... "This video was created by professionals PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME"

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I feel like something is fishy here, but I don't care.

I know I've made my point about how this phone is ridiculously thin, and not in a good way, but this was cool and kinda almost, but not quite really, makes me want to look into it more.

And I'm not really surprised that it didn't smoosh under the car tire there. There's gotta be absolutely no room for any kinda movement of components inside this tiny little body.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so it'll survive being thrown from an airplane at 10k', a nuclear explosion and a preteens temper tantrum BUT will it survive in a pocket without bending permanently?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so it'll survive being thrown from an airplane at 10k', a nuclear explosion and a preteens temper tantrum BUT will it survive in a pocket without bending permanently?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
lmao!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Now you are just expecting too much. Seriously.

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
im impressed, but im no engineer, does anyone know if there is no room for movement inside the tech, does that mean heat will wreak havoc on the insides, shortening battery life, processor speeds, RAM wutchamuhcallits?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
im impressed, but im no engineer, does anyone know if there is no room for movement inside the tech, does that mean heat will wreak havoc on the insides, shortening battery life, processor speeds, RAM wutchamuhcallits?
Probably not with proper shielding, heat syncs, etc.

You don't need room for air for heat to make it's way out, just proper channeling of the heat to the outside for the most part. They don't leave THAT much room in any device really.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Probably not with proper shielding, heat syncs, etc.

You don't need room for air for heat to make it's way out, just proper channeling of the heat to the outside for the most part. They don't leave THAT much room in any device really.

Agreed... Point of contact heat stinks (copper or aluminum plates) and thermal transfer pipes (copper tubes), leading to outward mounted exterior heat transfer plates (copper or aluminum) , can accomplish far more than fans and/or air channels. The actual aluminum exterior case can function as the external dissipation plates. About the only way to move heat better than copper (or to a lesser extent aluminum) is liquids (water or better still propylene glycol), but I doubt you'd ever see pumped water or glycol lines in a phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed... Point of contact heat stinks (copper or aluminum plates) and thermal transfer pipes (copper tubes), leading to outward mounted exterior heat transfer plates (copper or aluminum) , can accomplish far more than fans and/or air channels. The actual aluminum exterior case can function as the external dissipation plates. About the only way to move heat better than copper (or to a lesser extent aluminum) is liquids (water or better still propylene glycol), but I doubt you'd ever see pumped water or glycol lines in a phone.

Thank you, professor, for delving further into it than I had any desire to! Haha