Only 2GB left on /system....how to free space?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rotordroid, Apr 5, 2010.

1. rotordroid

rotordroid New Member

I'm down to just 2MB left of free space on the /system partition. Still 120MB free on /data. I don't want to just start deleting things on /system so I'm wondering if there is a cache or something that builds up that I can clear.

Thx
  2. gavron

gavron New Member

The topic says 2GB (2 GIGA-bytes). The text says 2MG (2 MEGA-bytes). If it's 2MB you're screwed.

You don't indicate what ROM you're running. Some of them when you install allow you to install extra stuff. You can reinstall the ROM and NOT select those things.

Mine's tight. When I needed update google-earth it would not succeed in the update (insufficient space). I had to remove the current GE, and install from market from scratch GE. Small sacrifices to have all the toys :)

E
  3. bb-gun

bb-gun New Member

Actually the text says MB. lol:)
  4. rotordroid

rotordroid New Member

Should be 2MEGA-bytes and it's on /system not /data so uninstalling market apps won't fix it
  5. gavron

gavron New Member

Ouch. 2MB is near zero.

Which ROM are you using?

Can you reinstall and not select as many apps?

Otherwise... no /CACHE is not in /SYSTEM...

E
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Well, the first thing I would check is to see that your busybox is symbolically linked and installed properly. I am very weak on symbolic links, but I do know that if your busybox files are properly linked, they (the commands) will all show an exact file size. For example my linked commands are in xbin, and all show a file size of 571741 bytes. If your busybox install is amiss, likley much space will be erroneously used.

I would also check with the op of the rom you are running, and see if the maker has installed any additional "goodies" that may be extraneous for you. Like extra linux/shell commands or stuff. /system/bin and xbin will hold these files, and while some of them may be needed by certain applications, there may be some candidates for removal. For example, my zip command is over 800K in size. While I am not sure whether I have any apps that need zipping capability, I am positive that I have not openly used it. Perhaps it is needed to view attached zip files, but wanted to show it as an example of a way to possibly find some room.

I would never completely delete a file from my possession, but it would be easy to move to a location on the sd to test.

Craig
  7. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

/system does contain apps also in the "app" sub-directory, you could try using Apps2SD if you wanted but I think only certain roms (like cyanogenmod) support it. Otherwise start uninstalling apps.
Search tags for this page
120mb out of 2gb how much room is left
android how to make space /system
clear system cache on razr maxx
free space 2gb android
how do i free up space on my droid
how to clear up space on droid razr

how to free space droid x2

how to free space on android system

how to free up space droid dna?
how to free up space in droids
i have 2mb of space left. how?