Online PDF won't open

YellowTwo

Reaction score
I'm trying to open a pdf for school via the school website (gauchospace.ucsb.edu) and when I click to open it, rather than opening the pdf in a popup window as it would on a computer, it opens a blank window with an X in the top right corner. I can scroll around but its just a blank window. I tried dolphin browser too and it just kinda locked up, didn't even open a window.

For example: https://gauchospace.ucsb.edu/courses/mod/resource/view.php?id=86660

You need login info to see but that's the kind of link. If I open a *.pdf link from google or something it will download and view it.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You probably need a pdf viewing application from the Market...there are a few in there

OP
Y

YellowTwo

Reaction score
I tried that too but it doesn't give me the option to open it with that and there's no way to get a direct link to a .pdf to just download it..

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm...that's weird cause any time I've ever clicked on a pdf document it would always pop up the choices with what to view it with.....and the pdf app would always be one of the choices....

I'm not sure why it's not letting you then, maybe it's something to do with that particular document?? Try finding a different pdf to just see if that lets you use the pdf app...and if it does let you, then it has to be that particular document

OP
Y

YellowTwo

Reaction score
Yea it lets me open links that point straight to a pdf. That's what I'm trying to figure out is how to open these that don't.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man I really don't know what to tell you then.....cause I just thought that it should open any pdf document....but I guess I was wrong

OP
Y

YellowTwo

Reaction score
Found a solution today: The Opera browser allows me to save it.

Very happy with this browser by the way. Its speed is amazing.

telecom

Reaction score
I am having this same issue on an HTC Incredible. Downloading Oprah Mini 5 did not fix it for me. I have tried 3 different browsers, and 2 different PDF readers. Just like the original problem description PDFs from most websites will download to the phone and open correctly. It seems to be an issue with pages where the PDF would normally open inside a webpage vs prompt you to download it. Please help!