Opinion: Will overclocking make the CPU slower after back to normal?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by demon69120, Mar 17, 2010.

1. demon69120

demon69120 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There have been many people saying that if you overclock your Droid, to very high levels such as 1.2 GHz and above, that after a while the processor slows down.So if you ever want to run the CPU at stock, it will be slower than it was originally. Personally, I love overclocking and kind of take my Droid for granted as it will be replaced with something great maybe in two years. Overclocking has given me great experiences and made my phone as smooth as ever.When reverting back to regular, of course it feels slow, as it's like jumping into a pool of cold water. The processor is only 600 MHz, yet people have achieved 1.5 GHz (Jake's Kernel @ Alldroid.org) and 1.2 GHz by most people, which seems ridiculously unlikely, but Texus Instruments CPUs have revealed spectacular overclocking capabilities. On a desktop, taking an old Pententium 4 and setting it to run a 7 GHz sounds very unlikely, but that's about the aspect the OMAP is doing. Though the main problem in desktops is heat, overclockers are also introduced to instability before chance of damaging hardware. This brings my opinion to point, being the Droid can handle high overclocks without being effected by heat or instability, so why would the hardware get hurt?

What are your opinions? Will overclocking this high damage hardware making it so you need a higher clock to achieve performance before? I don't really think so, but my friends and family surely do. Reasoning please ;).

2. ChrisK15

ChrisK15 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, CPUs don't work like that. It just feels slow since you're used to operating it at such a high speed. As long as the clock speed is at a certain value, it will always perform that way at that speed no matter how old it is (unless of course it gets damaged somehow, then it might become very unstable/die).

3. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +204
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    Good post lol but for some reason I started thinking of it as an analogy like, the more drugs you do the more your body needs to "Be Happy :)" lol ..

Gotta be after noon somewhere :) (Wheres the green smiley holding a beer icon?)

4. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    there's no moving parts to wear down. the cpu runs at speed or not at all.

5. JasonLee

JasonLee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i fear the overclock, yet i do it. but i only go to 800mhrz top and have never set it higher

6. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1. It seems people who lack technological know how confuse things and spread a lot of misinformation. Your family, for example. But know worries, now you can hopefully inform them. Use car analogies, it seems to work in most cases.

7. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Also +1

We, as human beings, run off of perception.

The perception of running it back at stock will make it apparent as to how much quicker it was while OC'd. Hence "Something" must be wrong now that it is back at stock.

However, run a benchmark of some sort, it will be the same before you OC, and once back to stock that figure should still be the same (with varances for what's running at the time, etc.)

Demon,

First off, the Droid's CPU is underclocked to begin with.

When you go over its rated speed, then you are truly OC'ing it, and each chip/Droid will handle it differently, as soldered connections, the chip itself, the ROM and kernal being run, all factor in.

Any time you are OC'ing, you run a risk, how much you OC and monitor your Droid minimizes that risk, but it cannot be eliminated, that is the nature of HW.

I could say is is a safe bet and agree with you that you generally run into instability issues before anything heat related rears its head, but it is the heat itself that plays a role there as you go higher. The fact that you cannot add a cooler to the droid, at least, it isn't feasible on a mmobile, would solve some of that, but make for an ungainly looking unit eh?

8. Dmoralize

Dmoralize Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree a little with what you guys are saying. Overclocking can absolutely have a lasting affect on the phone's performance. Just because the speed increase won't cause "physical" wear and tear doesn't mean nothing is happening. High heat and temperature fluctuations take their toll on all of the components in there.

That said, i'm not worried about it. I happily overclock. It's not like i'm gonna keep the phone forever. I'll take the best performance now. I haven't experienced any real heat issues of my own.

9. demon69120

demon69120 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the opinions [:. My family is a little paranoid when it comes to electronics, but I think maybe they will realize the phones are benefiting in every way instead of loosing. I actually was able to strip the rubber off the battery door, plate that with copper, put silver foil between the battery and door, and use thermal tape to stick on 6 5mm height copper memory heat sinks on the section by camera (which is only so effective because the chipset is below the plastic). Helps with heat ;).

10. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    I overclocked for a while, but found once you get a decent software setup and stop trying to push all these fancy themes, its not needed.

So I run my own kernel set to 600mhz. Now before anyone says thats overclocking, no its not. The kernel specifically is set for 600mhz. I just removed the blocks Moto put in to enable it.

Search tags for this page
android sluggish after overclock

can overclocking damage android

do overclocking android can make it laggy
how to get normal after overclock
over clocking made phone slower
overclocking damaged gnex

phone slow after overclock

phone works slow when overclocked

super overclock cpu on andoid

what does overclocking do android