Opening Email attachments

hydro556

Reaction score
It seems that I cannot open most emailed attachments and I am wondering if there is something I need to download or a setting I need to adjust.

I just received an email from work with a pdf attachment. When I attempt to download it reads "Fetching attachment" then reads "This attachment cannot be displayed" or something to that effect.

What do I need to do to correct this?

Also, I am wanting to be able to print via my wireless network like I can from my laptop. When I first got the Droid I managed to get it working on the network by simply resetting my router, but since I have not been able to get it to work on WiFi.

Any help?

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I will check out "Docs to Go". Is this the consensus best, option?

Or are there others to consider? I dont do lots of file transfers, etc. I am just wanting to be able to open pdf's, etc. in my email.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will check out "Docs to Go". Is this the consensus best, option?

Or are there others to consider? I dont do lots of file transfers, etc. I am just wanting to be able to open pdf's, etc. in my email.

Well, I've downloaded an app called Crutch lite and I believe it's suppose to be able to open any type of document, pdf or otherwise and it's free.

The reason I say I believe is I've yet to have a .pdf file to open....but I'm ready for one when it comes. You may want to check this one out.

mjs31

Reaction score
Things like quick office, pdf viewers (in the market) etc can help with this. Docs to go is a very nice alternative to all of this. Most of the issues with opening attachments is just having the right application. Same as trying to open a pdf file on you computer if you havent downloaded adobe acrobat.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Docs ToGo works good.

Does anyone else feel it's pretty pathetic/stupid to have to d/l something to open attachments on a device sold as a 'smartphone?' We're just lucky there are some decent FREE apps. But if that changes (i.e. Docs togo start charging) I will be highly pissed.... and what type of Smartphone doesn't allow you to SEND attachments (yes, I know you can attach them via other apps... but NOT from within the gmail client)... pretty stupid on Googles part, IMHO. Hopefully this will change in 2.1, I personally consider it one of the phones biggest shortfalls.

styx

Reaction score
Docs ToGo works good.

doesn't allow you to SEND attachments (yes, I know you can attach them via other apps... but NOT from within the gmail client)....
Yes, you can! Just click on the menu button and "attach" is right there.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Docs ToGo works good.

doesn't allow you to SEND attachments (yes, I know you can attach them via other apps... but NOT from within the gmail client)....

Pictures yes, not documents, which account for 99% of attachments I send... has to be done from within Docs Togo... again, these are things that should be handled by the OS (or included apps). We should not be forced to shell out $$ for basic features like being able to edit and save an attachment you receive, only available in the Full($) version of Docs Togo.

Sadly as the time of my 30 days nears I may have to abandon the Droid for yet another WM device (which I HATE). But there are just to many basic featuring lacking from this 'smartphone' to be used for business... Hopefully 2.1 will be released before my time ends and address these issues.

eregalado

Reaction score
I have downloaded Astro, Docs to Go and K-9 Email to help with opening attachments. All of which seemed to do the trick in the beginning, then suddenly I am back to not being able to open attachments anymore. However, this morning I woke up and was so excited because I was able to open any file...but to be let down within 15 min...now it's back to being unable to open attachments.

I get java.io.file not found...or file can not be displayed?!

I am so frustrated!! Anyone have an idea of how to make opening of attachments consistent?? Guess I will try Crutch Lite?

I love my phone, but this has got to be the most unbelievable downside to a "smartphone"!! I really do need to open attachments for my job. Ugh.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Docs ToGo works good.

Pictures yes, not documents, which account for 99% of attachments I send... has to be done from within Docs Togo... again, these are things that should be handled by the OS (or included apps). We should not be forced to shell out $$ for basic features like being able to edit and save an attachment you receive, only available in the Full($) version of Docs Togo.

Sadly as the time of my 30 days nears I may have to abandon the Droid for yet another WM device (which I HATE). But there are just to many basic featuring lacking from this 'smartphone' to be used for business... Hopefully 2.1 will be released before my time ends and address these issues.

If $20 is too much for you to spend to have full document management functionality for Microsoft Office then I have nothing to suggest.

CDB

Reaction score
Checking the market place, it looks like Download Crutch (Lite) isn't there now.

How the ability to save e-mail attachments was excluded from the Droid by default, is beyond me. It really is kinda sad that this functionality needs a 3rd party app.

M

Matth3w

I have Docs 2 Go (full paid version) and still some PDF files do not open from emails. This is a big problem for me. It doesn't appear to be the program but rather the handling of attachments if my searching on Google is yielding the results I think it is.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:bump:eek:k i downloaded doc 2 go full version. How do you view the document because i keep getting a msg that the file can not be viewed.

M

Matth3w

:bump:eek:k i downloaded doc 2 go full version. How do you view the document because i keep getting a msg that the file can not be viewed.
You can't.. some will open and some won't if you're talking about PDF files. It's something in the way they are attached, not the way they are opened.

Does your attachment have << >> around it?

stdesign

Reaction score
Just tried it... The free version of Documents To Go will view Adobe .pdf files (edit: or some of them, as has been pointed out above). I've got the same problem with sending attachments though... Just gotta cough up $15 for the full DTG app. It seems you can't submit a resume anywhere without it being a .doc Office file :soapbox: . Really, an Android version of OpenOffice would solve most of these problems (come on Sun... Give up the stuff!).