[OPINION POLL] Will Windows Handsets Rival Android Powered Smartphones by Next Year?

droid_mike

Reaction score
If Verizon embraced the new Nokia or the HTC Titans....I'd have it over the Nexus that I now have

That's the other problem. MS and Nokia have almost no relationship with cellular providers, and the history between Verizon and MS is bad. Verizon had lots of trouble with previous iterations of Windows Phones and they are not eager to push the new phones. At the local level, Verizon reps have been burned badly with old windows phones needing so much support, they aren't going to push anyone towards those phones at all! Verizon corporate has openly mocked the Windows Phone. who does Microsoft think is going to sell these things?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you guys tried out any of the WP7.5 mango phones out? They run smooth as hell on lower hardware than Android is using. I wouldn't dismiss them as a viable competitor. They also have a set of standards that every manufacturer must follow. They are getting there quick, although I agree they are not as modifiable/customizable as Android, but they may not need to be...that embrace simplicity.

sb1831

Reaction score
Not by 2013. Beyond 2013 is a different story. With Windows8 coming along, people will see the Metro interface and become accustomed to it. After a year or so of Window8 being on the market people will see the same interface that they're used to on their desktops and that may lead to a much larger market share for Windows Phone. Then again we're all going to die on December 21st so what do i know?

illmatic636

Reaction score
Have you guys tried out any of the WP7.5 mango phones out? They run smooth as hell on lower hardware than Android is using. I wouldn't dismiss them as a viable competitor. They also have a set of standards that every manufacturer must follow. They are getting there quick, although I agree they are not as modifiable/customizable as Android, but they may not need to be...that embrace simplicity.

If anything WinMo is more customizable than Android.

Reaction score
I think they most definitely can make a play on the market and be serious contenders. I live android but based on what I have seen from Windows 8, I will be looking forward to their tablet because I think it will be better than any android tablet. If their phones use the same os and the integration from pc to tablet to phone is seamless, they will garner a great deal of customers..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

drew

Reaction score
"They will be innovative handsets and promise to deliver a phenomenal user experience."

It seems to me there isn't any innovation to really speak of here. Metro doesn't offer anything "better", and things aren't any faster. Integration with SkyDrive and Windows Live? Most people I know don't talk about either service. Seems like Hotmail is where people go to set up spam catcher accounts, and SkyDrive .. well, no one ever TALKS about it. It's just there. Nothing WOW (even though it is 25GB for free) about it. There's no apps yet. There was confusion over whether there will be a Skype app on it. That speaks volumes as to the direction of the platform and the division inside Microsoft. They are failing at this.

They are so late to the game, with 700,000+ Android activations per day..that's eating up a huge chunk of the market. Where do they fit?

The only logical thing I can see is them driving the price down, selling it a "feature phone+" and catering to the budget crowd. Because of their licensing model for software and processors, they have historically priced themselves higher than they should, but they can't really compete with iOS or Android right now.

As an example, I saw a Nokia commerical the other day. I recognized the Metro interface, but right now couldn't tell you the name of the phone, and don't recall them touting the OS as anything special. With the other two, you hear both about the hardware and the OS.

Long story short, Microsoft and Nokia have to come up with a better marketing plan to make a bigger impact. If not, they are DOA - which is what I feel most people think anyway.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If anything WinMo is more customizable than Android.

I haven't had an extended amount of time to use a WP7 phone, but I was very impressed from what I saw. I will definitely keep an eye on them for the future. Once they get a 4g phone out, I think it will draw a lot of customers.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
When i think Windows phones i think budget phone because all my tech non savvy friends have them with no significant plan. Unless they have highly customizable feature full phones most of the market will stay away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

blacksoxing

Reaction score
IMO the phone you current have is all about customizing and choices. Switching kernels, Roms, themes yet you claim you don't care about choice.

WinMo in my opinion can make a good run with the other OS's. I'll never forget my first experience with Android OS was on a WinMo phone. HYTC Vogue. WinMo just needed to catch up to the user friendly environment in their OS

The O.G Droid literally couldn't take anymore...so I went w/the best Android based phone Verizon had since the HTC Trophy gotta be 2 years old by now...