OnePlus One Burns Owner as it Explodes in His Back Pocket

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oneplus-exploded.png

Typically when we purchase a smartphone, our main concerns about the device are quite benign... does it have all the hardware and software I want, will it hold up if I drop it, will it last long? You don't often hear anyone worrying about whether the device will become a bomb in their pocket...

oneplus-exploded2.png

Unfortunately, that's precisely what happened to a recent OnePlus One user. According to the report, an owner of the OnePlus One had his leg burned when his phone literally exploded in his pocket. Here's a quote with the details,

OnePlus forum poster “MiYzu” recently shared a story and a series of photographs that could be cause for concern for prospective OnePlus One owners. According to his post, the man’s phone randomly exploded in his back pocket, spewing out so much heat that it actually burned the back of his leg.

This case is particularly concerning because the battery was under very little stress at the time, since the phone was not plugged in.

This is especially worrisome for the company OnePlus, as their launch of this device has been fraught with problems from the get go. Here's a quote of the company's response in an email regarding this exploding phone,

We are very sorry to see one of our users had to experience this with their device as the safety of our customers is our first and foremost concern. We have already contacted MiYzu to learn more about his condition, as well as dispatched OnePlus staff to physically retrieve back the phone. This way, we can determine the circumstances surrounding this so that we may work to prevent this happening in the future.

Our products undergo extremely rigorous testing, and this is the first time anything like this has happened. We take this issue very seriously. We will send MiyZu a new phone and also reimburse him for the damage to his jeans and phone case, as well as any medical costs associated with this accident.

While this is an admirable response, we can't help but wonder if it will be enough to keep the already sketchy reputation of OnePlus from faltering further.

For any users who wish to discuss the OnePlus One smartphone, we have a sub-forum you can check out here: http://www.droidforums.net/forums/oneplus-smartphones.710/

Source: AndroidPolice

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Ouchtown population you bro. Free phone though, so that is good, wonder if there is more to the story.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
"You don't often hear anyone worrying about whether the device will become a bomb in their pocket..."

Well, if you don't buy Samsung phones, then yeah I guess not having to be worried about bursting spontaneously is a normal thought.

Lol

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I wonder if he had a pair of tight pants on? Toss a 5.5" phone in your back pocket and plop down in a hard chair. Gotta be some flex involved. Also that back cover isn't OEM.

Lots of variables here.

Reactions: CJM

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's happened to a number of iPhones over the years as well as a few Galaxy S models. I don't think it has anything to do with the overall manufacturing of said device, but simply a faulty battery, which obviously happens from time to time regardless of what device you own. I thought their response was more than sufficient.

tap'n on my S5