Only USA Band available on Droid 2 Global

silver6054

Reaction score
The phone is already unlocked from a Verizon unlock code and I am using an SIM card from the Orange network. It is working, but can only see 2G. It can't see 3G networks.
Is this the same thing that you are talking about?

Snow0w is talking about unlocking the bands so you can use say at&t in the US. Not your situation

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Thanks Silver! I think that my problem is the BaseBand. But I don't know the solution.

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Unrelated question: How do I get rid of the stupid dancing banana in my signiture? (AKA - How to edit signiture)

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Never Mind. Stupid Question. Just running out of patience tonight and that stupid dancing banana was starting to piss me off.

MaGiStR

Reaction score
Regarding the 3G issue, you probably clicked on Set GSM/UMTS band. That disabled the European frequency. To fix it you will need to install SBF file to bring the phone back to original.

Thanks

I have a D2G that I am using in France (I'm from the US), I have a foreign SIM that is working (SIM is unlocked via Verizon), but I can't get 3G no matter what I try.
I think that my problem is my Baseband ( N_01.48.05R) . When going in to test mode--> Select Radio Mode --> Set GSM/UMTS band, the only option is "USA Band". There are no other options!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading/trying for at least 10 days now. Thanks in advance!

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Regarding the 3G issue, you probably clicked on Set GSM/UMTS band. That disabled the European frequency. To fix it you will need to install SBF file to bring the phone back to original.

Thanks

I have a D2G that I am using in France (I'm from the US), I have a foreign SIM that is working (SIM is unlocked via Verizon), but I can't get 3G no matter what I try.
I think that my problem is my Baseband ( N_01.48.05R) . When going in to test mode--> Select Radio Mode --> Set GSM/UMTS band, the only option is "USA Band". There are no other options!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading/trying for at least 10 days now. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Magistr, You are correct that I accidently clicked on USA Band, I had meant to scroll to see if there were other bands available and it registered as a click. I tried to do a Factory Reset, but that didn't work.
Looks like I have some studying to do since I'm not familiar with flashing SBF files yet.

petarn

Reaction score
Same issues

I have the same issue as the OP. Did you manage to solve the issue with the baseband? When using t mobile Macedonia sim card I managed to get data for about 20 seconds and than I lost it. Tried sims from two other providers and it doesnt work. I installed a custom rom and it doesn't work again. Has anyone been able to solve this?

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
I have the same issue as the OP. Did you manage to solve the issue with the baseband? When using t mobile Macedonia sim card I managed to get data for about 20 seconds and than I lost it. Tried sims from two other providers and it doesnt work. I installed a custom rom and it doesn't work again. Has anyone been able to solve this?

After working on the problem for a LONG time, it appears that the problem that I had was with the chipset in the phone itself. For some reason, some of the networks in Europe are not compatible with the chipset. The reason was unknown at the time when I was working on it.

Many people complained to Motorola about the problem and have made forums concerning this problem. If you go to the Motorola website and do a search in the Support Forums, you could get an update on the situation. The last thing that I knew, motorola was ignoring our complaints and basically said that they aren't developing the Droid 2 Global anymore and that there wouldn't be anything done to try and resolve the problem! That is when I gave up.

Good Luck,
Todd

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score

Just to be a little clearer, I never did get to try a new baseband. At the time, I had problems trying to obtain a good one.

If you get this to work, please let me know. Maybe I'll give it another try.

petarn

Reaction score
I will definitely let you know. The thing that confuses me is the fact that I got it working for about 20 seconds....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

petarn

Reaction score
Just to be a little clearer, I never did get to try a new baseband. At the time, I had problems trying to obtain a good one.

If you get this to work, please let me know. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Try this:

Open this file: /system/etc/ppp/peers/pppd-ril.options

Change this:
user [email protected]
password NotUsed

To this:
user (input the APN for your provider)
password (Input the password for your provider)

Save the file and reboot the phone. Make sure the other APN settings are correct.

I managed to get connected to the data stream ( #*#*4363*#*#) but i still cant browse the web.

Are u having better luck?

ygreenes

Reaction score
Many people complained to Motorola about the problem and have made forums concerning this problem. If you go to the Motorola website and do a search in the Support Forums, you could get an update on the situation. The last thing that I knew, motorola was ignoring our complaints and basically said that they aren't developing the Droid 2 Global anymore and that there wouldn't be anything done to try and resolve the problem! That is when I gave up.

Good Luck,
Todd
Off topic question: I thought this phone is HTC what does Motorola have to do with it?

tappety talk

ygreenes

Reaction score
Just checking that you are running stock, right, not Fission as you have that in your sig?

If you are going in to the store, then yes, unfreeze and unroot. You are allowed to download non-market apps anyway, but if they are apps that clearly need root (in the name) uninstall them for now.

However, I don't really hold out high hopes that you will get good info. Now that you are back, the problem cannot be reproduced, and anyway, you were using Orange, so I'm pretty sure you will be told that next time you should contact them!

Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

What others have done in a similar situation (while abroad) is to try a SIM from another provider. (Borrow from a friend, buy the cheapest). And sometimes that seems to work, because of some incompatibility between one providers SIMs and the phone.

Can you tell me how to unroot?

tappety talk

ygreenes

Reaction score
Whoops I thought this was about the Droid incredible 2 :eek:

tappety talk