Oppo R5 Pushes the Envelope on Thin

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
opposide.png

How thin is too thin when it comes to smartphones? Oppo released a new device called the R5 and it's so thin it can't even fit a headphone jack input, and only has the microUSB connector. In fact, the device is 4.85-millimeters, which is more than 2 millimeters thinner than the new iPhone 6.

At that size, it's easy to suspect that the Oppo R5 will have more #bendgate problems than a fleet of iPhone 6 Plus devices. This makes us wonder if this strange obsession with thinness is taking things too far. If the devices were completely made of flexible OLED technology, it wouldn't be a concern, but that tech is still a few years away. We've included several images from Business Insider in the thread below to go along with the one above. Sound off and let us know what you think of the ultra-thin trend in smartphones.

Source: Business Insider

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are all of those Oppo R5 images:

opposide.png

oppoback.jpg

oppoiphone.jpg

oppomagazine.jpg

oppoport.png

oppofront.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
^great blast from the past.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Too thin = Oppo R5
No headphone jack, no sale.

S5 tap'n

It would make you embrace Bluetooth faster. It's far too thin for my liking though so I agree on that point.

5.2" screen, 2000mAH battery is a fail.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thought I already commented on this thread. Must've been another thread on ridiculously thin phones.

As I said in that elusive thread, we've gone too far. I can't understand why companies keep pushing this envelope, as everyone I talk to doesn't want a device too thin. Sure, slightly thin means that a case doesn't add too much bulk, but the other sacrifices made to slim down a device outweigh that "feature" to me. (Headphone jack, battery size and other specs, etc)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree. With battery tech now using rapid charging as a crutch you will have to charge more frequently during the day.

4000mAH or go home.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dang. I'd need a case to fit under an oversized Defender for that one. No headphone jack? No biggie for me if the Bluetooth stack is worth a hoot. Undersized battery? Pffft. I made it 4+ years with HTC devices on a craptacular reception area Verizon network.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Dang. I'd need a case to fit under an oversized Defender for that one. No headphone jack? No biggie for me if the Bluetooth stack is worth a hoot. Undersized battery? Pffft. I made it 4+ years with HTC devices on a craptacular reception area Verizon network.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Think I found my first pair of Bluetooth headphones. Under $20 on Amazon. Originally over $50. A girl I know has a pair, so I was able to try them. Lightweight & the sound is good for the price. I hate the idea of spending so much money on accessories, but I bought a pair of Able Planet noise cancelling cans & they cost me so much I hate to use them except in my house. Haha.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've been considering the Samsung Circle. If I ever get into town I would like to test them out.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think I found my first pair of Bluetooth headphones. Under $20 on Amazon. Originally over $50. A girl I know has a pair, so I was able to try them. Lightweight & the sound is good for the price. I hate the idea of spending so much money on accessories, but I bought a pair of Able Planet noise cancelling cans & they cost me so much I hate to use them except in my house. Haha.

Sent from my Note 4
Rocket Fish over the ear style sound really nice for under $50 at Best Buy but my favorite in my collection is the LG Tones+, for them at Amazon for under $50 shipped. New in box not refurbs or knock offs either.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Rocket Fish over the ear style sound really nice for under $50 at Best Buy but my favorite in my collection is the LG Tones+, for them at Amazon for under $50 shipped. New in box not refurbs or knock offs either.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I'm looking the $20 price point for a first pair, but will keep those in mind.

Sent from my Note 4