Opera, Chrome or Firefox?

R

RETG

And not for the Android, but for my PC. I have always used IE and never had any problems. In fact, found it better than Firefox for many sites. (And I need to keep a copy of IE not only for update functions like any windows device, but also for two programs that will only run on IE; and no way to get around that problem.

However in the past few weeks, IE8 has developed a problem with certain secured websites. When I go to those sites, it constantly flashes the website address and keeps trying to enter, but can't. Have tried everything from removing all add-ons to re-installing and still have the problem.

So, my question is what does everyone else use? I am experimenting with Firefox, Chrome and Opera, but have pretty much ruled out Firefox. Chrome and Opera seem to scream on my laptop. In fact, had to slow down my scroll wheel on the mouse, since what used to be a reasonable scroll on IE or Firefox is way too fast on Chrome or Opera. Hardly touching the scroll wheel on these two browsers sends the web page to the bottom or top almost instantly.

So, what does everyone else use, and why?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a Droid forum. All things android

This is off topic. I say Chrome, it's a pretty decent browser. You may also want to try Safari, it's the one I currently use with my Mac although I do use Chrome as well since I have Chrome to phone and Android to Cloud.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use Firefox.. It has the Chrome to Phone option and the ability to show a web page in "internet explorer" mode..... its the best of all three....

OP
R

RETG

Have to say, I am leaning toward Chrome unless IE9 turns out to be as good as the early reports say it will be.

Firefox seems to have a lot of bugs, I used it for a week or two. There is no doubt, Opera and Chrome are a lot faster to open a page than Firefox.

The few days I have used chrome, I have learned to love the speed and the simple look of it when compared to the other browsers.

Opera when I open up a website, for a split second displays the code for the page on the computer, then jumps to the page. Very strange in my opinion.

But, I'll continue to play around with the three of them.

TCMMFLIOTS

Reaction score
I love how ie isn't even an option.
All three are pretty good web browsers - if you're looking for speed then Opera and Chrome exceed in that. Personally, I prefer using Opera mainly due to it's features. Firefox I find to be buggy, Chrome just annoys me to no end, and Opera only bothers me once in a blue moon (it gives me an opening error which i could try and solve but i take the lazy way out by restarting my computer). It's also great if you use the dual mobile-computer thing.

I'd say go ahead and experiment with all three and see what you like. :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
(And I need to keep a copy of IE not only for update functions like any windows device, but also for two programs that will only run on IE; and no way to get around that problem.

No you don't, well not really. Yes it needs to be on your computer but no you don't need to ever 'use' it. There is an extension called 'IE Tab' that allows you to 'run' IE within Firefox. As for comparing the three it depends on your needs. I find Chrome to be the fastest but FF has the most extensions. I have a lot of work-related sites that have to be viewed in IE so I use FF most of the time (because of the IE Tab). If I'm just browsing for something 'quick' or playing around I'm split with Chrome and FF (though usually because FF is already open). I haven't used Opera in a while though because for a while it was just too bloated. Guess I need to try it again.

OP
R

RETG

I have one DVD that requires IE and it won't work on the FF IE tab. A friend of mine, a computer dude, tried to set it up for me and it would not work. Possibly due to the fact I'm running it on the Windows 7 Pro, Virtual PC in XP mode. He tried everything. It is a strange program on that DVD. So, I let IE remain on the computer.

Tried Safari and found it too complicated. That's what I like about Chrome and Opera (FF too). I was able to jump on any of those and in minutes get everything up and running. That darn Safari, I played with that for about an hour and was baffled with bookmarks, and a few other items, so I removed it. (Low tolerance for computer things. Understand cars and guns better.)dancedroid

Did find a strange problem with Chrome earlier. When in the WD website trying to view their owner's manual for the TV Hub, it reduced everything down and I could not get it back to normal size. Jumped to Opera, and it worked ok.

I'll just play with all three for a while until I make a decision. Maybe MS will release IE9 soon and I can play with that one too.:icon_eek:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Chrome all the way...And if it needs IE, Then I don't need it.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I vote for Firefox followed by chrome. I must admit that I have chrome but only used it once. I've been using firefox for so long that its just a habit. IE is total garbage in my eyes.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have one DVD that requires IE and it won't work on the FF IE tab. A friend of mine, a computer dude, tried to set it up for me and it would not work. Possibly due to the fact I'm running it on the Windows 7 Pro, Virtual PC in XP mode. He tried everything. It is a strange program on that DVD. So, I let IE remain on the computer.

Did find a strange problem with Chrome earlier. When in the WD website trying to view their owner's manual for the TV Hub, it reduced everything down and I could not get it back to normal size. Jumped to Opera, and it worked ok.

I'll just play with all three for a while until I make a decision. Maybe MS will release IE9 soon and I can play with that one too.:icon_eek:

Huh, I have some DVD's like that (they run a audio/visual presentation) but they run fine on FF with the IETab extension and I'm on Win7 (actually I have them ripped onto my HDD and run them via VirualDrive).

Which TV Hub do you have?? I have the LiveHub (1TB drive) and LOVE IT!!

I am the same way... sadly I work for a educational institution that doesn't know any better so ALL of our stuff is programmed for IE and they can't figure it out... the sites say they support FF-3.5 and Chrome 5 but they don't work (you can log in but can't navigate through the menus because content won't load correctly)...

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
Chrome. Because of the simplicity and speed (And because its google.. duh..).

But recently, every time i run it a lil triangle pops up near my clock and says an there is an error but if i click on it, it goes away.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. and even removed all traces of chrome from my computer also with no luck. I have both chrome and firefox. They are both very good.

IE is garbage.

OP
R

RETG

Huh, I have some DVD's like that (they run a audio/visual presentation) but they run fine on FF with the IETab extension and I'm on Win7 (actually I have them ripped onto my HDD and run them via VirualDrive).

Which TV Hub do you have?? I have the LiveHub (1TB drive) and LOVE IT!!

I am the same way... sadly I work for a educational institution that doesn't know any better so ALL of our stuff is programmed for IE and they can't figure it out... the sites say they support FF-3.5 and Chrome 5 but they don't work (you can log in but can't navigate through the menus because content won't load correctly)...

NO TV hub. I was researching the WD hub you recommend to me on another thread.dancedroid

No matter what has been tried, that darn program will only work on IE, but that is not a problem. It works. My problem was IE and going to some sites. Other than that problem, I have had great luck with IE and would actually prefer just to stay with it. But, it appears due to that problem I'm having with IE, I have to get another browser. (I work for the Federal Government and when in the office, they only use IE on their machines, thus the familiarity with having the same browser on all my machines.)

So far, I have run into a major problem (for me) with Chrome. There is no dedicates search bar, you use the web address as the search bar.
Many times, like today when researching TVs, I do a search, go to a website, spend twenty minutes there going through the pages, then I would normally hit the search bar again rather than back out of pages.
With chrome, you need to retype the search in again.

Also, the problem with the small type appeared again on chrome. And per Chrome the site is shown at 100%, the same as with the previous page. Going to Opera, it displays the same page ok.

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I was a big Firefox user until about a month ago and I started using Chrome. I have to say it has really become a major part of my internet experience

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've used IE, Chrome, and Firefox, and always come back to Firefox.

IE is terrible.

I didn't like Chrome due to lack of privacy, and the adblock extension. I don't want my browser saving any information, but to accomplish that in Chrome, I had to download an extension. The adblock addon for Firefox blocks ads BEFORE they load, as compared to Chrome which only blocks them AFTER they load. That was my deal breaker.