one stop for tweaks and other useful cool stuff

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by metalspring, Oct 26, 2011.

1. metalspring

metalspring New Member

[Mod] one stop for tweaks and other useful cool stuff

ok, from my android tweaking and playing around with all kinds of settings and other things i know it can be somewhat hard to find everything you might need to make the most of your android device so i will put links to them here along with providing support and my own little discoveries here...if anyone knows anything else that is cool or useful just post it and i'll update this post

first off how about my personal collection of droid 1 kernels and roms (with most of the build.prop tweaks listed here included) currently only raidzero recovery and an md5 sum calculator for windows but will upload roms later
    my files

simple rooting/returning to stock guide-

quick root guide
    1)download these files
    http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/Experiences/Global_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.0.40_Driver_4.9.0.exe
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/rsdlite_5.0.msi
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/VZW_A855_QSC6085BP_RZRECOVERY_UPDATE.sbf
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/update.zip
    2)install the first 2 links in order
    3)connect your phone via usb to your computer and copy the update.zip you downloaded to your sdcard
    4)reboot your phone and hold power + vloume up + the camera button until you see the screen that says bootloader battery ok
    5)open rsd lite and see if it recognizes your phone (basically any entry in the model column) and slide your phone keyboard open
    6) click the ... near the start button and navigate and select the VZW_A855_QSC6085BP_RZRECOVERY_UPDATE.sbf file
    7)click start and WATCH FOR
    "Phone[0000]: Phone is being rebooted" On your phone the screen will change to "SW Update Complete" and your phone will reboot within a second or two. You want to be already holding the x button on your keyboard to boot into recovery mode when the phone actually reboots so the stock OS doesnt erase the new recovery you just flashed
    8) using the volume keys to move through the menu, the camera button to select and the power button to go back, go to install and select the update.zip you put on your sdcard earlier and select install update.zip
    9) then select "reboot into android" and enjoy the benefits of being rooted

return to stock
    1)download these files
    http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/Experiences/Global_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.0.40_Driver_4.9.0.exe
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/rsdlite_5.0.msi
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/VZW_A855_FRG22D_QSC6085BP_C_01.43.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf
    2)install the first 2 files
    3)reboot your phone and hold power + vloume up + the camera button until you see the screen that says bootloader battery ok
    4)connect your phone via usb to your computer and reboot your phone and hold power + vloume up + the camera button until you see the screen that says bootloader battery ok
    5)open rsd lite and see if it recognizes your phone (basically any entry in the model column)
    here are are some useful build.prop tweaks I've encountered along the way, just put the line into the build.prop or modify it if its already in there, save, wipe dalvik cache and reboot
    6) click the ... near the start button and navigate and select the VZW_A855_FRG22D_QSC6085BP_C_01.43.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf you downloaded earlier
    7)click start and let it run and reboot automatically (it should work even if rsd lite says the result was fail)
    8) you are now on stock unrooted froyo
    FRG22D

(optional) 9) go to settings > about phone> check for updates and allow system updates to download and install (allows for a super clean setup if you are planning to re-root)

for possibly better scrolling speed, can be set to any number from 35-300:
    # This defines the max event window manager can
    # handle in 1 s. We may adjust this # for performance
    # reason later
    windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=

change lcd density (already in build.prop), which is like changing the resolution on a windows computer can be anywhere from 140 to 260 (under 200 not recommended because everything may be too small for the phone to be usable:
    ro.sf.lcd_density=

dalvik cache virtual memory size (already in build.prop)...can also help performance. set anywhere from 24m to 64m based on how complex your setup is. i.e. tons of apps, in depth theme, memory intensive apps, etc.
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=

incoming ringer delay (already in build.prop) sets how soon the phone starts ringing when a call comes in. set between 0 and 2000
    ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=

proximity delay. sets how long before screen turns off during call. set between 0 and 600
    # Proximit sensor screen off delay
    mot.proximity.delay=

