One of the biggest selling points for me GONE... HDMI out

soulpatch

Reaction score
So if the game systems are DLNA compatible, we woudl be able to stream directly to the TV through them and bypass the HDMI issues?

Lectoid

Reaction score
You know I didn't think it was, but after searching it is DLNA compatible. I use a program on my server called simply "PS3 Media Server" and my PS3 and xbox both can see it and stream media using that application.

hendrix

Reaction score
So if the game systems are DLNA compatible, we woudl be able to stream directly to the TV through them and bypass the HDMI issues?

Someone please say yes. I need the answer to be yes.

Even if it is the case, any video I have on my phone while at home, I can transfer to my PC that is plugged into my TV and watch it. Doesn't help me while I am traveling :(

soulpatch

Reaction score

Someone please say yes. I need the answer to be yes.

Even if it is the case, any video I have on my phone while at home, I can transfer to my PC that is plugged into my TV and watch it. Doesn't help me while I am traveling :(

I know when I travel with work I have my LapTop which is DLNA approved so I can stream my data from my phone to the hotel TV.

When I travel for pleasure though I do not always have a laptop or other device which will limit my abilities. I can only hope for a workaround to come soon for those moments or potentially a small DLNA adapter is in order to plug into the hotel TVs.

enigmarokker

Reaction score
Okay I just got my Droid X today and I'm furious to put it mildly...

This is my first post so Hello World... I'd like the thank the forum/website creator and all of the members for making such a cool community that I've been enjoying for quite some time now...

Even though I've been reading others talk for months now on this forum, I finally found the personal need to sign up and write the following...and I know this is just more of a rant...but I have to let it out...(and any feedback is appreciated and pardon my anger as its obviously not directed at any individuals here).

I got the Droid Incredible a month ago after waiting what seemed to be forever on back-order...however once I got it in the mail the thrill of using it was over for me as realized how close the Droid X was to releasing.... So I asked myself, what do I want most here? Stick with what I've got and use component-out and a smaller screen?...or get a sick looking motorola X with a larger screen and HDMI out (like the evo)...

Well I picked the HDMI out and larger screen Droid X and never opened the Incredible to even use it, I just simply returned it and waited until my Droid X came in...and as my phone arrived today (the X) with the HDMI cable that I WASTED my money on, I was thrilled and went to work on configuring the device to my liking (I had a Droid before all of this).

I finally plugged in my phone and googled the "how to enable hdmi out droid x" and was shocked after reading this forum and seeing much more info on this matter that I'm pretty much UNABLE to do anything that I want to with this dumb output...

As st*pid as you all may (or may not) think my decision for this is; I'm again contemplating returning my motorola droid X and instead going back the HTC Incredible when it becomes available once more. Why? Because one thing I THINK that many people have overlooked while discussing this topic, is that HTC Incredible DOES allow EVERYTHING to video out. Sure there may be performance differences or little things here and there, but the POINT is that I can video out everything I'd want for the most part aside from actually testing it myself.

Everyone talking about how the droid X might not have full HDMI out for certain things due to COPYRIGHT?! seems like an unacceptable excuse/reason for me...If its because of blockbuster then Scr*w you Blockbuster, youre almost out of business anyways...

Even though it often gets nowhere I'm also writing a letter to Motorola and Verizon about it as I feel it was incredibly misleading. After all its NOT hard to mention "HDMI-out for GALLERY only"...

I know a phone isnt REALLY a full-fledged computer but commonly in the technology world I'd say that when a device reads "HDMI-out" in its specs, one would assume that mostly everything would be capable of "streaming" a video HDMI source out! At LEAST if there was a "function" for a dev to enable HDMI for certain apps (or not permit it fine, I dont care...obviously a million devs cant re-write their programs if they dont was users to video out after the fact)... I without a doubt never thought the hdmi out would be so locked down. I figured "hey maybe slingplayer and my other after market apps WONT work with the driver...but at LEAST the main OS applications like viewing the web and many other things might..." Right?

Point is, HTC had the balls to release full video out on the incredible with Verizon's network and why can't Droid X???? Please correct me if I'm wrong there in terms of sheer principle on the matter.

Here's proof of the HTC Droid Incredible with full video out... Video - TV Output on DROID Incredible by HTC - Mobile

Now why did I want HDMI out so bad and the larger screen?

