1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Opinions on Screen protectors and cases

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by Tom K, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Tom K

Tom K New Member

My wife and I are upgrading from our Droids to Droid 2 Globals. We got our Droids when they first came out. neither of us have used a screen protector, but she did use a hard case. After 15 months the phones are in good shape with little wear and tear except for a couple of scratches on my screen. I prefer my phones naked, but wanted opinions about whether the Droid 2 Global was at least as tough as the original Droid.

Thanks for you opinion

:greendroid:
  2. daltond2g

daltond2g New Member

I don't have a d2 so I can't compare but I would say the d2g has one of the toughest screens. I'm really rough with phones (no protection whatsoever) and I have yet to find a visible scratch on my screen after about 2 months. And yeppp, I've dropped it once on concrete >.<

Only cosmetic things I've seen is my keyboard showing signs of tear already (letters starting to fade just barly, talking about you @ symbol...)
    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  3. anguish

anguish New Member

I had a screen protector put on when I got my D2G. It covers only the display itself, not the earpiece and such (the full-sized ones have been known to cause issues with the proximity sensor). I have a small scratch on the protector. I don't know if whatever I did would have caused a scratch on the screen itself, but knowing how I beat the hell out of my phones, it was worth it.

I do have a case too, but it added too much bulk for me. I only use it now when I go running (which now won't be for a while due to stress fractures because I was stupid), or when I'm going to be in an environment where I have particular need to be concerned.
  4. r314bd

r314bd New Member

The Seidio Innocase Surface gets my recommendation. I used one on my D1 and now on my D2G. It is a hard case but it adds almost no bulk. The material is resistant to fingerprints and smudges, slides easily in and out of pockets, but still will provide some grip to a surface.

As for screen protectors, I've never used one and don't really think one is necessary, but that's just my opinion
  5. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast New Member

I also have an Innocase, and it's the ONLY one I've found so far that's not just cheap hard plastic that scratches your phone. It fits well, comes off easily (when you do it right, I haven't had it MOVE otherwise in almost a month), works with the extended BP7X battery (if you remove the battery door from your phone), fits in the docks if you remove the plate (I'm told, I don't have a dock so I can't confirm), and as was stated, is a matte finish that provides a good feel in the hand without much additional bulk or any stickiness.

I have a screen protector, but that's mostly just habit. Every phone I've ever had with a nice screen has gotten a screen protector because I figure it's $10 for peace of mind. I have the VZW wireless ones, and they work well. After a minute or so of use, it actually lets my finger slide better than the bare screen does, and is easier to keep clean (I just wipe it on my shirt and it removes all smudges... same for the innocase, actually).
  6. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

im with u, I like mine naked too however I still have screen protector. its a must have on my part. good luck on the D2G.

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global
  7. Techjourney

Techjourney New Member

Since I have the white D2G I opted for the clear snap on case from VZW. It can be a little difficult to remove, but I find it doesn't add that much bulk. I would prefer more "grip" but haven't come across some type of clear case with grip.

After researching screen protectors, I chose the SGP Steinheil Ultra Clear. It covers the entire screen and was very easy to put on. It's almost invisible. I'm quite pleased. BTW, it's a "dry" application screen protector with a self-adhesive.

Hope you will enjoy your D2G as such as I'm enjoying mine! Peace :)

8. leobg

leobg Member

Be careful with protectors that cover area on the left of the speaker grille where proximity sensor is located - it may cause proximity sensor to stop functioning normally. Ideally protector would have a hole cut out in that area.
  9. NiceGuysFinishLast

Be careful with that section of the phone in general. From reading the forums, it seems many people have issues with the in pocket detection turning the screen off from brushing a finger across it (Though I could never get the damn thing to actually turn off in my pocket haha). I froze "inpocketdetection" in titanium backup and eliminated the issue at the source, I just have to remember to turn my screen off every time I put the phone in my pocket (I'm mildly OCDish haha, easy enough)
  10. Techjourney

Techjourney New Member

Thanks for mentioning this. I recently purchased the SGP Screen Protectors last week. Most of my phone calls are made with a bluetooth headset so I never noticed this issue. I just tested what you stated and you are indeed correct. The proximity sensor (which turns the display on/off) no longer detects my face when holding the phone to my ear. I have to use the power button to turn off the display or let it time out after 1 minute. Sigh... Right now this is just a minor inconvenience/ annoyance.

EDIT: Proximity sensor is working again. It appears sensitive to the screen protector. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

EDIT 2: All is well with the proximity sensor. I'm not sure if it corrected itself or if it was the fact that I re-enabled "In Pocket Detection". I emailed SGP and they indicated the screen protector was designed thin enough not to interfere with the proximity sensor and that no redesign with a cutout was needed and would not happen.
  11. the_hamburglar

the_hamburglar New Member

12. Tom K

Tom K New Member

Thanks

Wow, I really appreciate all of the feedback. It feels good to be able to get advice from people actually using the phone.

:)
  13. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

yup that's the one I got. its great, no bubbles, no problems.

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global
  14. eNomineZerum

eNomineZerum New Member

I just have to throw in the bodyglove that VZW stocks. I won't say its the end all be all case; that's left for Otterbox, but it serves me well. It has a built in clip that can be exchanged for a plug if you just want to pocket your device. The case also has a good rubberized coating with a nice sculpted feel. It no longer has creases, like the Droid 1 verzion, that would eventually peel. Overall I love it. It fits over my ZAGG full body skin.

The Zagg skin is for the weekends when I want to show it off, the Body Glove is for the week when I work in a harware store.

The only issue I have is that with the clip the screen faces outwards which is deadly if you nail a corner with the device; however the Gorilla Glass screen is really resiliant and this shouldn't be an issue to most.

Best of all you can go to your local VZW store and try on cases all day... I did in order to find this one, it also retails for $29.99

By the name of Zero
  15. NiceGuysFinishLast

I haven't tried the bodyglove for the Droid2, but I had one on my old envTouch, and I will say that they're the best I've tried so far for actual protection (haven't gotten my hands on an otterbox yet). They're THICK, HARD plastic with a rubber coating. The inside of the cases is usually soft touch felt (the one thing my seidio innocase is lacking). They are DURABLE. I literally threw my phone 15-20 feet in the air (it was a flip open QWERTY, had it open in my hand, slipped on some ice, FRISBEE) and not a scratch on it.
  16. r314bd

r314bd New Member

I've tried the Body Glove for the D2G and the description above is accurate, with emphasis on the THICK part. It is durable and will protect your phone, but WAY too bulky for my taste. Having used the Seidio Innocase and the Body Glove extensively, I recommend the Innocase.
  17. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

I just got a Commuter Series Otterbox a couple of days ago. It's a lot nicer than the hard plastic shells they sell at the mall.

18. jmdale1984

jmdale1984 New Member

I've used a Seidio Innocase on my old Droid and now on my D2G. I even had to pay $41 to have mine shipped from the manufacturer (instead of $23 on Amazon), and it was still well worth it. Beautiful in red, great texture, nice and compact. I had purchased a shiny blue case from Verizon to tide me over until I got my innocase, and that thing sucked. It made me drop the phone, interfered with the keyboard, and was a poor fit.