tcp stack- optimizes data performance
    net.tcp.buffersize.default=6144,87380,1048576,6144,87380,1048576
    net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=87380,1048576,2097152,87380,1048576,2097152
    net.tcp.buffersize.lte=87380,524288,1048576,87380,524288,1048576
    net.tcp.buffersize.hsdpa=6144,87380,1048576,6144,87380,1048576
    net.tcp.buffersize.evdo_b=6144,87380,1048576,6144,87380,1048576
    net.tcp.buffersize.umts=6144,87380,1048576,6144,87380,1048576
    net.tcp.buffersize.gprs=6144,87380,1048576,6144,87380,1048576
    net.tcp.buffersize.edge=6144,87380,524288,6144,16384,262144
    net.tcp.buffersize.hspa=6144,87380,524288,6144,16384,262144

enable hardware acceleration
    # Render UI through GPU instead of CPU
    # Comment out if this causes laggy UI (it should speed up UI)
    debug.sf.hw=1

sleep mode for battery savings. 0 means power collapse suspend, 1 is power collapse (usually the best choice), 2 is apps go to sleep, 3 is show clock and wait, 4 is wait for interrupt...not sure which each one does or is good for, just know about this little tweak lol
    # Battery Savings (Sleep Mode)
    pm.sleep_mode=

more battery savings
    # When moving through zones or losing signal, having a delay
    # smooths out constant disconnects and reconnects, which in turn
    # saves a ton of battery life!
    ro.mot.eri.losalert.delay=1000

disable sending usage data
    ro.config.nocheckin=1

wifi scan interval (already in build.prop) can save battery as well. set from 15 to 999
    # Time between scans in seconds. Keep it high to minimize battery drain.
    # This only affects the case in which there are remembered access points,
    # but none are in range.
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=

ok, now for some useful links (all credit goes to the creators of these cool tweaks/apps/programs

v6 supercharger by zepplinrox http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18703418&postcount=5021

Deodex/odex tweak by Nibras, Reeza & Danzano (thanks to BrUhNiGGs for finding this) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/steel-droid/200388-ram-tweak-free-up-more-ram-make-apps-load-faster.html

setcpu for free (legitimately legal lol) SetCPU for Root Users [2.2.4] Undervolting and more 07/07/2011 - xda-developers

wifi tethering app Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

wired tethering app Downloads - android-wired-tether - Wired Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

easy install of adb (credit to ChevyNo1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/162984-your-1-adb-source-7-29-11-a.html

Guide to building a rom from source (credit to chevycam and SnkBitten)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/steel-droid/196475-guide-how-build-your-own-rom-cm7-source.html

cool version of droidforums app http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/178809-xparent-heavily-themed-droidforums-blue-app-b-boy-droid-does.html

Ok, here's a new section with just general tips, tricks and scripts

Useful terminal emulator scripts run as superuser (su)

*Using the debugging logging to report issues
    Code:
    logcat > /mnt/sdcard/logcat.txt
    wait 4-5 seconds then hold volume up and press f on the keyboard to stop it
    if logcat is disabled then do this instead
    Code:
    dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt
    wait 4-5 seconds then hold volume up and press f on the keyboard to stop it

