Oops

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
So, this is a bit embarrassing, for a few reasons. But I figured I'd post it here to make you all feel better about yourselves. After spending about 10 hours this week customizing my droid (inclusive of a few hours on photoshop), I nearly had a disaster (maybe I did, its still too late to tell). Here is the sequence of unfortunate events that led to this:

My internet connection has been on and off all day, so I hooked up my media center pc to my droid using pdanet to do some miscellaneous work. Since the PC has limited area around it, I had to place the phone precariously on the edge of a table. Having the foresight I do, I saw that directly under the placement of the droid, on the floor, was my cats water bowl. Not being an idiot, I decided to move the bowl about 1-2 feet out of range. I unplug the droid from the PC and I go to move the computer and the droid falls and lands right where the water bowl would have been!

So everything is good right?
Nope.

The droid does bounce. On the initial impact, the battery door flew off. The second impact landed right in the water bowl. I immediately took it out of the bowl, ripped the battery out, and put it in a towel I was using. This all happened very fast, and to be as accurate as possible, it was all of 2 seconds from the time it hit the water to the time it was in the towel.

I stripped the sd card out and after thoroughly toweling off the phone I put it on a little heater I've used to dry other phones. It blows warm air (about 80-85F), and works perfectly for drying phones. I noticed that the phone "wet strip" didn't go pink, but the battery did. After about 2 hours I decided to give her juice (I should have waited longer). Things started up kind of slow, but it eventually got working. Its now working to how it was before the incident... nearly.

The power button seems to be sticking... which could change with time, but it isn't a problem as of now.

The other issue is that my SD card **** the bed... of all things to happen in this scenario, its the SD card that breaks. I'll take that over the phone any day.

Anyway, I currently have the phone sitting in a bag of rice since I just threw out some chemical grade dessicant yesterday. I'm kind of on opposite ends of the hygroscopic spectrum on this one.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

c0Ld

Reaction score
As far as the power button 'sticking' goes, mine's done that ever since I (intentionally) dropped it only about 6 inches on to my desk. It never got worse and still works just fine after several weeks, so I don't really care a whole lot. You might have come out lucky if you're in a similar case :)

OP
EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
Still can't get the phone to recognize the SD card, and I think it may be a issue with the phone.

1) Can't mount via nandroid
2) Stuck at "check for errors"
3) When I use another card, a much older card, it says "not properly formatted" - I try to format and it doesn't.

So the phone knows there is an sd card there, but its just not able to do anything. Not sure whats going on.

OP
EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
Got it working:

Had to buy an SD card adapter. Copied my entire contents to my PC and Windows7 detected a currupt file (local-albumcache). I deleted the file from the SD card and everything works as before.

No real issues.

LordKastle

Reaction score
the power of will did you well. you were successful - understand and learn from the experience.