opinions about kernals

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by simon_lefisch, Jun 12, 2011.

1. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i want to root my GFs droid and want to run cyanogenmods cm7 ROM but i was reading about possibly having to flash a new kernal. does anyone have an opinion on what kernal i should use? i dont think ill put any of the cm7 nightly builds since my gf doesnt/wouldnt really know how to do any of the custom ROMing so i figure putting a stable release would be the best thing for now. it sounds like the best ones would be chevyno1 and slayher kernals however im not sure which one to use. any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Card

Card Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The best method really is trial and error. Even if we have the same model phone, a kernel that works great on your phone, may cause my phone to get stuck in a bootloop.

You don't really NEED to install a new kernel to run CM7, but if you do, here's how to test them out. Install a kernel you want to try. We'll use the example of the ChevyNo1 1.0 ultra-low voltage. Install it, turn on the phone, and see how things work. Is it running well? Awesome, you can stick with that, or try to go faster if you like. Did it not work like you'd hoped? Then you should either go to a higher voltage or lower speed. Try this until you find a setup that works. Just make sure you do a Nandroid backup first in case you have to go back and try something else.

3. jchammer123

jchammer123 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Card is right about trial and error. Every droid reacts different, however, I believe that chevy's kernels are the most consistant. Its the only kernel I use anymore. Slayers are good but they ran to hot on my phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. Its much appreciated :) I'll give chevys kernals a wurl.

Sent via Tapatalk from my Droid 2 running Fission 2.6.1 with Blackout theme

5. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Primed Kernels. Sadly what they say is true, but I'll try to guide you:
    Get SetCPU, its free on XDA
    Download Chevy's 800Mhz ulv, Primed #20 with the milestone app, P3's kernels and I guess Slayher's (never liked it personally too hot and too power hungry). Try them for a day and see which one was the best. For me, battery life is best on sapphire's or P3's. I use Primed though, for the most part and stopped flashing when I got Ultimate Droid, whose development also stopped.
    Consider trying it, its like CM7 (based on it) except with cool built in features like disabling ads and boot animation to make it faster.