One click root?

mattym320

Reaction score
One click root access that came out yesterday... thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One click root access that came out yesterday... thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

From what I've read it works.

My concern about "one click root" apps has not changed through the years and that is: it will lead some folks into rooting without the necessary knowledge to get out trouble if they encounter issues. If folks read until they thoroughly understand what the rooting process is and decide to use a one-click just to save some typing, ok. But they decide they do not need to understand what's being done to their phone, well that another..... I'm sort of old fashioned and think people should learn how to do all this stuff and follow the guidelines. I don't think folks should even use Rom Manager to install roms, make backups, etc. They should do it manually. But that's just me and I know thousands and thousands of folks are using Rom Manager everyday. So there you go....

Just my opinion and YMMV!!

Good luck.

adr3nalin3

Reaction score
My concern about "one click root" apps has not changed through the years and that is: it will lead some folks into rooting without the necessary knowledge to get out trouble if they encounter issues. If folks read until they thoroughly understand what the rooting process is and decide to use a one-click just to save some typing, ok. But they decide they do not need to understand what's being done to their phone, well that another.....

I think this pretty much sums up the pros/cons of the one click methods to rooting. I spent a whole week reading up on rooting before I actually took the plunge on my OG droid. Took about an hour to do because I was doing everything very slowly and meticulously, but the result was miraculous. Couple months later, my wife wanted me to root her phone. Decided to try the one click method and it was a breeze to say the least. However, the results for myself and my wife were drastically different since I actually knew what I was doing by rooting and ROMing the phones while she had no idea what it meant; she just thought it would make her phone work better (which it did). I had to sit and explain everything to her at one point because she was finding a lot of new things she could do with her phone.

Couldn't have agreed with Bayou more on the Rom Manager comment. To this day, I haven't once flashed a ROM using ROM Manager. Partially because I would always have FC issues when I did so...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
From what I've read it works.

My concern about "one click root" apps has not changed through the years and that is: it will lead some folks into rooting without the necessary knowledge to get out trouble if they encounter issues. If folks read until they thoroughly understand what the rooting process is and decide to use a one-click just to save some typing, ok. But they decide they do not need to understand what's being done to their phone, well that another..... I'm sort of old fashioned and think people should learn how to do all this stuff and follow the guidelines. I don't think folks should even use Rom Manager to install roms, make backups, etc. They should do it manually. But that's just me and I know thousands and thousands of folks are using Rom Manager everyday. So there you go....

Just my opinion and YMMV!!

Good luck.
Couldn't agree more. These methods are extremely easy, anyone can click a button, and this leads to people not knowing what they're really doing. That's when threads like "I'm rooted, how do I flash a ROM?" show up. There are helpful guidelines on this forum and these are the types of threads people need to read first THEN decide whether to go the one-click route or manually do it, if rooting is what they choose. I admit to using ROM Manager before I really got into flashing ROMs and it was easy, but once I got directions that didn't have to do with ROM manager then I had to do a bit more research than I would've wanted. Here's my lesson from my experience: Read the guidelines, read it again, and understand what is being done. That's my .02

pool_shark

Reaction score
The first time I rooted I did it via the command line on my phone.
I don't beleive typing what you read equals understanding and therefore I don't have a problem with one click root methods.

I also don't believe that using a one click method means you are incapable of understanding should the need arise.

I don't see anything wrong with using an easier method if there is one available.

I write ksh scripts at work all the time, I even have a few on my phone. If I can download a script from the internet to help me do my job more easily and effectively I will.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I've read it works. My concern about "one click root" apps has not changed through the years and that is: it will lead some folks into rooting without the necessary knowledge to get out trouble if they encounter issues. If folks read until they thoroughly understand what the rooting process is and decide to use a one-click just to save some typing, ok. But they decide they do not need to understand what's being done to their phone, well that another..... I'm sort of old fashioned and think people should learn how to do all this stuff and follow the guidelines. I don't think folks should even use Rom Manager to install roms, make backups, etc. They should do it manually. But that's just me and I know thousands and thousands of folks are using Rom Manager everyday. So there you go.... Just my opinion and YMMV!! Good luck.
Great post. I used to always tell people this back when I was on overclocking teams/forums. People would always just want a one step method to overclocking CPU's/GPU's and it's like, well there are ways, but you really can't safely do anything until you've gone through the steps and done the research yourself. I never felt safe handing over some BIOS settings to someone looking to increase their benchmark scores which could result in their CPU melting. Having said that, I feel as though phones are a bit safer, especially the Nexus. Since you need root to do pretty much anything custom, a one click root method is very useful for the Nexus and I do think that it can be beneficial to many people who are interested in doing a little custom work but don't know how/little apprehensive to root.