Opinion about custom roms

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by simon_lefisch, Jun 28, 2011.

1. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

I rooted my gf droid and was wondering if anyone on here has any opinions about a good froyo rom. I've tried a couple of gb based roms (ie, pete alfonso gpa15, CM7) and she's had some problems with them (more prob with CM7) so I'm thinking of putting a froyo based rom instead. I was thinking Bugless Beast or Simply Stunning, possibly Saphire. If anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be appreciated, or if you have any other recommendations on other GB roms. I know every droid reacts differently, I just have a feeling that the droid 1 wasn't really meant to run GB, however that's why I'm asking you guys since everything I know about ROMing I've learned from reading and asking questions from the pros.

sent from my Liberated Gingercomb Juiced DROID2
  2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Well I dont know about being a pro by any means, more of a flashing addict if you ask me. Anyway, you are definitely right about the GB not being meant for the D1, the fact that it even runs on it is pretty sweet since we were never supposed to get it at all. When I was running my D1 I had good luck with it but I know many have issues.

I think currently the only froyo rom based off the most up to date official froyo version is droid concepts. I have never flashed it but have read quite a bit of good things about it. I would recommend checking out the threads in their section to see what its all about.

If that doesnt suit your fancy Project Elite 4.2 was always real good and Ultimate Droid 2.5 was a real solid rom. UD you may have to dig a bit to find but 4.2 is still stickied in their section. Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.95 was another good one but there is an update for it to 1.96 that I wasnt able to find when I was looking for it and it is necessary to have success.

Hope my long rant helps give you some options :)
  3. JSM9872

Had 2 additional little thoughts. Droid concepts is the only one currently being continually developed and last I remember the UD site is down because he has been out of action so the extras in the rom may not work because much of the stuff was linked to/downloaded from the site.
  4. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Sweet thanks for the options, its much appreciated. I'll take a look. Any thoughts about the ones I had listed? Or are those based off GB?

5. JSM9872

Bugless I personally was never a big fan of although I never tried his latest froyo build. Sapphire was a pretty solid froyo rom and SS always ran real well with lots of options.

Sorry in my initial response I completely forgot to comment on the ones you mentioned. Honestly I wold say give PE 4.2 a shot or SS 4.96 I believe was the last froyo build.
  6. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Great. Thanks for the info. I may try one more GB ROM and if my gf doesn't like it then I'll flash her back to a Froyo ROM. Thanks a bunch for your feedback :)

7. JSM9872

No problem. Just out of curiosity which ones have you tried?
  8. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

My personal favorite is Sourcery 2.2 Kang. It has the most recent Froyo built FRG83G 2.2.2 and its smooth and feature packed.
    It is supported although not being developed anymore, meaning there wont be any updates for it. But come to think about it very few Froyo roms if any are being developed.

Link to Sourcery in my sig...
  9. JSM9872

I didnt realize that Sourcery made it to 2.2.2. I might have to try it out.
  10. Chizzele

Yup, i actually one of the first 2.2.2 Custom Roms i believe other then p3droid's stock 2.2.2
  11. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

I tried pete alfonsos GPA15 build and CM7. My gf said CM7 was force closing all the time, it was slow, no text/email notifications, screen would freeze.....over all just a pain in her a$$. GPA15 just fc some apps. Ill look into the Sorcery ROMs. Can I find that in the Custom ROMs thread?

12. Chizzele

Follow the link in my signature to the most recent version, Sourcery is a combination of features and stability.

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1
  13. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Kinda like Fission for the Droid 2. Even though its not being developed, I loved using that ROM. I always kept coming back to that one. Super bummed there's no more development for it. I bet a GB Fission ROM would've been sick :)

Thanks much to both of you for your info. I've looked into your suggestions and will give them a try on my gf droid as soon as I see her. Your suggestions are very much appreciated. This is why I love coming to these forums, everyones experiences are different however the info that everyone shares allows us to find the best ROMs/themes/etc :D

14. JSM9872

Yeah I got hooked on the site for the same reasons, just a great community. At any rate let us know how you make out.
  15. moset

moset Member

RZ baseline 4 or 5 are both nice. Somehow data always seemed faster for me on Baseline.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  16. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

What about kernals? I got my gf running pete alfonsos GPA15 again and she said it seems to be working better now that I flashed one of his kernals of his site. However the phone does seem to run a little hot. I'm running an ultra-low voltage kernel. I've heard chevyno1 kernels are pretty good as they don't make the phone run too hot. Granted I know its about trial and error when it comes to kernels, but I was wondering if some were better.

17. JSM9872

It definitely is trial and error. I do agree that Chevys newest batch of kernels are quite nice and did me well on my D1 running GB. If her phone is running good with one of Petes kernels but getting hot then I would suggest trying another one of his. I do not know what he has out there but I am assuming he has an LV and an MV option. Give one of those a try because I know sometimes the ULV kernel causes the phone to work a little harder to ramp up and down to the required speeds thus making the phone run a little warm. My phone for one always loved LV but never did well with ULV kernels.
  18. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Never thought about it that way as far as lower voltage causing the cpu to run a little harder. Makes sense though. I'll flash a higher voltage kernel. Thanks for the input :)