opinions: $70 Droid X repair or new phone?

ZenNMotion

Reaction score
Hi, I've successfully searched the forum for help in the past (thanks!), first time posting here though. I have a Droid X that needs a new LCD screen replacement- it has big black spots of missing pixels. I've looked at the youtube video and advice here about replacing it myself, but I don't think I want to attempt it, parts are 20 bucks and I have a quote to fix it for $70, so I'm fine to pay the extra $50 for a pro's time to do it right. Other than the LCD, I have no issues with the phone, it's worked well for me, and I can't really see what a newer 4G phone would do for me that I can't already do fairly flawlessly now- it's basically a business tool, I use the GPS navigation a lot, some light web searching, with a little music loaded for riding trains and airport camping. I like the phone a lot. My Verizon contract has expired and I'm still grandfathered for unlimited data as far as I know. But for $30 more than the repair I could get a new phone (maybe one of the Droid Razr models?) But that would require a new Verizon contract. I hate throwing good repairable electronics in the dumpster, we live on a fragile planet etc. But am I a chump to repair an "old" phone when a new one is just a little more? Opinions? Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You are not a chump, choosing a phone is personal choice and if you feel like you can get more life out of your X for about $70, then by all means go for it. A newer phone would be nice but I understand your concern as to not getting locked into a new contract. So I bring this idea to you; newer used phone from sites like CL or Swappa. You won't be locked into a new contract but have the updated phone you are mulling over.

Again it's up to you, if you're happy with your X being repaired then good for you. If you want an updated phone then that's also up to you.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
check ebay you might be able to find one that works for less than that.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I think the biggest thing to consider is are you willing to forfeit your unlimited data? I mulled that over for a few months but decided to give up mine for 2 reasons... 1 being I really wanted the new S3 and wanted it at the $200 price... Also I was able to give my GF my TBOLT and we were both able to have smartphones with 6GB of shared data for about $9 more a month then we were paying for my unlimited data and her dumb phone.... In the end it worked out ok although we are going to bump up to the 8gb plan

OP
Z

ZenNMotion

Reaction score

Thanks for the link, but here's the thing-- I know the history and issues with my phone, and I haven't run into any limitations as far as what I'm likely to use it for. So I don't know why I would risk a used or Ebay purchase even if it's a newer/faster model, to potentially inherit other problems after I've gone through all the trouble of re-loading all my contacts and apps, getting the number transferred etc. Seems silly, but maybe I'm missing your point? I'm under the impression that the Droid X model was/is a fairly robust workhorse model that's fairly well regarded? BTW, my wife has a Droid 2- I don't like it nearly as much as my DX- too fat, don't need the sliding keyboard, the GPS goes wonky fairly frequently, and the sound is poor and too soft for noisy environments (like outside on a busy street).

OP
Z

ZenNMotion

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing to consider is are you willing to forfeit your unlimited data? I mulled that over for a few months but decided to give up mine for 2 reasons... 1 being I really wanted the new S3 and wanted it at the $200 price... Also I was able to give my GF my TBOLT and we were both able to have smartphones with 6GB of shared data for about $9 more a month then we were paying for my unlimited data and her dumb phone.... In the end it worked out ok although we are going to bump up to the 8gb plan

Even though I don't really use much data, it doesn't seem a good idea to give up my unlimited data when I'm not feeling the need for more phone than I have now with my DX. Who knows how long Verizon will keep me grandfathered, but it doesn't seem like I should hand back that benefit that I could never get back (at least costing anything close to what I'm paying now). The only thing I'd like that I don't have now is the ability to occasionally use my Verizon phone overseas with a local SIM card. But that's just a few weeks a year, and I can get a cheap flip phone for that, just for phone calls. Traveling in developing countries with an expensive smartphone is asking for trouble anyway.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but here's the thing-- I know the history and issues with my phone, and I haven't run into any limitations as far as what I'm likely to use it for. So I don't know why I would risk a used or Ebay purchase even if it's a newer/faster model, to potentially inherit other problems after I've gone through all the trouble of re-loading all my contacts and apps, getting the number transferred etc. Seems silly, but maybe I'm missing your point? I'm under the impression that the Droid X model was/is a fairly robust workhorse model that's fairly well regarded? BTW, my wife has a Droid 2- I don't like it nearly as much as my DX- too fat, don't need the sliding keyboard, the GPS goes wonky fairly frequently, and the sound is poor and too soft for noisy environments (like outside on a busy street).

