OpenVPN on the droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hanlong, Dec 22, 2009.

1. hanlong

hanlong New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got OpenVPN working correctly on the droid? I tried using tunneldroid, installed the OpenVPN binaries, but am missing the tun.ko driver.

I know if I drop in the tun drivers from a pre-existing cyanogen mod kernel for another phone it probably won't work because the kernel versions are different right? Anyone have any luck with this?

2. hanlong

hanlong New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. prochobo

prochobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. spkane

spkane New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OpenVPN for Moto Droid

Thank you both for this post. I have actually been looking for this info (sepcifically the Droid tun driver) since the day the Droid root was posted. Very useful. I'll be testing it all today.

Thanks,
    Sean

5. trevorj

trevorj New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OpenVPN is easy to get going on your droid. I made a script to do it, among other things. You'll need a custom kernel with CONFIG_TUN=Y/M. If M, you'll need the tun.ko in /system/lib/modules/. It works great with tunneldroid.

http://skywww.net/~trevorj/droid/scripts/readme.txt

This only runs on Linux. If you're on Windows, good luck.

Oh, and you can use the boot image from sholes.info, or you can use mine. It's all up to you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an equivalent to modules.conf (or modprobe.conf) for automatically loading kernel modules for android where we can make tun.ko autoload?

I can load it manually now and everything works (thanks guys :D)

7. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are any of you having problems getting ifconfig to work from within OpenVPN? I've got it working, but I have to manually create the tun/tap device and then manually configure it with ifconfig before running OpenVPN, otherwise the tun/tap device ends up with an IP address that has the correct subnet address, but 255s for the rest of it. I also found that I have to manually load the tun driver each time the phone is rebooted.

mudtoe

8. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am using tunneldroid, it points to the path for tun.ko. It seems to work fine, everything happens via the GUI.

9. prochobo

prochobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Use a program called "Autostart" in the market place and edit its configuration file to include the "insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko" command.

10. Nox

Nox New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did indeed have problems running ifconfig. According to what I've read, the issue revolves around whether or not you have a tun or tap vpn. I haven't tried tun so I'm not sure if I would have had the same problem with it but, just so it's clear, I am using tap.

I got ifconfig to work with a simple script and some config changes to OpenVPN's configuration. It's important to note that there are a couple of things I could not do with Android's implementation of sh, namely:

• Shebang. #!/system/bin/sh would not work, I had to leave it out.
    • Named variables. DEVICE=$1 followed by using $DEVICE elsewhere would not work. The device variable would be blank and would end up doing very weird things to the string I tried to use it on.
    • Android does not have a "test" binary, so you can't really create any complex scripts.
    I would love to have some more information as to how sh works on Android but I did manage to get this to work with the following:

vpn-up.sh: Place this in /system/xbin (I created this directory as part of one of the suggestions on another thread).
    Code:
    /system/bin/ifconfig $1 $4 netmask $5
    OpenVPN Config Options:
    Code:
    script-security 2
    up "/system/bin/sh /system/xbin/vpn-up.sh"

I specifically did not use ifconfig-noexec as I wasn't sure how to setup the MTUs on Android's version and what not so I wanted OpenVPN to at least try and execute ifconfig on it's own, and let me overwrite the values later. "script-security 2" is required to allow OpenVPN to execute shell scripts and pass variables to them. Again, sicne I could not use a shebang, I cannot simply specify "/system/xbin/vpn-up.sh", which is why I have to run "/system/bin/sh" with the script as the argument. The command must be enclosed in quotes.

After doing this I was able to correctly start up my vpn from the GUI and get the correct IP address.

Also, you may already know this, but newer versions of TunnelDroid will insmod tun.ko for you if you specify where you put the module.

11. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but what is OpenVPN? Is it like a tether program?

12. webacoustics

webacoustics Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The wifi tether kernel has tun support built in. No need for tun.ko.

13. Nox

Nox New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As it turns out, my problems with the scripts were actually related to my text editor (Text Edit from the Market) saving the script with DOS line endings rather than Unix line endings. This caused an extra line feed character on each line confusing sh, which is why my one line script worked. I ended up installing busybox which allowed me to utilize all of my favorite GNU tools. I highly recommend installing busybox for anyone that plans to do any sort of Droid hacking. I'm sure it comes with most ROMs but I'm not ready to mess with those yet.

Busybox for android

http://openvpn.net/

VPN = Virtual Private Network

14. iamgeniusrnti

iamgeniusrnti Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tun or Tap

I can't get the damn to work. I am using OpenVPN settings as I could not find TunnelDroid on the market. But it does install the TUN driver.

Mine negotiates and connects to the server but won't do anything beyond that. I can't access anything on my network. See here for details: OpenVPN Support Forum • View topic - Help??

I am using it as a TAP, is this wrong?

15. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree lolz

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page
android tun interface
config tun=y
has anybody got tap openvpn to work on android
openvpn android tun.ko problem