One Last Selfie (resulting in an airstrike)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
111010092214-creech-air-force-base-drone-story-top.jpg

You would think that one of the requirements for being part of a criminal underworld would be to give up one's smartphone. Well thankfully for the good guys the bad guys had a person who loved taking selfies.

A member of ISIS took a selfie of himself and posted it on social media which allowed American Intelligence to locate and bomb the facility. Hopefully more ISIS terrorists will take selfies of themselves and post it on social media to make it easier for our Intelligence to locate them.

US Air Force Targets and Destroys ISIS HQ Building Using Social Media Defense Tech

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Glad he wanted that last selfie... Baaahahahahahaha.. This sounds like something achmed the dead terrorist would do lmao

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is the kind of press that really we would benefit from not having disseminated. Telling your enemy how you thwarted them in the past will only alert them to flaws in their protocol that can then be addressed and we lose that edge. I'd rather that intelligence remain in the hands of the need to know.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Totally agree FK, Probably disseminated by an aid that isn't too bright, and wanting kudos. Just STFU and kill the fools, we'll give you kudos when they are all a pink mist.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the smart and high-level terrorists know better than to even carry a phone...maybe a burner but that would be it.

Just like there are stupid criminals, you'll have stupid terrorists.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah, but the smart and high-level terrorists know better than to even carry a phone...maybe a burner but that would be it.

Just like there are stupid criminals, you'll have stupid terrorists.
Agreed, but high level terrorists are sometimes in the company of the low-level terrorists and if the low-level terrorists are stupid enough to take selfies that identify where they are then we sure as hell don't want them to know we can find out where they are from those selfies that those stupid low level terrorists took!

And if the high-level terrorists are stupid enough to be in company with the low-level terrorists that are stupid enough to take the selfies, then again, we don't want them to know we can use them against them.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And if the high-level terrorists are stupid enough to be in company with the low-level terrorists that are stupid enough to take the selfies, then again, we don't want them to know we can use them against them.

But being stupid means you're inherently too stupid to know better...lacking the ability to research and learn is WHY they're stupid in the first place.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Any possibility that some stupid isil people are on this site and now know more and will protect themselves?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any possibility that some stupid isil people are on this site and now know more and will protect themselves?
I read this from sites that are more popular than ours so the information is already out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Oh I know, just a little fun speculation. ISIL has already been boasting on Twitter etc, and if they think they're above being watched and pinpointed, they're really stupid. Our politicians are probably just waiting for the leading weeks to election time to do anything important, so innocents will continue to die for "their" cause...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh I know, just a little fun speculation. ISIL has already been boasting on Twitter etc, and if they think they're above being watched and pinpointed, they're really stupid. Our politicians are probably just waiting for the leading weeks to election time to do anything important, so innocents will continue to die for "their" cause...
But I agree with the point others and @FoxKat made that this should have been kept silent because now the bad guys will be tighter with their security.

But coming from a military family if this information was released then it probably was a no biggie as the military can control the press especially if the information would give up positions. From the site I pulled the information from they gave enough info without saying which social network as well as quotes from military personnel. So about time we hear the info they either exhausted the resource or cleaned it up enough to not give away strategy.

Because we all know the government monitors social network. If your employer monitor your social network than it really is not a secret that the government does the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I just believe the world would be a better place if the media was hogtied.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there's any selfies out there that happened to catch the coming drone strike in the background.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just believe the world would be a better place if the media was hogtied.

I agree and disagree.

One, the military have manipulated the media many times, read up on how we use the media to win the Gulf War in the 90s.
I am not going to say there aren't any leaks but they are few. They have areas they allow the media to go and military personnel have been briefed endlessly on what to say and what not to say to the media. In a militarized zone the press can only put out what was told to them and most of the time what was shared was shared by a high level officer who is not going to risk their position over press. And the military for the most part have their own press personnel who work in the field and if they are drawing a check and taking orders from uncle sam then you know they are putting out the press uncle sam allows. They just feed the fishes (the fishes being the media). Example: For those who have been on a military base you know where you can go and where you are not allowed to go and one area you will not go are where you require top secret clearance. Yet we have enough information put out about our capabilities just to let the world know we mean business without them knowing the detail.

But we can not have freedom of speech and then want to hogtie the media. With some of the stuff that goes on here in the states (especially in Washington) I am all for the media. I just wish we had more news where the info was put out there with out a slant but then I realize all media (potentially) has a bias and I need to have enough sense to look at the entire angle of a situation and not just what is put before me.