One click root ETA?

Arachnidus

Reaction score
Making the transition from a D2 to a TB was not all that hard. I love this phone. Replaced Sense with Launcherpro, and it took a bit, but I managed to finally get this phone up to par. Except for the bloatware and the bevy of root related fun, of course. I've got neither the attentiveness nor technical luck(ADB doesn't like my computer) to do a manual root, so a one click/simplified root is pretty much my only chance, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

Seeing as we've already established permroot, anybody care to wager as to when we'll finally be able to do it with ease?

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I'd give it a couple weeks. Not a big deal for me since there really isn't much you can do with root access at this point besides remove all of the bloatware. I rooted my d1 the old fashion way so the process for the tbolt doesn't scare me, I'm just gonna wait til its perfected a bit. Like I said, until we start seeing custom roms, kernels, themes etc., I don't really feel the need to jump on the bandwagon just so I can say "i have a rooted 'bolt!!! Woot woot!!!"

Sent from my ADR6400L

sansavi

Reaction score
I'd give it a couple weeks. Not a big deal for me since there really isn't much you can do with root access at this point besides remove all of the bloatware. I rooted my d1 the old fashion way so the process for the tbolt doesn't scare me, I'm just gonna wait til its perfected a bit. Like I said, until we start seeing custom roms, kernels, themes etc., I don't really feel the need to jump on the bandwagon just so I can say "i have a rooted 'bolt!!! Woot woot!!!"

Sent from my ADR6400L

I'm with you there. I'm probably gonna hold off until I see PE, MIUI, CM and other roms I've used pop up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

lnslip

Reaction score
I rooted today using the ADB method and it wasnt nearly as bad as it looks.

lortay78

Reaction score
I don't know. I admit I am a little scared of adb. I have it running, but I freeze up right after I show devices. I would love a one click of some type, and I would donate more than a few beers for it.
On the other hand, I would love to learn, and become proficient in adb... I just don't think I want to learn it at the expense of my tb. I would love for just a really detailed tutorial on the adb method exclusive to this phone, and current sdk/adb. I would do it if I knew exactly where to unzip the files, where they are placed, and precisely what commands need to be entered.
I am still not sure about the thunderbolt. I sort of miss my X., but I felt the same way when it was new too. Some of my apps wont work, the battery is horrible, I can't talk hands free with the aux plugged into my car, my mp4 movies are awful... etc.

macdonaldj2

Reaction score
I rooted my D1 the old fashioned way, but it was around the time UD7.0 was out that was the first ROM I put on my phone so...I would assume by then it was streamlined...I asked the TeamAndIRC via twitter, and he replied 1-2 weeks...and I'm in no rush either

_33

Reaction score
I can't get ADB to run on my laptop. My old laptop, which died recently, had everything setup for OG Droid rooting. I've done a bunch of them. Now I'm just stuck... says I need to DL some Java file, which I DL but won't install.

Bad techy weekend for me.

I've never used any one click rooting method, but if I can skip using ADB I'll be a happy boy.

lortay78

Reaction score
I can't get ADB to run on my laptop. My old laptop, which died recently, had everything setup for OG Droid rooting. I've done a bunch of them. Now I'm just stuck... says I need to DL some Java file, which I DL but won't install.

I've never used any one click rooting method, but if I can skip using ADB I'll be a happy boy.

I took the plunge, and it worked perfectly. The java wouldn't install for me either, as i already have it. I think almost everyone does. I am no expert though. It let me download, but said it was already installed. I think it is just basic java runtime.

lnslip

Reaction score
Not the regular java. The JDK development kit

lortay78

Reaction score

You probably want to ask someone who knows more than me... but I think that is just if you are going to develop apps and download the whole sdk platform. For adb you only need part of it.
All I know, is that i didn't install anything I didn't already have from java, and I was able to run adb. I just had to go in and add adb in my path.

detox

Reaction score
lortay78

The files that you unzipping need to be unzipped to the folder where your adb files are located. That is the one included in you environment path. Mine is platform tools so when I fire up adb I change directory to platform tools and then go from there.

cd \android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

Then you can start pushing the files to your device

Make sure adb recognizes your device first before pushing files. Type this command to see if you are set up correctly

adb devices

This will show you device connected

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

mark3748

Reaction score

You probably want to ask someone who knows more than me... but I think that is just if you are going to develop apps and download the whole sdk platform. For adb you only need part of it.
All I know, is that i didn't install anything I didn't already have from java, and I was able to run adb. I just had to go in and add adb in my path.

If you want to use the installer for the Android SDK, it searches for the JDK, but you can use the adb binary without java installed at all.

_33

Reaction score

I took the plunge, and it worked perfectly. The java wouldn't install for me either, as i already have it. I think almost everyone does. I am no expert though. It let me download, but said it was already installed. I think it is just basic java runtime.

I can't get the Java to install at all. I keep getting an error message about verifying the install package. I tried for over 2 hours last night. ADB told me it needed a JDK install... so yeah I don't know.

I'm not real good with this stuff, but I can follow directions. I'm giving up now though. I'll wait for one click.

lortay78

Reaction score
Hey detox, thank you. I figured it out yesterday. Rooted with s-off!