*Find top CPU/memory using apps. value after -m is how many apps to show, value after -n is how many times to update (be sure to set this value or it will run endlessly until terminal is closed)
    Code:
    top -m 10 -n 1
    *Find md5sum for downloaded files (checks to ensure proper downloads especially for roms, just compare your result to whatever value the rom developer provides and they should match)
    Code:
    md5sum /mnt/sdcard/(file path on sdcard)
    For example
    Code:
    md5sum /mnt/sdcard/download/SD_9.0.0.zip
    *Use swap partition without swapper2.
    Add this script to the end of any file in the /etc/init.d folder. If you don't have one just run it in terminal emulator each reboot and run it in terminal first since sometimes its mmcblk0p2 instead of mmcblk0p3 depending on where you have the swap partition (or use the app script manager to make it run at boot. Script manager doesn't run continuously like swapper2)
    Code:
    swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    And to turn swap off
    Code:
    swapoff /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    *Setting swappiness
    Add or edit this line in the file etc/sysctl.config using whatever value you want, just keep the spaces (open in text editor)
    vm.swappiness = 30
    Or add this to the end of a script in init.d or run in terminal emulator
    Code:
    sysctl -w vm.swappiness=30
    *Loading a module for apps2sdext (link2sd style apps2sd)
    Run this in terminal emulator with superuser permission, substituting ext3 for whatever extension you want loaded (keep the .ko though)
    Code:
    insmod /system/lib/modules/ext3.ko
    or
    Code:
    modprobe ext3
    *Listing loaded modules
    Run this in terminal emulator with superuser permissions
    Code:
    lsmod
    *Forcing a hot reboot to clear caches
    Run this in terminal emulator with superuser permissions
    Code:
    pkill zygote
    *terminal tips-

Find list of many possible scripts to run
    Code:
    busybox
    List sysctl commands
    Code:
    sysct -h
    List first or last 10 lines of another scripts output (note | is not lower case L, its a separate character)
    First 10-
    Code:
    (script) | head
    Last 10
    Code:
    (script) | tail
    Example (list first 10 sysctl values)
    Code:
    sysctl -a | head
    Finding lines with certain letters/word in another scripts output
    Code:
    (script) | grep (letters/word)
    Example (show only sysctl lines with vm in them) (note | is not lower case L, its a separate character)
    Code:
    sysctl -a | grep vm
    Don't worry more to come soon :)

Ok, those are the well tested tweaks, now for a few experimental ones. Please make sure to have a backup ready to restore since these ARE experimental and may cause your rom not to load

improve peformance????
    Add this to the build.prop
    #disable the zygote loader
    ro.wmt.blcr.enable=0
    Fix app issues? (change it to 0 to improve performance)
    Add this to build.prop
    ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1

Change the I/O scheduler (effects how your phone reads and writes data)(first line tells you whats available and what you currently have in [ ], then put whichever one you want in the "" after echo, and the last line will confirm the change)
    Code:
    cat /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler
    for i in /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler
    do
    echo "deadline" > $i
    done
    cat /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler

Increse overall touch resposivness?
    Add these to build.prop
    debug.performance.tuning=1
    video.accelerate.hw=1
    ro.min_pointer_dur=8

Raise Photo and video quality?
    Add these to build.prop
    ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
    ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=8000000
    ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=8000000

Improve performance?
    change in build.prop
    ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED

change sdcard buffer speed
    run in terminal emulator as superuser (su) or put #!/system/bin/sh as first line and put in /system/etc/init.d (you can change the value in the "echo 512 > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb" line to suit your needs- common values are 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 3072, 4096, 5120, 6144)
    Code:
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]for i in /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/*[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]do[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]echo 2 > $i/read_ahead_kb[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]done[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]echo 2048 > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#3e3e3e]echo 2 > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/default/read_ahead_kb[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    or you can try just simply using the simple version
    Code:
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]echo 2048 > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Rom dependent tweaks (will only work if these features are included in your rom, most of the time they are but if not sure then ask the dev) add these to build.prop, 1 is on 0 is off
    help to free up unused ram-
    persist.sys.purgeable_assets=

stop usb debugging on notification-
    persist.adb.notify=

Force capacitive buttons to stay on while screen is on-
    ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=

Improve screen quality at the cost of performance-
    persist.sys.use.dithering=

Disable boot animation (use caution after wiping dalvik, it will appear to hang at the M but its usually still booting up all the way)
    dev.sfbootcomplete=0

Use dalvik JIT compiler (Just In Time compiler is much faster)
    dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Subscribed.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.
  3. baldybill

baldybill Member

Where in the file do I put some of these that are not there originally?

