Opera Mini 5... HOLY CRAP IT'S FAST!

Reaction score
I just downloaded Opera 5 and I can't believe how fast it is. Everything loads almost instantly. Even on sites that are pic heavy, they open super fast on 3G. I've just started it but so far I'm really impressed.

jbby

Reaction score
i agree that it does indeed load fast, but i also had issues with text rendering incorrectly on quite a few websites.

searayman

Reaction score
i just hate how it seems to load a different version of google then the stock broswer does. the stock one seems to load a more slick version. is there anyway to turn this on in opera?

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I hate how you can't tell it to always DL the full version of a website rather than the mobile version. Every other browser has a "Desktop" or "Computer" setting to trick a webserver into thinking a PC is accessing the site.

No **** it's fast, most browsers are if they stick you with the mobile versions of websites ;-)

It really is fast (even on non mobile versions of sites) but it needs a lot of work with rendering, zooming, bookmarking etc etc.

kbayer

Reaction score
yep... amazing!!!! is there a way to play youtube vids? would be the PERFECT browser... dayummmmm!

Riddick

Reaction score
I HATE how it renders certain websites. Also I only tested it briefly but I remember it not having multitouch? I pretty much refuse to use any browsers on my phone that don't have multitouch. Some people have tried to act like multi-touch is just a gimmick and not important but they're wrong, it really is an important feature.

kbayer

Reaction score
well, yeah... we could pick apart flaws in just about any browser, but the header of this thread is that Opera is FAST.

It is.

Can't dispute that!

hitek9

Reaction score
I try to use the stock browser if im on wifi or have a good 3g connection, but the bathroom at work seems to be made out of lead, so i always use opera when im there or have little signal.

OP
P
Reaction score
Mutli-touch isn't so important to me as long as I have some way of zooming in and out. I haven't noticed a problem with the google search on it but maybe that's just me. It seems ridiculously fast too. So far, none of the sites I've hit have rendered funny. When it brings up the mobile version of a page I just click the "full" version and it's there almost instantly. Maybe I'm just lucky with the sites I've hit so far, but even sites like Gizmodo that have lots of pics or even some of the boards I'm on that have galleries load really fast.

As for the bathroom comment, that starts a whole NEW discussion...:icon_eek:

Chilazr

Reaction score
As for the bathroom comment, that starts a whole NEW discussion...:icon_eek:

Totally, remind me never to borrow your phone. I'll need to try Opera, I'm kinda tired of how slow the stock browser is.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trying to compare Opera to other browsers is really an apples to Oldsmobiles comparison. While most browsers are willing to sacrifice some performance for the capacity to handle a wide range of web sites, the folks at Opera consciously made another choice: sacrifice coverage and rendering of some web sites in favor of performance.

It's a perfectly reasonable design decision for a most users most of the time. But Opera's "compacting" algorithms on their servers inevitably produce anomalies even with some popular web sites. And for websites that lack the resources to adapt to the demands of Opera, it's frequently a crapshoot in terms of rendering content.

Personally, I use Opera for a limited set of frequently accessed sites where I know it will work predictably and render content well. Its performance is a big advantage in those cases. But for more comprehensive internet browsing I use xScope both for its performance advantages over both Dolphin and the default browser and because, as a registered browser (unlike Opera), I can access it easily from other applications that require a browser.

B1-66er

Reaction score
I just got it too, and I can't seem to get it to properly load the mobile version of this site. its bothering me, haha.

darklipslide

Reaction score
I love how quickly the back button works. It almost "violently" whips back to the previous page. >:):icon_ banana:

showell81

Reaction score
Very very fast. I do like the on screen mouse pointer if you use hardware keyboard's directional pad, handy for very link-heavy sites or filling out forms. The back is awesome, instantly goes back.

I've had a few issues with zooming in and out and some text rendering, but it's a beta and it's my #2 browser easily now. I would like the ability to use the mouse pointer with touchscreen, I know the blackberry storm has something similar in their browser.