Operation MOSH to push Moto to unlock bootloader?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jan 5, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

After a social media "attack" on HTC produced favorable results in getting them to unlock their bootloader, angry Android enthusiast who purchased ASUS's Transformer Prime decided to take matters into their own hands as well. The Army took to the social networks and staged an attack that got the corporations attention and subsequently got them to change their policy. An unlock is on the way.

Strangely enough Motorola fans have not adopted this strategy. Until now. Operation MOSH is now in effect. MOSH is an acronym for Make Ourselves Heard and it is being organized by XDA member TSON.

Motorola stated that an unlock of their devices would happen "during the second half of 2011." Going by our calendar it's now 2012 Q1 and still nothing has come from Motorola. They continue to ignore all bootloader related questions and have even blamed Verizon Wireless for the policy. Funny that Verizon didn't insist on the Rezound being locked down.

There are a lot of Moto fans on Droid Forums and you guys are very vocal. Now is your time to do something. To take part in Operation MOSH head on over to this thread, grab a "weapon" and head to the front lines.

If you want to get a jumpstart, sign the petition first and then make your rounds.

Tell us how you feel. Waste of time? Better to at least try and fail rather than do nothing? Sound off and tell us who's in.

Via: XDA
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

No harm and trying but HTC and Asus have been user friendly all along, who's to say they didn't intend to unlock the bootloader on the Prime eventually anyway and same for HTC. Maybe they wanted to make sure their products ran well enough before allowing the community to unlock them. Moto on the other hand has been anything but user friendly. I don't see this doing anything except upsetting the dev community further. But like I said, no harm in trying.
  3. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

They haven't changed their ways even after they tried to act like they would after the community exploded when one of their staff basically told rooters and modders that they were persona non grata. When he said that they should buy elsewhere, guess what I did?

The best solution I found was to just not buy their products.
    There. Problem solved. It has worked GREAT.

Have fun writing nasty-grams.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Exactly, when they start losing money because their products aren't selling, they will then start listening.
  5. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

I filled out an FCC complaint.

IMHO not buying there stuff is a waste of time. I doubt you could get enough people to not buy their products that it would actually impact their profits. This is Moto we are talking about. I cant see them actually caring if they lose 1-2% of profit. Just my .02

B
  6. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

It's not just about hurting their pocket, it's about being smart enough to not buy a product that doesn't do what you'd like it too. Sure, they may not lose enough money to change, but who cares? Why would you buy one of their products if it didn't have the features you wanted?

By choosing not to buy one of their encrypted bootloader phones you've freed yourself from dealing with them. Whether they change or not is irrelevant because you've solved your problem and moved on.
  7. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

I see where you are coming from with that.

The problem is that for people like me who enjoys specific features on their phones like a physical keyboard are limited with what we can get. So is we can only choose between 1 or 2 companies and neither one provides an unlocked bootloader complaining to the FCC and companies is our only option.

Also if the android community as a whole complains then phones well start shipping with unlocked bootloaders and consumers wont have to take that into consideration when choosing a phone. Honestly its beyond me why they have them in the first place, especially on Moto phones since they were the first ones to push an android device. By launching all there phones with unlocked BL they could have set the trend for their competition.

B
  8. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

I say it doesn't hurt to try. When Irwin Proud & some others started the #unlockmoto campaign, he did eventually talk to motorola. And that lead to the Atrix being unlocked, at least in Australia.
  9. cereal killer

One word......security. They want to expand deep into the business market where there will soon be a HUGE void if RIM keeps taking on water (which looks like that ship may sink)

They secure the business market they will have a long and prosperous run.
  10. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

I Thought we did this already like a year ago on DF.
  11. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

We did. Eventually, the petition site got hacked & you took down all the links to it in members sigs.
  12. cereal killer

:big smile:
  13. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

Hey I got a virus as a result of that hack and I was trying to protect the other members. But viruses are so 2011 lets see what happens this year.
  14. metalspring

metalspring New Member

i dont get what you're really saying with this? How does a locked bootloader help them in the business market?

Btw its kinda sad the RIM (blackberry) used to be THE smartphone and had essentially no competition but now they are struggling just to stay afloat
  15. dragonkingdroid

dragonkingdroid New Member

I think its mainly the carrier who is locking the bootloaders. the overseas Motorola Razr is unlocked but Verizon's is not. we should petition Verizon instead of motorola cause they already have phones unlocked. I did sign the petition though but just saying we should target Verizon. or att/sprint if they have locked bootloaders too.
  16. metalspring

metalspring New Member

galaxy nexus- verizon- unlocked, htc phones on verizon- unlocked, motorola on verizon, locked AND encryted
  17. cereal killer

corporations/business's do not have to worry or provide support to employees who have loaded unauthorized software on their equipment.

A locked device provides a "worry free" environment. I hear Moto is going to implement some incredible security measures on their handsets in the very near future (nothing to do with the bootloader).
  18. Tillmorn

Tillmorn Member

I'll be honest, at this point in the game unlocked bootloaders mean little to me. The processors, ram, gpu, etc used are pretty damn good now, and while they may be "outdated" rather quickly by things like the tegra 3, they won't become obsolete for a while. It's not like back when I had my Eris and it slowed down to an unbearable crawl before the help of rooting and switching out the kernel, overclocking, romming etc. Now I'm rather happy just with a custom romon my Bionic instead of dealing with Moto's blur.

And it's definitely more of a carrier thing as dragon points out. Verizon wants things locked down as much as possible. Part of it has to do with tethering and the idiots who dropped their ISPs and exploited that. And that also ties into having some control over what is and is not downloadable on the android market for us. But also, there's the fact that they have EoL's for their devices. Stop allowing devices to be updated and eventually people will want to upgrade. Take, for example, the Galaxy I not getting ICS. You think people won't start wanting to upgrade when they realize their devices are not getting that? Granted, I don't know if that's still true...haven't kept up on it since it doesn't directly effect anyone I know.

Anyway, just kind of spitballing towards the end there.
  19. metalspring

metalspring New Member

there is always the HTC way, make it unlockable via their own website and keep track of who unlocks their phone and put up a disclaimer about voiding your warranty
  20. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

How about taking software warranty out of the picture, and only having a physical damage/accident warranty. Bake the ability to backup/restore/sbf into android and set it up to be a user friendly, one button fix like sys restore in windows and disregard any software policies. I don't know much but an sbf fixes any soft problem I've come across. And just give people the option to unlock the bootloader, with a warning that software issues are not covered.

...Well I wish that would happen