Also, can I copy the build.prop to my sd card, transfer it to the PC, edit it there, transfer it back, etc. ?
  4. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Interesting. I think this one should be in bold lol
  5. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Just about anywhere really. If you put them at the end just add an extra blank line to make sure they stick. And yes you can copy to your sdcard then computer to edit and put it back just make sure its named exactly build.prop when you put it back

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
    3g turbocharger
    Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
    19.8 linpack high score
    1843 quadrant high score
  6. baldybill

baldybill Member

Ok, consider me still a noob.

I have tried to open and edit the file via Astro/txteditor and it won't save it.
    I tried copying it off the droid, editing it, and transfering it back, and got a java error in trying to put it in the system folder.

What am I missing?
  7. metalspring

metalspring New Member

You need a file explorer that has root permissions like root explorer or even script manager will work

3g turbocharger
    Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
    19.8 linpack high score
    1843 quadrant high score
  8. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Yeah just make sure it has the same permissions it originally did when you put it back

3g turbocharger
    Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
    19.8 linpack high score
    1843 quadrant high score
  9. baldybill

baldybill Member

Ok, got that fix going.. a couple things:

After running this all, it seems like my battery is draining alittle faster (not drastically, but like instead of it dropping 10% overnight it now drops like closer to 20%)

Also, I see you have installd 3G Turbocharger - what is that and how do I install it?
    Also, I've seen things about a V6 supercharger script, should I run it now that I've done these tweaks?
  10. metalspring

metalspring New Member

The 3g turbocharger can help increase data speeds and the v6 supercharger helps with ram memory management, which can help with multi-tasking and improve performance overall...also a popular 3rd script is the kickasskernel tweak which can also help performance
    All of them can be found in the v6 supercharger link I provided

supercharged modified liquid 3.0 w/turbocharged 3g
    Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
    19.8 linpack score
    1856 quadrant score
  11. baldybill

baldybill Member

Thank you for these.

Anyone know why after I made the suggested tweaks to the build.prop why my battery drains faster? It drains 20-30 percent overnight instead of about 10 percent or less.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Probably because of the tcp stacks tweak and the hardware acceleration. Data is a big battery killer and being able to use more internet more quickly will lower battery life and the hardware acceleration might hurt battery life too.
    Could also be that these tweaks just need time to settle in. I usually wipe dalvik cache after these too to ensure no conflicting data

19.8 linpack score
    1856 quadrant score
  13. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Metalspring has agreed to update maintain this thread. So for now it is stuck!!
  14. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Already added in a new "section" for general tips, tweaks, and useful scripts

19.8 linpack score
    1856 quadrant score
  15. metalspring

metalspring New Member

added, another new experimental test section...btw after applying any of these tweaks, wipe dalvik cache and immediately reboot phone. (phone will be slower to boot up first time and slower for a few minutes until dalvik cache is fully rebuilt
  16. lovely2510

lovely2510 New Member

cool..so amazed of the vast knowledge you have.:icon_ banana:
  17. judithhowland

judithhowland New Member

my first post in the thread
  18. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Op updated with new tweaks at the bottom...enjoy ;)

sent from my ice cream sandwiched Droid 1 ;)
  19. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Ou, im going to try this tmmrw considering im using a stock-ish rom and doesnt give most of the features Liquid has included.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Thanks alot for these metalspring. U running That pre pre alpha ics ROM for the OG? Was thinking about loading it up n just testing it out for fun. Anyway, I'm curious about those experimental ones you just added. I sbf'd and started from scratch, so I should be able to tell a difference. Wanted to give a few of them a test drive.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
build prop tweak collection

build prop tweaks

build.prop ram tweaks

buildprop tweak for stock droid razr
droid x nocheckin value
gs3 3g signal scan tweaks
how to maintain ram by editing build.prop
increase ram build prop
max events per second android
motorola ultra cool tweaks, aps, downloading etc