One of the first with Netflix?

OP
Jessesmith888

Jessesmith888

Reaction score
I sure hope it makes it to the TB. Its my next phone and I have been waiting for the app for a long time. The sooner the better.

DX Liberty 1.5 ftw!

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
I doubt any current android fone will ever see netflix ( TB included) got tha app on my ipod touch but I never even use it...that's what my huge hdtv is for :p

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

zgruven

Reaction score
Until they come out with a battery that does drain so fast streaming netflix would be useless to me...

OP
Jessesmith888

Jessesmith888

Reaction score

krpiper

Reaction score
I'd be down for this, it would be a perfect reason to use that kickstand :D

on a side note how does playon work with Netflix? I was thinking of trying that

Zargon

Reaction score

The video playback was too choppy for my tastes on my Droid1.

krpiper

Reaction score

Stock D1? Wifi or 3g? Well I might wait to see if Netflix is on the TB, and I would assume the playback would be better

razor2006

Reaction score
If that is the case, and the hardware is there, then sweet deal. I'd say it could be entirely possible that a future software update, or something as simple as an App (more likely) could enable Netflix on the TB. I suppose time will tell. It would be smart to lock it to use WiFi only though. I could imagine how much bandwidth it would eat through. 4G overage charges, bleh.

Zargon

Reaction score

Stock D1? Wifi or 3g? Well I might wait to see if Netflix is on the TB, and I would assume the playback would be better

OC'ed @ 1 ghz with BB on wifi.

OP
Jessesmith888

Jessesmith888

Reaction score
So, anything new on this topic? Im guessing that this will be the first phone with netflix!dancedroid

robrecht

Reaction score
If the LG Revolution is to have support for Netflix then the Thunderbolt will too as both are to have the same MSM8655 second gen Snapdragon processor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(processor)
If that is the case, and the hardware is there, then sweet deal. I'd say it could be entirely possible that a future software update, or something as simple as an App (more likely) could enable Netflix on the TB. I suppose time will tell. ...
Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as that. It seems as if the processor also needs DRM (Digital Rights Management) security keys and libraries installed in the 'ARM TrustZone' of the processor. Note that the Qualcomm guy in the Engadget video says its available as an option that the OEM can choose (cf at 3:00).
Android-powered LG Revolution caught streaming Netflix at MWC (video) -- Engadget

It's hard to imagine two different versions of the MSM8655 processor; that would seem like poor branding by Qualcomm. I've tried to get an answer from both HTC and Qualcomm, but no luck so far.

Reaction score
Just a FYI: In the pre-production model of the TBolt that I have, there is no Netflix option or app to install on the device.