One more time micro SDSC VS SDHC

sohccammer427

Reaction score
sdsc = secure digital standard capacity
sdhc= secure digital high capacity

From wiki:

SDHC cards are physically and electrically identical to standard-capacity SD cards (SDSC). The major compatibility issues between SDHC and SDSC cards are the redefinition of the Card-Specific Data (CSD) register in Version 2.0, and the fact that SDHC cards are shipped preformatted with the FAT32 file system.

Host devices that accept SDHC cards are required to accept SDSC cards. However, host devices designed for SDSC do not recognize SDHC or SDXC memory cards, although some devices can do so through a firmware upgrade. Older operating systems require patches to support SDHC. For instance, Microsoft Windows XP before SP3 requires a patch to support access to SDHC cards. Windows Vista SP1 also requires a later service pack.

So, sdhc devices are backward compatible to accept sdsc cards, sdsc devices do not support the high capacity cards.

I was looking at a Huawei H881C Ascend Plus. It explicitly states that it takes a micro sdsc card, not a sdhc. This would be ok except it says the sdsc capatity can be up to 32GB. From what I can tell, the max on a sdsc card is 2GB.

Maybe I will just stick with my flip phone.