Operating system upgrades

R

RETG

Coming from the BB world, where you need to drop back after an OS upgrade, would like to know is this possible on the Android Systems?

In other words, if they download 2.2 over 2.1, and there is a problem with 2.2, is it possible and easy to drop back to 2.1?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, you would root your phone and restore to an earlier version. For example, it was easy to root version 2.01. When 2.1 came out it didn't work, BUT you could go back to 2.1 and go from there.

cromo8

Reaction score
you can yes, you need to be rooted and install a rom using 2.1 BUT there will be nothing wrong with 2.2

OP
R

RETG

So, I would have to do this 'rooting' thing to go back? That sounds like a pain in the rear. As for nothing wrong with 2.2, no one knows that until it is released. My experiences are sometimes an update works ok on one model but not on all models and for a few weeks or a few months, the problem is there until an update is released to fix the problem.

One more question then. Do you have to update if they release an update, or can you linger with the old version until you believe they have fixed all problems?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to go back to an older OS to install 2.2. However after the install you will be rooted.

Two things you need to do. First go to the hacking section and read and understand what rooting is. The second is don't make any attempts to make mental comparisons to Blackberry. That will just confuse and frustrate you.

OP
R

RETG

Not just blackberry, any software update can cause more problems than it was designed to fix. Just look at the restore feature on Windows operating systems.

Is the update to an OS software forced via OTA or are you asked if you want to upgrade the software?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not just blackberry, any software update can cause more problems than it was designed to fix. Just look at the restore feature on Windows operating systems.

Is the update to an OS software forced via OTA or are you asked if you want to upgrade the software?

Both
when it comes, it comes OTA but it asks you to install

and you don't need to root to roll back you just flash a .sbf

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
but you can get 2.2 now by rooting, think that's what everybody meant, it's low risk high reward and you can always roll back

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My experiences are sometimes an update works ok on one model but not on all models and for a few weeks or a few months, the problem is there until an update is released to fix the problem.
Updates are model-specific. They were on the BB as well.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thought the OP was coming from the "BuglessBeast" world and was confused by this thread? :)

A re-read and the lightbulb went off for me.