I was just giving options.. all your contacts apps etc.. are all backed up with your google account..you could be back up and running in under an hour. yes i also understand your point of you know how well you have taken care of your phone. The droid X is a great phone i have one. and loved it while i was using it.

also d2 and dx2 are 2 different phones. dx2 is close to same size as dx just dual processor is major difference.. which i don't know if the dual processor even works with no ICS .. i thought ICS more or less activated the 2nd processor

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well considering your concerns with a used phone, Zen. I think your only option now without having to drop a pile of cash is to repair your X. Honestly, I've found many used phones for many of my friends and not a single one of them has had a problem with either of them. Also, technically the warranty is void once the phone switches owners(it was owners or lines), but Verizon tends to overlook that and still grants warranty CLNRs. I was told this when I sold my Inc.

OP
Z

ZenNMotion

Reaction score
Well considering your concerns with a used phone, Zen. I think your only option now without having to drop a pile of cash is to repair your X. Honestly, I've found many used phones for many of my friends and not a single one of them has had a problem with either of them. Also, technically the warranty is void once the phone switches owners(it was owners or lines), but Verizon tends to overlook that and still grants warranty CLNRs. I was told this when I sold my Inc.

I appreciate the input, but remember the "pile of cash" to repair is $70, not that much all things considered, and if the repair doesn't work I'm no worse off- I then need a new (with a new plan, limited data) or used (staying on my current unlimited data plan) replacement. Similar or less than the amount to buy a refurbished, albeit newer model. And I've treated my phone well, I don't think it's even been dropped in more than 2 years, I think people aren't getting that I'm basically happy with my DX, with the exception that it lacks the option to switch to GSM while overseas. The question is really, what can the new 4G phones do, or will be able to do soon, that my DX can't? And then I can consider whether those new capabilities have much potential value to me. On the other hand, assuming the LCD screen is successfully replaced, what else is likely to go wrong with the phone as it continues to age (other than the battery of course, which so far is holding a charge like it was new)?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I appreciate the input, but remember the "pile of cash" to repair is $70, not that much all things considered, and if the repair doesn't work I'm no worse off- I then need a new (with a new plan, limited data) or used (staying on my current unlimited data plan) replacement. Similar or less than the amount to buy a refurbished, albeit newer model. And I've treated my phone well, I don't think it's even been dropped in more than 2 years, I think people aren't getting that I'm basically happy with my DX, with the exception that it lacks the option to switch to GSM while overseas. The question is really, what can the new 4G phones do, or will be able to do soon, that my DX can't? And then I can consider whether those new capabilities have much potential value to me. On the other hand, assuming the LCD screen is successfully replaced, what else is likely to go wrong with the phone as it continues to age (other than the battery of course, which so far is holding a charge like it was new)?
by "pile of cash" I meant paying full retail price for a new device. Sorry for the confusion, forgot the comma.

Totally get you're happy with your X and want to keep it til you absolutely have to change devices. And if you're happy with it, don't let any of us try to sway your decision on that. However, if you really are curious about the newer phones don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
OP
Z

ZenNMotion

Reaction score
by "pile of cash" I meant paying full retail price for a new device. Sorry for the confusion, forgot the comma.

Totally get you're happy with your X and want to keep it til you absolutely have to change devices. And if you're happy with it, don't let any of us try to sway your decision on that. However, if you really are curious about the newer phones don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks all for the help! So yeah, what does 4G on the new phones get me? Not really into games, or movies on a lil' 4 inch screen, I prefer IMAX ;)... but what else could I be missing by being a luddite with a 2 year old phone?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks all for the help! So yeah, what does 4G on the new phones get me? Not really into games, or movies on a lil' 4 inch screen, I prefer IMAX ;)... but what else could I be missing by being a luddite with a 2 year old phone?
Blazing fast speed. Makes browsing a bit more enjoyable. To be honest I don't even remember what 3g speed feels like:D

To be honest if you're perfectly happy with your X, you're really not missing out on much. Head over to a store with demo units and if you are blown away by any of the phones THEN consider upgrading. If nothing really sways your decision to switch over, then you're not missing out on anything. Today's phones are just a bit bigger, slimmer, better screens, and faster overall.

I use a 6yr old all-in-one PC with a dualcore processor as my main PC. It still as quick as it was on day one and even though all of my friends have faster PCs, I feel for my use I'm not missing out on anything. My browser and internet speeds fly, just on older hardware.

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 4G HTC Thunderbolt for $70 in "like new" condition. My DX will be retired when it comes in the mail.