OOOkkk, so my Bionic is physically broken

bjjud

Reaction score
Ear piece jack is busted inside, not a nightmare, but now I can't plug it into the car stereo, (where I spend 5 hours+ a day) It's under warranty, obviously, but my concern is:

A. It's rooted, and how much would they care about that, considering the problem? (I'll get rid of the obvious things, like the shortcut to 'wifi-hotspot', heh)
B: Will the new phone be rootable?

I'm still non 5.5.886, (did Pete's 1 click a few months ago, did wifi-thing, did Webtop...have never put on a Rom, phone pretty much does everything that I want it to do, and I don't want to tempt fate. I can't get OTA updates (it says I don't have a Motorola service agreement, and it can't seem to figure out how to GET one). I'm sure the current release is higher than that, and I'm also sure the newest version will be on my new phone--is the current release on new phones still rootable? The ear-piece thing is annoying, but I'd rather buy a BlueTooth stereo than lose the root-features of my phone. Suggestions appreciated!

welsalex

Reaction score
My jack is showing signs of failure. Sometimes when i turn the headphones input it disconnects like it lost contact for a moment. Ugh

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
My jack is finicky too. As far as your problem goes, if you want to return it to VZW, there are varying opinions in this forum on doing so. Some believe that if you root your phone, you have voided your warranty. However, if it is a HW problem, some say it is ok to unroot your phone and take it in. I won't tell you either way which is moral, but you should at least look at bringing the phone back to stock if that's something you'll consider. Check out threads all over this forum for it, I don't have any links at this point.

FourFive

Reaction score
It's almost irrelevant if it's rooted, basically any kind of physical damage voids the warranty anyway(Can you tell its physically broken??). As for if you have insurance on it is a different story, if you do then just say you lost your old phone, no questions asked, if you say it was stolen they need a police report. If you don't have insurance or some kind of accidental warranty on it, your next choices probably aren't great.

Last edited:
OP
B

bjjud

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about whether they think that the ear jack is covered, most difficult to show that abuse was the cause (I don't think even Verizon would go that far) my bigger concern is whether I'll be able to root the new phone they give me

greeneink

Reaction score
Warranties are for exactly your problem. Mfg defects. Call Big Red and tell them it's broke and don't worry about the root. They won't check it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

greeneink

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about whether they think that the ear jack is covered, most difficult to show that abuse was the cause (I don't think even Verizon would go that far) my bigger concern is whether I'll be able to root the new phone they give me

Just run 4ever root and restore it back to. 886 if you have to. Then update again. Pretty sure you can root. 893 though. Then install the .901. My phone hasn't dropped data once or even seen a 3G signal since I upgraded.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
You can root virtually any of the released updates (official or otherwise). Use a little google, bro! I'm rooted on 5.9.901 right now, but I've been rooted on 5.5.886, 5.5.893, and 5.7.893.

OP
B

bjjud

Reaction score
Update---the girl at the counter took it into the back room (apparently dialed #2539, stayed on the call for 40 seconds or so) came back, announced that yes, the earpiece jack is indeed broken, and we will mail a new Bionic to your house" (out of stock, which is a good thing, or bad thing, depending on your point of view) I was initially bummed, but then realized I would have an extended period of time to experiment with the new AND the old phone. (got mine in September) If, for any reason, I can't make the wifi tether work, I'll just switch back over to the old one.

azdrifter

Reaction score
You can root virtually any of the released updates (official or otherwise). Use a little google, bro! I'm rooted on 5.9.901 right now, but I've been rooted on 5.5.886, 5.5.893, and 5.7.893.

Did you have to go down to .886 to get rooted ?
Or are you rooted through the .901?

pkjeeps

Reaction score
Look ip blackberry gateway bluetooth...it plugs into ur stereo and let's u play bluetooth for much less than the cost of stereo..and u can bring it inside and plug into home stereo if u want..it's around 50 bucks. I love it..had it cause my jack in my of DROID never worked.

OP
B

bjjud

Reaction score
Yah, I have a similar thing, made by Jabra (the 'Clipp') It clips onto my collar, and I plug ear buds into it--it's what I'm using now to interface with the stereo, but as with all bluetooth earbud-type devices, it has fairly low volume, even with everything maxed. The stereo seems to be looking for a louder input signal. It's ok, just can't override wind-noise, etc if windows are down