one button root

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
oh ok thanks. i thought i was opening the driver file folder not a website link. downloading the drivers now.

the person that i'm helping out said that he seems to keep getting hung up when installing the recovery. have you heard of any issues like that? thanks for your help, i really can't screw this up.
Make sure you have the SDk installed and adb shell into it

nerdkill

Reaction score
i'm using the unrevoked method. do i still need to do all of that? or is the program and drivers i downloaded from the site have everything installed in it. sorry i have so many questions.

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You need the SDk for the computer to communicate with the phone.

nerdkill

Reaction score
is there a step by step thread anywhere to do this? i don't want to keep bugging you with questions. i need to know where to download the sdk and exactly what i need to do. i don't see anything on the unrevoked site about needing the sdk or anything like that.

also, on the driver install instructions it says "download the driver and expand somewhere you'll remember it" by expand do they mean unzip?

nerdkill

Reaction score
that's awesome. i'll give it a go at lunch time. bye the way, how is the froyo rom? is it stable. i wanted to put it on for him, but if it has issues i'd rather not have to deal with it.

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Download Rom Manager cm6 test8 is very stable but cam corder doesnt work.

shortbus99

Reaction score
*warning* i'm new to all of this

how i rooted dinc, for windows os(very easy for noobs)

1) download this: unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.1
2) unzip, and open folder
3) double click explorer link named: hboot driver
4) follow noob-friendly instructions (note: the step-Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next...the file YOU want to browse for is named: hboot driver_files(comes with your unrevoked download)
5) after you followed all the intructions for hboot drivers, reboot your phone, set your phone to (mount as charge only)
6)go to: settings, applications, development, and check usb debigging
7) on your computer in your folder where you downloaded unrevoked, double click reflash...the root/reflash window will pop up with progress messages at the bottom of it (check bottom of post for possible problem with this step)
8) it should go through a series of messages and auto reboot your phone
9) now your rooted, but NOT DONE YET, you still have to create a nandriod backup
10) turn off phone, then hold power button, and volume down, you'll get the white screen
11) use (volume down) button to select (recovery), press power button to enter clockwork recovery
12) scroll down using (volume down) till u get to nandroid), press trac ball to select, and it will back up your phone so that if u ever want to go back to "stock" u will have it
13) when done go to reboot phone and select and ur done

the only problem i ever ran into - if the program hangs with the message (waiting for device. plug phone in now and enable usb debugging), exit out of reflash, turn off debugging, unplug usb coord from phone, plug coord back in and start from step 5 again...i dropped my first phone and broke it so i've used this method 2 times now and both times i seemed to get the same problem, wheni would reboot my phone after installing the hboot drivers i wouldn't get the pop up on my phone asking how i want to mount my device to my computer, and the reflash would hang on the (waiting for device) message, but other then that i've had absolutly no problems doing it this way

....for the record I'M A COMPLETE NOOB WHEN IT COMES TO THIS KIND OF THING, i just wanted to post my version of rooting for dinc specifically directed towards other noobs, only because i feel like most people that make the root guides assume that people doing this have a certian knowledge about "tech-stuff" or are confident in what their doing...so i just wanted to post this for anyone like me

....ohh and all the tech-savey people that are going to read this plz feel free to tear this post a new one if I am misleading anyone into fkin up their phone, i just wanted to post the way i did it

Last edited:

willowave

Reaction score
I'm new to this (not computers tho I know linux pretty well), just got my Droid Inc a week ago. So I'm trying to root it with the unrevoked hack. I installed the drivers that it says to install, I have it set and have turned the usb debugging on and off several times, I have it set to "disk drive"...BUT the unrevoked box keep saying that its waiting for the phone. I've checked a few places and watched a couple "root the inc" and from what I can see I'm doing everything right. I did NOT install the sdk stuff but from what I have seen that is not needed anymore, correct?
I have tried different USB ports, and I have tried different ways (when I plug the phone in, when I change to debug, and even rebooting the computer /and or rebooting the phone) and nothing is getting the unrevoked hack to see the phone. Windows does see the phone...so I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Leave it on charge only and USB debugging on.