New PSX emulator and other emulators to be displayed full screen on my TV while connected to a bluetooth controller (would be SICK right? the utlimate in portability.)

Youtube on my, or my friends TV.

If on vacation or traveling for work or to a client, stream my slingplayer onto a full tv to show something....

HDMI out a powerpoint presentation I made for work and NOT need to carry my laptop...

Remote Desktop Enterprise or LogMeIn on HDMI out...

Surf the web on a larger screen when its available and AGAIN...NOT have to carry my laptop around.

Motorola has profoundly p*s53d me off with this move and I personally consider it a major set-back towards preventing this device from becoming more of a TRUE portable computer where one WOULDN'T have to rely on a laptop as much (as least in my cases), IF they actually had an HDMI-out...

I'm praying within a few weeks (before my return period is over), that someone will perhaps find a way to fix this. I know thats asking for a lot too because this phone may prove to be far more difficult to root or anything to that degree.

I'm so angry that I just got this new phone and was really excited while setting it up and BAM...slapped by the Dissapointment-Beast at Motorola and Debby Downer at Verizon Wireless.

Dont get me wrong...I LOVE the Android OS...but come on...

Thanks Droid X. I appreciate it. :icon_evil: dancedroid:icon_evil: <==== Droix X

JCo352

Reaction score
Well then. Welcome to the forums :) And yes it does suck.

Mojo

Reaction score
enigmarokker I totaly agree with you. It does suck. I personaly think one of two things will happen. 1) motorola will fix this with a software patch in the near future. Or 2) Root will be gained and Developers will fix this. (the second one is the most likly to happen.)

I think the boot loader issues is and has been overhyped... and in its self will not prevent rooting the device anyways.. only prevent custom roms. Motorola already has a huge developer community, and with the potential of so many features that really can be tapped into (some as you mentoned in your post) I think it will draw even more Dev's to take a look. As well as it being a challenge, I think that will attract developers to try to hack it as well.

If I was a Dev.. and I read something could not be hacked.. well, I think that is the first thing I would try to hack.

jtdiddy

Reaction score
this will be one of the first things hacked...

i'm sure everyone will want this feature so it will be one of the first things hacked on the X by the Dev's

if not, i wouldn't be surprised if this limitation is not addressed in an upcoming OS update, maybe 6mo to a yr from now to keep X owners happy when the next big phone comes out.

RedCappedBandit

Reaction score
Registered to agree with enigma. Our experiences are exactly the same.. I exchanged the DInc for the X, and the HDMI was definitely a factor in that decision.
Motorola's marketing is misleading to say the least. Outrageous.

Sorry for bumping an oldish thread, but damn.

FastEddie

Reaction score
I read about this, but I took it as a rumor, now it's confirmed.
I'll copy paste it from the user guide pdf:

HDMI
Note: You can view only user-generated content—your
own photos and recorded videos . You cannot view
commercial content—photos or videos that you
purchased and downloaded

This almost killed it for me (got my reasons). I might now wait for a device which I can connect to my HDTV and view my movies, my NES emulator, youtube, etc...

And while dlna I believe is the answer for movies (at home), it won't make a difference for the rest of my concerns...
I watch avi of any moive and watch it on my 52" in 720 with no prob. And Videos XXX any thing. I just pull the micro sd and put moives in a folder that i made videos. abd find them in the gallery.

Last edited:

PACanesFan

Reaction score
Interesting. I was considering buying the multimedia dock. The talking head at the Verizon store specifically said you can use it to stream Youtube onto your TV via HDMI. I'm glad I didn't buy it now.

Izzo01

Reaction score
I read about this, but I took it as a rumor, now it's confirmed.
I'll copy paste it from the user guide pdf:

HDMI
Note: You can view only user-generated content—your
own photos and recorded videos . You cannot view
commercial content—photos or videos that you
purchased and downloaded

This almost killed it for me (got my reasons). I might now wait for a device which I can connect to my HDTV and view my movies, my NES emulator, youtube, etc...

And while dlna I believe is the answer for movies (at home), it won't make a difference for the rest of my concerns...
I watch avi of any moive and watch it on my 52" in 720 with no prob. And Videos XXX any thing. I just pull the micro sd and put moives in a folder that i made videos. abd find them in the gallery.

I did the same I pulled the Transformers Movies off my HD2 before I sold it and uploaded them to the X they play fine, but I think everyone here is refer to stuff they DL direct to the phone.