One Click Root Methods Not Working

OP
S

schwoates

Reaction score
I thank you all for your responses and I have decided to hold off on this because I don't want to brick my phone. I knew to not flash to an older version so I didn't even try to mess with that. I did try to manually gain root access by using the adb shell method and by moving appropriate files with nautilus in linux. This however, was also not successful. Please let me know of any news on the ability to gain root access with 629.

OP
S

schwoates

Reaction score
So I wanted to start this back up and see if anybody has figured anything out as I would really like to root my phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

MrCatPC

Reaction score
So, to be clear (gimme a break, it was my birthday yesterday, so yes, ** I was born yesterday **), does this method address R2D2 users on Android 2.3.4, System 4.5.622.A957.Verizon.en.US, who would like to root? (Hint: like me?)

I hesitate to do anything SBF-wise since others have noted a new problem can occur when attempting to roll back to earlier ROMs, especially after the 2.3.4/4.5.622 OTA successfully installed over my stock SBF-flashed 2.3.3 device and has been overall working much more smoothly than VZW's prior stock software ever did (stock and rooted alike, was much more buggy before this).

No urgent, desperate desire to root my R2D2 immediately, just waiting til somebody more skilled in the kitchen says it's ready. I miss my Titanium Backup Root & AdAway apps more than anything else root-wise, and of course I'd like to rename the bootanimation script's "Spunky Attitude OGG" ringtone so it can't fire at startup (the original reason I rooted this device shortly after purchase).

Rather not sweat through another unbricking session like I encountered when preparing to SBF & take on the 4.5.622 OTA, if it can be rooted "painlessly" ... So any R2D2 owners braver than I, please? (Steps back)

Garbled Subspace Transmission from R2D2

[EDIT]: *derp!* Sorry, Silver6054, just found your recommendation here (post #11): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=203326 re SBF issues etc...

I'll keep hunting and remain calm, patiently awaiting good news. :)K

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
The link posted is specific to the D2G on 4.5.629, and won't work on the Droid 2 R2D2. However, the general method probably will, but that needs the repacked SBF files for that particular model.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
And WOW, thanks for the super fast response! I hadn't completely finished eating my foot. :)K

* You rock my socks! *

Thanks again, Silver6054

End Transmission from R2D2

OP
S

schwoates

Reaction score

Thank you so much for posting this here. This seems to be working for people so I guess it answers my question, but, I would really like to find a way that I don't have to worry about SBF'ing to an older version as I have never done anything with that and don't really want to risk messing anything up. Is there any way to do this without flashing to an older version or could you provide a step-by-step way to do everything (again as I have no experience with SBF)? Thank you for your response and your help.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
how to SBF
SBF - The DROID Wiki

edit: there is no other way to root with .629, it's fairly safe just follow instructions
download rootkeeper before you start

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
Yes, I was going to recommend that (except for the bit where it says there are two SBF files available and lists three!). You should probably use the latest version of RSDLite you can find, which is 5.6 or greater now I think).

Follow the instructions in the Wiki, particularly making sure you have enough battery and have current Moto drivers. After you flash the first SBF (the 4.5.608 one) your phone will be "bricked", stuck at the bootloader screen with an MEM_MAP error message. That is fine. Once you flash the second one, that problem will go away.
As listed in the rootzwiki thread, you may find that once the phone is up following the second SBF, Wifi won't work. That's OK as well. After installing rootkeeper, applying a root exploit, and backing up root with rootkeeper, apply the .629 update, Wifi will then work. If the phone radios don't work, a factory reset will fix that.

It's not complex, but if you are unsure, don't do it! You don't really want to have root without a method to get back if something goes wrong.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
You don't really want to have root without a method to get back if something goes wrong.
if something goes wrong use the 629 SBF

silver6054

Reaction score
if something goes wrong use the 629 SBF
Right, but my comment was in the context of the poster saying "(again as I have no experience with SBF)"

Also, have people confirmed that the .629 SBF works fine? I thought I saw a comment about something (GPS?) not working, but can't find it.

silver6054

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. But I am surprised that you can flash the 629 update over a 629 SBF. I thought the update would be expecting .608 files so it wouldn't work.

chigo17

Reaction score
Need to root and unband my D2G on 2.3.4 for AT&T

Ok, thanks. But I am surprised that you can flash the 629 update over a 629 SBF. I thought the update would be expecting .608 files so it wouldn't work.

I may not be new to flashing and bootloading, but am entirely new to the android world. I've been with Windows. I have been reading the thread since the root for .629 came out. I was about to root my D2G running on 2.3.4 and .629 and go ahead to do the band unlock. But with the latest posting about full 629 SBF update, that takes care of the gps problem, what is your recommendation for me?

I want to root and unband my D2G for US gsm band.

Please, I'll need instruction as I mentioned that I'm entirely new to android. Sorry to take you back.

Help!

googlopper

Reaction score
You want to unlock Global / GSM/UTMA for travel abroad or for another carrier? If the former just get the unlock code for overseas travel. You'll probably need some more unlocking to get an open phone.

PLEASE tell me: I have D2G 2.3.4 and all I want to do is root the thing cause I can take it from there? Please let me know to any successful root method for this phone. THANX