One of the biggest selling points for me GONE... HDMI out

hendrix

Reaction score
How big a SD card has this thing got again? Reason I ask is I have two TiVo's at home and a one hour high definition show usually 5-7 gb long. So a movie would run probably at least 15 gb in 720p HD.

If you got the space I guess it won't be a problem, but if anyone is seriously thinking that you can stream one of these movies in from Netflix or Amazon, I think you better think again. You probably will have to download the movie and then play it. That's with a work around.

And if you're going to end up using a computer anyway why not just download the darn thing right into the computer and not bother with the Droid?

If you are streaming, size doesn't matter since you wouldn't have the whole video on your phone at one time. That being said, it comes with 24gigs of storage and HD videos from the net tend to be around 4gig for 2 hours of 720p.

sphen22

Reaction score
I still wont be impressed until they offer a package where the graft the x into your forearm and it runs of the electricity in your body.

OP
Xpain

Xpain

Reaction score
How big a SD card has this thing got again? Reason I ask is I have two TiVo's at home and a one hour high definition show usually 5-7 gb long. So a movie would run probably at least 15 gb in 720p HD.

If you got the space I guess it won't be a problem, but if anyone is seriously thinking that you can stream one of these movies in from Netflix or Amazon, I think you better think again. You probably will have to download the movie and then play it. That's with a work around.

And if you're going to end up using a computer anyway why not just download the darn thing right into the computer and not bother with the Droid?
What are you talking about? These movies won't be anywhere near 15GB... lmao
And if I'm home, it's not a problem, I have a Blu-ray player, XBox360, desktop PC X 2, laptop... so I wouldn't use my phone too often for that, but because of work, I have to be away from home quite often, and entertainment in my pocket would be priceless (can't take / use my 19" laptop everywhere). I guess everyone's scenario will be different, this HDMI issue won't be a problem for you and many others, while it will be a problem for me and many others as well.

coondogg97

Reaction score

Ripping a Standard DVD is between 5GB-7GB, Blu-Ray is between 50GB-70GB.

hendrix

Reaction score

Ripping a Standard DVD is between 5GB-7GB, Blu-Ray is between 50GB-70GB.

And when you compress it to H.264 it becomes 600mb - 700mb for a DVD and if you down convert a blu-ray to 720p you can get it to 3.7gb - 4.3gb.

That being said, i would put $5 on the reason for this is because the droid x (probably) won't do hdcp.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ripping a Standard DVD is between 5GB-7GB, Blu-Ray is between 50GB-70GB
We are getting off topic, but this is correct. And I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have a list of how big each recording is on my TiVo. And a 2 hour movie would be between 12-16 gb in 720p.

hendrix

Reaction score

Ripping a Standard DVD is between 5GB-7GB, Blu-Ray is between 50GB-70GB
We are getting off topic, but this is correct. And I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have a list of how big each recording is on my TiVo. And a 2 hour movie would be between 12-16 gb in 720p.

12-16gb in mpeg2 (POSSIBLY mpeg4 but at those sizes, doubt it). You can use a more efficient compression algorithm (that the droid can handle) and lower bit rate to get it MUCH lower than that.

doctagadget

Reaction score
Once rooted, I am sure there will be an app for that...

The bootloader is probably be signed like all the motorola phones except the droid. The rooting the droid x might take many months.,

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

diebold

Reaction score
Oh come on guys, that's to scare people into behaving (and so that motorola and verizon can't be held liable for the end users breaking copyright).

nothing to see here, move along. :)

soba1

Reaction score
Oh come on guys, that's to scare people into behaving (and so that motorola and verizon can't be held liable for the end users breaking copyright).

nothing to see here, move along. :)

Makes sense to me

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Highly doubt that a rooted user won't eventually have a way around this restriction.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Highly doubt that a rooted user won't eventually have a way around this restriction.

For most things...

I could definitely see things like BlockBuster downloads being DRM-protected in a way that we may not get around (at least not with an "acceptable" work-around that doesn't take far too much time/effort).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

For most things...

I could definitely see things like BlockBuster downloads being DRM-protected in a way that we may not get around (at least not with an "acceptable" work-around that doesn't take far too much time/effort).
For most... I agree. Not all.

But HDMI out is in it's infancy in a mobile device. As the technology grows companies like BB and Netflix will work to find a way to take advantage of it.

Mojo

Reaction score
Since the droid x has all the drivers and hardware there for HDMI out put. All someone will need to do is create an app that uses that out put to show what is on your screen. Simular to what the HTC incredible does now.